Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Performance will vary due to several factors:
  • Air Temperature (a lot)
  • Fuel Octane
  • Humidity
  • Drive Mode (D, S and / or ECO)
  • Water temperature (to a smaller extent)
Would you guys be willing to share what type of ignition timing strategy Honda uses on this motor? Does it start at full advance then retard timing based on octane, temperature, etc.? Or is it more of a table lookup based on load with percentage adjustments for intake temp and such (like on previous Civics)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not exactly. Yesterday I posted measure frame by frame of video. I counted 7.8s. I'm really surprised because today I can find it ! Sure 0-60 for 8s after flashing is not good at all, but it does mean my post should be erased. It's a public forum !

BTW I measured my own acceleration (just in D mode) and I have results around 7.2 - 7.3s.
Your right, timed with a stopwatch this time got 7.7 sec. but that's with econ and a/c hopefully they'll follow up with a better video for their sake.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
If I'm So Cal, can I just drive to Torrance and have it done in person while I wait? Can it be done in few hours or I have to come back?
You would have to visit a Hondata dealer that does onsite reflash services, see list below for one nearest you:

Church Automotive
300 Quay Ave
Wilmington CA 90744 USA
310-518-4966
KPro installer
On site Reflash

AutoWave

17122 Gothard St.
Huntington Beach CA 92647 USA
714-841-2433
On site Reflash

Makspeed
42646 Rio Nedo Suite G
Temecula CA 92590 USA
951-200-5133
On site Reflash

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Couple questions:
- Will you guys be releasing AFR readouts with your dynos?
- Is there concern about the potential for increased deposits (particularly the intake valves) as a result of adjusting the ignition and fuel mapping?

dangng009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If only my powertrain warranty was up. From what I can understand PCM calibration can be identified by their file names. I don't think the manufacturer will dig deeper than that b/c it takes a lot of time to sit down and look at all the parameters changes done inside the PCM. If they were up against a lawsuit then they probably would dig that far into the PCM calibration to identifying calibration changes.

I do miss the days where you can install a used PCM by stepping on the gas pedal a few times and jumping some wires

hybrid81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Your right, timed with a stopwatch this time got 7.7 sec. but that's with econ and a/c hopefully they'll follow up with a better video for their sake.
This is probably silly, but I thought that S and L modes overrode Econ just based on the dashboard lighting going from green to white.

If not, why does it do that? I know Econ effects other things besides idle/rpm, so perhaps those are what Econ effects when in S/L?

Sorry for th noob questions. I'm seriously considering this tune and a shop near me said they can do it. I'll be out of warranty in a few months so I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds.

Hansford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This is probably silly, but I thought that S and L modes overrode Econ just based on the dashboard lighting going from green to white.

If not, why does it do that? I know Econ effects other things besides idle/rpm, so perhaps those are what Econ effects when in S/L?

Sorry for th noob questions. I'm seriously considering this tune and a shop near me said they can do it. I'll be out of warranty in a few months so I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds.

Are you out of warrant because of miles already? Because you have a 3 year bumper to bumper

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Like I said before, I don't think id do this until my warranty is expired. But by that time, my car will either be 7 years old or have 200,000 km. Chances are, ill be close to 200k by year 7, and by then, ill be looking at getting another car, maybe even the 11th gen Civic or Accord. Then again, maybe by then, id be more willing to do it to give my car more life to it and keep it until it hits 250-300k km.

This is awesome for sure, and I would definitely do it if I didnt have an extended warranty. But I guess the SRI will do for now :(

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
I think the warranty concerns about this particular modification might be overblown. I have never once heard of any engine damage resulting from a Hondata Reflash...Hondata is extremely careful to change the ECU parameters so they are not too aggressive and suitable for all driving situations, just like the factory tune.

Now, let's say you did experience an engine problem, maybe a factory defect, that was unrelated to the Reflash. I have hard time believing that Honda would analyze the ECU before agreeing to do the fix, especially if it was a known issue with the engine. If someone has experienced otherwise, I'd love to know about it. On some tuner cars, like the GT-R, where warranty repairs are very expensive, the dealer will usually do extra checks on the ECU to make sure no modifications have been done. Again, I've never seen this happen at a Honda dealer. We actually just got a warranty service (rear main seal leak, factory defect most likely) done on our 2014 Si which is fairly heavily modified including a custom FlashPro tune.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't want to create false paranoia. But to be fair, Turbo DI brings a host of new challenges that are very well known in other communities. Things that can become exacerbated by running even slightly richer over stock. Honda has carefully timed fuel, intake and exhaust valving to create an optimum flow pattern that involves scavenging at lower RPMs. Altering the parameters (even slightly) has been known to allow a backwards flow of contaminants from the PCV and/or combustion chamber which accumulate on the intake valves/IM - areas that are highly sensitive to buildup over time. This is a well documented issue on BMW, VW, Audi, Mazda and Subaru turbo direct injection. And I'm curious to see what precautions are being considered for Honda's design.

Before getting into further details, I'd love to see further data on Hondata's readouts. Fueling being the most important.

Last edited:

fijizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring Sedan - Modern Steel Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to create false paranoia. But to be fair, Turbo DI brings a host of new challenges that are very well known in other communities. Things that can become exacerbated by running even slightly richer over stock. Honda has carefully timed fuel, intake and exhaust valving to create an optimum flow pattern that involves scavenging at lower RPMs. Altering the parameters (even slightly) has been known to allow a backwards flow of contaminants from the PCV and/or combustion chamber which accumulate on the intake valves/IM - areas that are highly sensitive to buildup over time. This is a well documented issue on BMW, VW, Audi, Mazda and Subaru turbo direct injection. And I'm curious to see what precautions are being considered for Honda's design.

Before getting into further details, I'd love to see further data on Hondata's readouts. Fueling being the most important.
Would installing an oil catch can eliminate that potential problem?

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the warranty concerns about this particular modification might be overblown. I have never once heard of any engine damage resulting from a Hondata Reflash...Hondata is extremely careful to change the ECU parameters so they are not too aggressive and suitable for all driving situations, just like the factory tune.

Now, let's say you did experience an engine problem, maybe a factory defect, that was unrelated to the Reflash. I have hard time believing that Honda would analyze the ECU before agreeing to do the fix, especially if it was a known issue with the engine. If someone has experienced otherwise, I'd love to know about it. On some tuner cars, like the GT-R, where warranty repairs are very expensive, the dealer will usually do extra checks on the ECU to make sure no modifications have been done. Again, I've never seen this happen at a Honda dealer. We actually just got a warranty service (rear main seal leak, factory defect most likely) done on our 2014 Si which is fairly heavily modified including a custom FlashPro tune.
Any time I've ever needed warranty work, Honda is generally very good with it. Then again, I've never even thought about modifying any car I've owned until I got my Civic. So the idea of modifying scares me a bit. I already convinced myself that the SRI would be a good upgrade right now, and that I will probably wait until more results are posted regarding the Hondata tune and potential issues down the road. Besides, I can't ship out my ECU anyways. This is my only car and I sure as hell ain't driving my fiancée's cruze. That thing is terrible.

Oh, and 91 octane here is insane in Canada. It's 1.22/Litre and going up. :banghead:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Would installing an oil catch can eliminate that potential problem?
Absolutely. But there is a very small amount of unburnt fuel/oil that can escape the combustion chamber and attach to the intake valves, depending on a variety of factors. Over time it can cause the condition below where the intake valves may not seal completely (causing a loss in compression).

The only way to service properly is to first spray/atomize a solvent through the TB while the motor is running. Then remove the IM on the back of the motor and blast the valves with walnut media.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Introduces Reflash for the 2016 Civic 1.5T Turbo Hoffman_003

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag