Hondata HPJ Review

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
2 questions.

1. Can you roll it back?
2. Does it void warranty?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Honda Pro Jason just drove the Hondata test car. His smiles say it all.:spaz:

My 2 cents on the large amount of turbo lag... As even hpj mentioned it..i noticed he said the reflash helped it some.. Especially in 1st gear in sport mode... As im sure it actually helped.. However i believe it is more cvt lag than turbolag.. Wre do i base this on?

Our (my wifes) accord sport (non turbo) if in sport mode and going from a dead stop.. Wether its forced into s1m or just s. Does the same exact thing.. Literally takes 1-3 seconds of almost no accel... Then it takes off like a bat outta hell..

When i bought my car.. I had to test drive a 16cvt.. Still opted to purchase/order/have dealer find a m/t and when i picked it up i expected the same..i broke it in properly.. So didnt really test it.. Although i do recall breaking the tires from a dead stop a few times as i got almost instant throttle response... Once i hit 1k miles i went a lil harder and def felt barely any lag coming from a dead stop.. Once i hit 2k.. And knowing everything is broken in.. And really being able to go from a dead stop... I was floored... The car went instantaniously.. Without any sort of flash (yet, its coming soon) if there is turbolag.. Its extremely minimal.. And i think most are getting cvt lag...

I mean once you get to 0mph does the cvt stay in a most power setting or does it even itself out knowing its at a stop.. I think it needs 1-2 seconds to get into that "hey hes asking for WOT mode....

Anyone else chime in? That has a accord sport and can verify what im talking about? I know 2 other people that purchased a 17ex-t with a manual trans and they say the same thing i do.. Albeit only 1 is on here and the ither is a good friend..

Thanks!

Op nice find/vid.. Cant believe hpj never tried a flash

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
2 questions.

1. Can you roll it back?
2. Does it void warranty?
1) yes
2) 90% sure it does, however if dealers are gonna start carrying it sonething might change...especially if you let them put it in amd them choose the flash

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tend to agree the CVT is laggy; I have a '16 and have test driven a '17 Hatch and there is a noticeable difference in the CVT response.

HPJ does mention that the CVT seems sharper after the flash in S mode. I suspect that may be the various computers responding to the quicker throttle response. Whatever software versions run in the '17 may result in the same thing and account for the quicker response.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd also agree with the cvt consensus, I wonder if there's a TCU or just the PCM that controls the cvt. Wonder how easy it would be to crack into and crisp up. I'm literally only looking to get rid of that 1-2 second lag off the line, love everything else about it.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
It could also be throttle dampening/padding built into the factory ECU calibration to prevent excessive wheel spin without needing to call on the traction control if the driver decides to stab down the throttle from a dead stop. Have you tried doing a quick but smooth throttle input from a dead stop to see if it reacts better? I know on the 8th civic si flashpro, there is a setting to disable 1st gear throttle dampening, so its possible the accord and civic calibrations may have this and the reflash removes it.

As for the warranty question, you would have a hard time fighting the dealer to warranty anything with such a modification, unless its something completely unrelated like your muffler falling off or your shocks blowing out, anything drive train related or electrical would be easily denied with an ECU reflash, if they ever find out about it. SO reflash to stock before any trips to the dealer lol.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd also agree with the cvt consensus, I wonder if there's a TCU or just the PCM that controls the cvt. Wonder how easy it would be to crack into and crisp up. I'm literally only looking to get rid of that 1-2 second lag off the line, love everything else about it.
Ya from owning a different honda accord with a cvt.. The accord coupe with a manual trans.. The accord sedan in ex-l trim cvt and now a civic ex-t manual... Its not turbolag moreso than cvt lagging.. Both my manual accord and my manual civic have no lag to get going.. And from test driving the civic in a cvt and still owning the 2 cvt accords... They all showed the same exact characteristics going from a dead stop vs the manuals wich did non of that..

Just wish the general posters/public would stop thinking/telling people its turbo lag.. Cause from my pretty extensive experience its cvt lag.. Im sire there is turbolag.. But if its there,its so little that you cant notice it..

Oh.. All 3 accords are current generation. The manual and ex-l are 2013's and the sport is a 2015..

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
I don't think the lag is that bad, definitely not 1-2 seconds. For 0-30mph, it's about 0.3 seconds slower than other cars with similar power.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2 cents on the large amount of turbo lag... As even hpj mentioned it..i noticed he said the reflash helped it some.. Especially in 1st gear in sport mode... As im sure it actually helped.. However i believe it is more cvt lag than turbolag.. Wre do i base this on?

Our (my wifes) accord sport (non turbo) if in sport mode and going from a dead stop.. Wether its forced into s1m or just s. Does the same exact thing.. Literally takes 1-3 seconds of almost no accel... Then it takes off like a bat outta hell..

When i bought my car.. I had to test drive a 16cvt.. Still opted to purchase/order/have dealer find a m/t and when i picked it up i expected the same..i broke it in properly.. So didnt really test it.. Although i do recall breaking the tires from a dead stop a few times as i got almost instant throttle response... Once i hit 1k miles i went a lil harder and def felt barely any lag coming from a dead stop.. Once i hit 2k.. And knowing everything is broken in.. And really being able to go from a dead stop... I was floored... The car went instantaniously.. Without any sort of flash (yet, its coming soon) if there is turbolag.. Its extremely minimal.. And i think most are getting cvt lag...

I mean once you get to 0mph does the cvt stay in a most power setting or does it even itself out knowing its at a stop.. I think it needs 1-2 seconds to get into that "hey hes asking for WOT mode....

Anyone else chime in? That has a accord sport and can verify what im talking about? I know 2 other people that purchased a 17ex-t with a manual trans and they say the same thing i do.. Albeit only 1 is on here and the ither is a good friend..

Thanks!

Op nice find/vid.. Cant believe hpj never tried a flash

Had a 15 Sport and it definitely a CVT issue not a turbo issue. If you roll into the throttle on the civic from a stop and then stab it, It goes much better. Though, I feel the cvt on the civic seems way more responsive on the civic especially when already moving.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hondata had said the CVT is ran by a different computer and they havent found a way to mess with it from FP. Im sure as the platform gets more and more tuners messing with it, there will be new things we learn about tuning these cars. For now , the cvt computer limits the amount of torque the ECU can request so as not to damage the CVT

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hondata had said the CVT is ran by a different computer and they havent found a way to mess with it from FP. Im sure as the platform gets more and more tuners messing with it, there will be new things we learn about tuning these cars. For now , the cvt computer limits the amount of torque the ECU can request so as not to damage the CVT
I just love my mt and am glad i waited a damn year for it (17) instead of settling for a lx... At wich point i was more likely gonna buy another accord...literally found out a day or 2 before pulling the trigger on a new accord or the lx.. And honda finally announced it... Then i had to wait about 5 more months.. Or about that amount of time... I think i was the 2nd person on civicx that posted having one..

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just love my mt and am glad i waited a damn year for it (17) instead of settling for a lx... At wich point i was more likely gonna buy another accord...literally found out a day or 2 before pulling the trigger on a new accord or the lx.. And honda finally announced it... Then i had to wait about 5 more months.. Or about that amount of time... I think i was the 2nd person on civicx that posted having one..
Yeah, the MT is definitely the tuner way to go. I had an 8th and love the MT but my daily commute in traffic 30 miles each way suuuuuucked. I traded it for an Accord Sport, and that was nice but just not fun, so I went to this turbo civic which is an absolute blast to drive, even with the CVT. I have the FP and will get an intake but I know its limited and thats ok. Itll be a fun decntly fast daily until I get bored again and decide to move up the Civic ladder. Or hell maybe an Accord again depending on what engine they use and the look of the 10th gen Accord

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As long as it lasts till there's enough MTs in the junkyard for a swap hahaha.

I found out about the MT like a month after I pulled the trigger. It's the only thing I regret. Not willing to go double negative equity though hahaha.

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a 6MT EX-T owner, I can say that, yes, I think it is more likely CVT lag than turbo lag. I experience a little sluggishness at first, but not really what Jason seems to be experiencing.
Sponsored