Hondata R&D finds limit of Civic CVT

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
these are turbo cars, if you want to make a quick start off the line you have to build boost in the engine. Hold the brake, revs up to about 3000 rpm hold for a second or two so that the boost builds, release the brake and go.
On turbo race cars some are spraying nitrous to spool the turbo at the line to build boost before launching. Once you have a turbo setup you pretty much have to load the engine to launch with any sort of power.
Sponsored

largelybored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
On the issue of stammering when coming to a stop with a CVT equipped car.. What if the car is keeping the torque converter locked up in order to maintain no fueling until the last possible moment? And when we vary the amount of brake pedal input in order to come to a smooth stop, it gets confused about if we're really coming to a stop and it doesn't know what to do with itself, lock or unlock, fuel or defuel, and not to mention set the CVT ratio.

Just one theory.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the issue of stammering when coming to a stop with a CVT equipped car.. What if the car is keeping the torque converter locked up in order to maintain no fueling until the last possible moment? And when we vary the amount of brake pedal input in order to come to a smooth stop, it gets confused about if we're really coming to a stop and it doesn't know what to do with itself, lock or unlock, fuel or defuel, and not to mention set the CVT ratio.

Just one theory.
if so, the 2.0 doesn't have that issue

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
@Hondata
After damaging a cvt, and showing its stress points... on a factory tune in your opinion how do you feel the reliability of the new 2016-17 cvt will be? Do you see any design flaws or should these ride along for the long haul with the engine?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have two 1.5T CVT and I plan to sell both before my warranty runs out. Neither modded but after Hondata R&D we know for the long haul you want a manual.

Btw we still have not watched the 2017 Si vs stock 1.5T 1/4 mile drag race. OR 2017 Si + Flash Pro vs TypeR. I'm waiting for it all..

@Hondata
After damaging a cvt, and showing its stress points... on a factory tune in your opinion how do you feel the reliability of the new 2016-17 cvt will be? Do you see any design flaws or should these ride along for the long haul with the engine?

qexler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 tacoma
@HondaPro i mean his testing shows us one being destroyed at what... almost 20% power increase? And at that his tests were wide open uphill. I am betting on a stock tune, daily, for people who wanted the car for what it really is should see years of reliability. I mean of course if you hoon it with a tune over a short time it will die... cvt transmissions weren't designed for racing or tuning, rather highway and city... mostly never seeing more than 3000rpm. Now if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a new mustang.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I have two 1.5T CVT and I plan to sell both before my warranty runs out. Neither modded but after Hondata R&D we know for the long haul you want a manual.

Btw we still have not watched the 2017 Si vs stock 1.5T 1/4 mile drag race. OR 2017 Si + Flash Pro vs TypeR. I'm waiting for it all..
We've always wanted a manual for the long haul. No company has a CVT that takes well to abuse in a car meant to be an econobox.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But the manual civic didnt exist until Nov-Dec 2016. The 2nd wave of 2017s. Then the hatch manual was super scarce.
We've always wanted a manual for the long haul. No company has a CVT that takes well to abuse in a car meant to be an econobox.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
@HondaPro i mean his testing shows us one being destroyed at what... almost 20% power increase? And at that his tests were wide open uphill. I am betting on a stock tune, daily, for people who wanted the car for what it really is should see years of reliability. I mean of course if you hoon it with a tune over a short time it will die... cvt transmissions weren't designed for racing or tuning, rather highway and city... mostly never seeing more than 3000rpm. Now if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a new mustang.
Exactly

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
But the manual civic didnt exist until Nov-Dec 2016. The 2nd wave of 2017s. Then the hatch manual was super scarce.
That doesn't change the fact it was expected to be weaker than a manual.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
@Hondata
That was answered earlier in this thread. At +6 PSI maps, the CVT shows no evidence of slipping despite some pretty aggressive track time. With all safety parameters removed from the ECU, the 1.5T config maxes out at around 260-280 WTQ (est) and clearly showed evidence of wear/burnishing around the belt.

I'm sure Doug will pull the CVT again sometime in the future and continue to look for evidence of wear. But at this time, there's no evidence of poor CVT reliability when tested up to 15% over stock.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn't change the fact it was expected to be weaker than a manual.
We know the manual is stronger because it's the same one used in the V6 Accord.

HelloImDrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic (soon)
Country flag
I picked up my CVT Hatchback earlier this year and last month got a KTuner and have been running the Stage 2 settings on it with everything at Aggressive in the Quick Adjustments. How damaging is this for the vehicle? I don't need this to last me 10 years, but I would like to have it at least paid off before I start worrying about major problems.
Sponsored