Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Installed the fuel system about 6 months ago with no issues. 2 weeks ago drove the car, parked, came back and car wouldn't start. First thought, battery, alternator, or starter. Towed the vehicle and it ended up being the fuse inside the cabin for the fuel pump. Drove car after fuse replaced for about 3 days. While driving on the 3rd day, the engine stops but I still had all power (dash,lights), I checked, and same fuse again. Changed fuse again, drove about a mile and car died again. Fuse was good but would not start, it cranks but engine not starting. Towed again. Checked relay and it's good. Next I'm going to remove rear seat and check wires and power to fuel pump.

Contacted Hondata and they advised me to check for noise in back to see if pump was priming, but it is not, there is no noise; however, it keeps blowing the 20amp fuse inside cabin. When I replace the fuse each time, it runs for about 10 to 15 seconds and then stops when fuse blows.

2019 Type R 4700 miles yes 4700 not 47000!

I'll keep updating.
Sponsored

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Only failure point I can think of is in the repinning the lpfp in the tank. Maybe its possible one of those pins came out of the clear clip. I'd personally pull the lpfp out, hit it with 12V and see if its working.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Might also be a LPFP that is defective.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
The common issues in the lpfp usually the connector or the pins , but also if you used to run the car for long periods of time with low fuel the fuel pump could get damaged . If the coil is burned it could run but at high current drain causing to blowing the fuse.

Steelydan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r
Country flag
I have a 2019 type r, 2 hour trip became a 9 hour day. Stopped an hour into my trip, back in car wouldn’t start. Turned over and seconds later fizzled out. Honda road side sucks, went with triple aaa took them 4 hours to get me. Turns out to be fuel pump. Was told the type r runs hot, the fuel pump shuts down to prevent over heating. So frustrated I’m ready to put on the market. Love this car, frustrated and nervous about going on long trips. Anyone have any thoughts over this?

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I have a 2019 type r, 2 hour trip became a 9 hour day. Stopped an hour into my trip, back in car wouldn’t start. Turned over and seconds later fizzled out. Honda road side sucks, went with triple aaa took them 4 hours to get me. Turns out to be fuel pump. Was told the type r runs hot, the fuel pump shuts down to prevent over heating. So frustrated I’m ready to put on the market. Love this car, frustrated and nervous about going on long trips. Anyone have any thoughts over this?
stock fuel pump or Hondata pump? Is your car on the recall list for OEM pump? If so - did you complete recall?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How full was your gas tank when the pump failed? What was the temperature/ fuel temperature? How often do you run a nearly empty fuel tank? Pump gas is about 60* and should cool down an overheated pump quick. I think a recalled faulty pump is probably the root but maybe it overheated when failing like you noted.

Steelydan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r
Country flag
stock fuel pump or Hondata pump? Is your car on the recall list for OEM pump? If so - did you complete recall?
Honda told me my vin was a bulletin to rebuild. Can’t get parts so they are putting a new fuel pump in. Car is inPa, going to take a week to get the new pump. It’s a stock pump. No mods at this point

Steelydan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type r
Country flag
How full was your gas tank when the pump failed? What was the temperature/ fuel temperature? How often do you run a nearly empty fuel tank? Pump gas is about 60* and should cool down an overheated pump quick. I think a recalled faulty pump is probably the root but maybe it overheated when failing like you noted.
Full tank, temp outside was about 98*. I’m thankful I was at a rest area vs dead in the middle of a highway.

OP
OP
Snmtazz70

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mine was a Hondata pump that was warrantied by them. Going to Deatschwerks pump soon!

Grunkl

First Name
hey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I had the Hondata fuel pump fail earlier this year and had to have the car towed home. Went with the DW pump and I am now having issues with this. I know it is installed correctly, it primes, car starts then dies after roughly 2-5 seconds when pressure demand goes up (according to Hondata software). So i recall reading some where the DW is basically the same pump used by Hondata, but I'm not positive. NOT FUN, can't figure out why I am losing pumps. Last tuning session showed I was nearly maxed out on HPFP and injectors (Hondata unit) as well as the LP pump.
I do run e85 and am aware of clogging issues but less than 9 months in seems crazy. Guessing I will have to pull the pump again to get a visual.

Last edited:

xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Have had both. OEM Honda LPFP and DW LPFP. Both suck. OEM started going out giving me sputter at WOT so had it changed to DW and that went out about 4 months later. Now back to new OEM Honda LPFP and haven't had any issues. That was about 1.5 yrs ago. Mine was a 2019 pump but was not part for the recall...so yeah it sucks.
Sponsored