Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
How much more power? I’m debating this same issue. I don’t plan on modding my ride out.
I’ve ran both Ktuner and Hondata and have had zero problems. I prefer Hondata as I feel there is WAY more ability to customize and or choose options. Also Hondata felt like it had a little more power but I could be wrong.
Sponsored

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
How much more power? I’m debating this same issue. I don’t plan on modding my ride out.
Just based on my research..
As you can see the ktuner makes a hair more than hondata on the basemaps. Also, keep in mind that they have released a stage 1.1 since this graph and it makes more power on top of their stage 1.
Im not sure if Hondata has revised their base maps since.
What’s interesting is that Hondata with flex fuel only matched ktuner’s 91 base map on hp, but did make more torque. It seems to get most out of flex fuel you need custom tune?
Either way you can’t go wrong with either tuner. I didn’t plan to constantly tweak and tune my car so that is why i went with ktuner as my only mod.
Ktuner basemap dyno
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flashpro 526E02D6-B63D-4C49-A9C1-6CBDDF6769D7

Ktuner base map gains
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flashpro A0C2DE28-5E1A-4FB0-9B0F-049B94AC26FE

Hondata base map dyno
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flashpro B9A59E3B-31D5-48CB-A2E1-F7AE75434FE1

Hondata basemap gains
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flashpro AE9BAEDE-5C11-4BAC-947F-30455673C0D0

Hondata basemap with flex fuel enabled
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flashpro B685C6D8-9840-44FB-81C9-AB26793A56F8

Hondata flex fuel base map gains
Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata Flashpro 4B51D0ED-A0BB-458F-842B-AD9404662E49

Last edited:

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nobody's FK8 is overheating on the street. They might be heat soaking and losing power temporarily as max boost is reduced, but that's not the same as overheating.

Overheating means your coolant and oil temperatures are too high and it can put you into limp mode where you aren't making much power. Heatsoaking has to do with intake air temperatures, which aren't really directly affected by the tune.

Limp mode for overheating is an on/off switch with a CEL. Heatsoaking from high IATs is a gradual reduction in max boost.

The flex fuel basemaps don't really add much. Custom tune is required for running ethanol to it's potential. You can practically double what the basemaps add.

To be honest, there's really not that much difference between the KTuner and Hondata maps besides how they do their AFRs. I've compared every single basemap from both platforms. Type Rs don't have a ton of tables available to us (yet) like other platforms do. The thing most people don't realize is that the basemaps are all extremely conservative because Type Rs actually do vary quite a bit in spark timing and fuel pump capability. A very small number of people can't even run the basemaps, and some people (like me) have a very strong fuel pump that runs E30 without ever maxing out the pump.

The tiny little difference between your KTuner and Hondata runs are negligible and can be chalked up to a number of things in this very dynamic ECU. You can see this in how wildly different each of your runs are. Probably was heat soaked to hell.

Both Hondata and KTuner are great platforms with fairly good basemaps - but that's all they are: basemaps. They're meant to get you running, but most people treat them like third party OTS tunes.

Last edited:

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nobody's FK8 is overheating on the street. They might be heat soaking and losing power temporarily as max boost is reduced, but that's not the same as overheating.

Overheating means your coolant and oil temperatures are too high and it can put you into limp mode where you aren't making much power. Heatsoaking has to do with intake air temperatures, which aren't really directly affected by the tune.

Limp mode for overheating is an on/off switch with a CEL. Heatsoaking from high IATs is a gradual reduction in max boost.

The flex fuel basemaps don't really add much. Custom tune is required for running ethanol to it's potential. You can practically double what the basemaps add.

To be honest, there's really not that much difference between the KTuner and Hondata maps besides how they do their AFRs. I've compared every single basemap from both platforms. Type Rs don't have a ton of tables available to us (yet) like other platforms do. The thing most people don't realize is that the basemaps are all extremely conservative because Type Rs actually do vary quite a bit in spark timing and fuel pump capability. A very small number of people can't even run the basemaps, and some people (like me) have a very strong fuel pump that runs E30 without ever maxing out the pump.

The tiny little difference between your KTuner and Hondata runs are negligible and can be chalked up to a number of things in this very dynamic ECU. You can see this in how wildly different each of your runs are. Probably was heat soaked to hell.

Both Hondata and KTuner are great platforms with fairly good basemaps - but that's all they are: basemaps. They're meant to get you running, but most people treat them like third party OTS tunes.
Agree with all that except the overheating issue. I didn’t believe it myself until i went in a friends CTR the other day with his only mods being hondata with flexfuel enabled and after back to back pulls on the street, you see his temperature begin to rise. On the hondata app we saw 235 degrees Fahrenheit.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Agree with all that except the overheating issue. I didn’t believe it myself until i went in a friends CTR the other day with his only mods being hondata with flexfuel enabled and after back to back pulls on the street, you see his temperature begin to rise. On the hondata app we saw 235 degrees Fahrenheit.
I do back to back pulls with E30 on an AFR that is leaner than all the basemaps and pushes significantly more power, in 95F weather in Florida, with absolutely no heatshielding in my engine bay (factory heatshields are removed too), for 1-2 hours straight, and I still will be coasting around 195F and peaking at 210F, MAYBE 220F by the end of it.

Something's up with your buddy's Type R if his coolant temps are getting up to 235F on the street with any regularity. Maybe a stuck thermostat? I'll take a look at their datalogs if they want.

I could maybe see it if you had some gigantic intercooler blocking the radiator and you're doing back to back to back to back low-speed pulls with no break whatsoever, but even then.. 235F is astronomical.

Last edited:

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I do back to back pulls with E30 on an AFR that is leaner than all the basemaps and pushes significantly more power, in 95F weather in Florida, with absolutely no heatshielding in my engine bay (factory heatshields are removed too), for 1-2 hours straight, and I still will be coasting around 195F and peaking at 210F, MAYBE 220F by the end of it.

Something's up with your buddy's Type R if his coolant temps are getting up to 235F on the street with any regularity. Maybe a stuck thermostat? I'll take a look at their datalogs if they want.

I could maybe see it if you had some gigantic intercooler blocking the radiator and you're doing back to back to back to back low-speed pulls with no break whatsoever, but even then.. 235F is astronomical.
Yeah man I was shocked. I will see if he wants to do that. We are in south Florida as well. He has stock IC.
do you have any idea why Ktuner doesn’t offer flex fuel support while Hondata does? I believe ktuner says the fuel system can’t support it, but clearly it can. Even jb4 has a e30 map.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah man I was shocked. I will see if he wants to do that. We are in south Florida as well. He has stock IC.
do you have any idea why Ktuner doesn’t offer flex fuel support while Hondata does? I believe ktuner says the fuel system can’t support it, but clearly it can. Even jb4 has a e30 map.
Feel free to email them to [email protected] whenever. I'll take a look for free, I'm curious myself how the hell he could possibly be hitting such temperatures.

KTuner tends to not release features that wouldn't work very reliably on a stock engine, like antilag or flex fuel. Flex fuel is difficult to run on the stock fuel pump for many Type Rs. It may also be partly that they just don't have the resources to dedicate to the Type R, when other platforms make them so much more money.

You can still run E30 (or whatever mixture you can support) on KTuner, you just can't run a flex fuel sensor to do it. I'm not using a flex fuel sensor either, I just have a gas station that has extremely accurate pumps and dead-on 85%/10% ethanol year-round.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Feel free to email them to [email protected] whenever. I'll take a look for free, I'm curious myself how the hell he could possibly be hitting such temperatures.

KTuner tends to not release features that wouldn't work very reliably on a stock engine, like antilag or flex fuel. Flex fuel is difficult to run on the stock fuel pump for many Type Rs. It may also be partly that they just don't have the resources to dedicate to the Type R, when other platforms make them so much more money.

You can still run E30 (or whatever mixture you can support) on KTuner, you just can't run a flex fuel sensor to do it. I'm not using a flex fuel sensor either, I just have a gas station that has extremely accurate pumps and dead-on 85%/10% ethanol year-round.
Yeah I’ve noticed they do that too. Not necessarily a bad thing either as they don’t want to develop a reputation for damaging engines.
Are you saying i can run e30 on just the ktuner base map? I have been filling a gallon of e85 with 93 just to keep knock control down even though I am unable to monitor it, i have heard this keeps it stable

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah I’ve noticed they do that too. Not necessarily a bad thing either as they don’t want to develop a reputation for damaging engines.
Are you saying i can run e30 on just the ktuner base map? I have been filling a gallon of e85 with 93 just to keep knock control down even though I am unable to monitor it, i have heard this keeps it stable
No, you will have to have a custom tune. I'm just saying you don't need a sensor to run ethanol if you are confident of the mixture.

Putting a little E85 won't necessarily hurt anything, just throw off your fuel trims. E30 is a bit much to just run without a tune.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, you will have to have a custom tune. I'm just saying you don't need a sensor to run ethanol if you are confident of the mixture.

Putting a little E85 won't necessarily hurt anything, just throw off your fuel trims. E30 is a bit much to just run without a tune.
Do you go to DERF?

OP
OP

Mike2954...

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic type r
Country flag
So the stock FK8 can overheat with Hondata? I’m looking at going this route but don’t want over heating issues
The stock intercooler kinda sucks, I have hondata flashpro with Perrin intercooler and havent seen any overheating. Completely stock I would notice a power decrease after a few runs but dont notice it now. Ended up picking up 50 ish hp and 84 tq, id definitely recommend.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The stock intercooler kinda sucks, I have hondata flashpro with Perrin intercooler and havent seen any overheating. Completely stock I would notice a power decrease after a few runs but dont notice it now. Ended up picking up 50 ish hp and 84 tq, id definitely recommend.
How do you like the Perrin? I’m in between that and PRL
Sponsored