Hondata Flashpro Tuning for the FK8 Type R!!

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Sure. You would need to buy the ECU, drive to the Honda dealer and get the immobilizer matched. The wrinkle is that the car can only be matched to one ECU at a time. So if you did this then your original ECU would not work unless you went through the same process at the dealer. So there is not really much advantage to getting a spare ECU at the moment.
Thanks for clarifying only one can be matched at a time. That squashes that idea for me.
Sponsored

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
Not sure if it was this thread or another but I mentioned that idea and was thinking I would do it. It was pointed out that the dealership would need to program the immobilizer for the ECU. Which how easy that will be is the next question.
I sense a turo in your future then lol

typersweden

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT / FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Consider the warranty on your engine gone!
I'm not sure how warranties work over in the US, but your warranty would only be out the window if your dealership traced a problem back to the fault of a tuned ECU.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the US the warranty cannot be arbitrarily cancelled - the dealer has to prove that your modification caused the fault, and even then the warranty as a whole cannot be cancelled. In theory then if you raise the power 50 hp and your transmission breaks, then the transmission would not be warrantied but when your power window stops working it would be. In practice what a Honda dealer will do with warranty repair after ECU modification will vary somewhat. In general US dealers are pretty good about ECU modification - we sell FlashPro based dealer reflashes to a number of Honda dealers.
If you stick to starting calibrations the chance of engine damage from a reflash is very small. The transmissions appear to be reasonably strong too.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sure. You would need to buy the ECU, drive to the Honda dealer and get the immobilizer matched. The wrinkle is that the car can only be matched to one ECU at a time. So if you did this then your original ECU would not work unless you went through the same process at the dealer. So there is not really much advantage to getting a spare ECU at the moment.
Unless you work at a Honda dealership :headbang:

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Doug, since we have to send the ECU in, will you offer on option for pre-set flashes; stage 1, stage 2, based on customer set-up; stock, I/H/E, etc? I would be fine to have just a flash based on the set-up I’ll have by tune time; Intercooler & intake. The only tuners near me only do Subbies or VW’s.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Doug, since we have to send the ECU in, will you offer on option for pre-set flashes; stage 1, stage 2, based on customer set-up; stock, I/H/E, etc? I would be fine to have just a flash based on the set-up I’ll have by tune time; Intercooler & intake. The only tuners near me only do Subbies or VW’s.
Omg...lol. you can upload those premade tunes yourself...hondata newb? Lol

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is not Doug. Well, we'll do a stage 1 calibration and a downpipe calibration. Exhaust makes no difference to tuning so we don't need to do that. Intakes generally mess up the AFM metering so each one is different. If the intake doesn't change the AFM reading then you don't need to do anything. But we'll try to do some of the common intakes.
It is not difficult to upload a premade calibration and I don't see why a shop needs to do that for you.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Certainly not a Hondata newb. Seems like half the time you open your mouth you are insulting someone & sticking your foot in your mouth. I’ve had Hondata flashes on both my previous Civics. They offer bench flashes for half the money of Flashpro, if you don’t want to dyno tune. They make pre-set calibrations for stock, I/H/E, etc. You may want to do a little research before you advertise your ignorance.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oops, sorry about that, I assumed it was a Doug. Thanks for all the correspondence. I know about the calibrations that you can download for Flashpro, but since we have to send in the ECU, wondering if you guys will re-flash there without having to spend the extra cash for Flashpro. You guys did this for my ‘99 & ‘06 Si’s.

Last edited:

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I for one have never used Hondata, flashpro, Motec or any of these tuning solutions, let alone uploaded calibrations, basemaps or adjustments. Actually, this is my first forced induction car ever. So, when it comes to information along this line, i try to get what knowledge I can. So, even if someone is a "newb" don't spout off the cuff and slam someone who isn't as knowledgeable as others. That is a quick way to make enemies, and prohibit others from gaining knowledge. We are all here to share information about a great car, and make some friends. If you don' want to do that, move along with all your knowledge that you were evidently born with, and leave all of us to fend for ourselves.

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag

Omg!! Some people haven’t used hondata or flashpro before!

What assholes, amiright? We should laugh at those guys because it makes us feel cool.

:rolleyes:

I’m glad he asked, because I was wondering the same thing. I, like at least a few others with the fk8, have never had Honda cars or the tuning that goes along with them.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Oops, sorry about that, I assumed it was a Doug. Thanks for all the correspondence. I know about the calibrations that you can download for Flashpro, but since we have to send in the ECU, wondering if you guys will re-flash there without having to spend the extra cash for Flashpro. You guys did this for my ‘99 & ‘06 Si’s.
Considering the effort they've put into the FK8 so far. I highly doubt they would consider that. The Flashpro pays for the engineering and calibration time spent on the platform.
Sponsored