Hondata Flashpro Tuning for the FK8 Type R!!

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Certainly not a Hondata newb. Seems like half the time you open your mouth you are insulting someone & sticking your foot in your mouth. I’ve had Hondata flashes on both my previous Civics. They offer bench flashes for half the money of Flashpro, if you don’t want to dyno tune. They make pre-set calibrations for stock, I/H/E, etc. You may want to do a little research before you advertise your ignorance.
Well, for those that I have upset...I wasn't trying to be serious...or even demeaning. I could have sworn it was mentioned a few times how hondata works on this thread and others, but I must be mistaken. Please don't take any offense, as I'm just a bit of a joker I guess...perhaps things are lost in translation via the forum...I by no means am trying to be a smart@$$

J35W2, you must have me confused with someone else...or maybe its in regard to just the use of how Hondata is...as I'm confused to what you're referring to in regards to me insulting people...and sticking my foot in my mouth??? I'm usually thanking posts, not bashing anyone.
(about 110 posts...don't see what those half you are referring to are about: https://www.civicx.com/search/109192042/)

I've had: 2002 EP3 with Kpro, 3x Si's (2007, 2011, 2013 models) with Flashpro. I was able to upload pre-set calibrations myself using my laptop on all of those setups...so I'm not sure what research I would need to do...as I've done it before...again, you must have me confused with someone else.

I by no means am able to tune myself, that I know and don't need to research on...because I never will tune my own calibrations.

With that said, I'm just going to sit back and watch the posts...I'm just interested in the main topic of Hondata and have no interest in bickering.

Have a good day :D
Sponsored

Last edited:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Well, I for one have never used Hondata, flashpro, Motec or any of these tuning solutions, let alone uploaded calibrations, basemaps or adjustments. Actually, this is my first forced induction car ever. So, when it comes to information along this line, i try to get what knowledge I can.
I think I understand what you are asking

Basically I think you are asking if they will offer a reflash option like they did for the older K series where you send them your ECU and they flash a +3 or +6 psi boost tune onto the ECU and you just plug it in and go when they send it back.

They haven't mentioned it yet so I'll leave that to them to speak to.

As far as what it takes to use a Hondata supplied map, that I can help with.

Basically once you get your ecu back and installed in your car you would need a laptop, the flashpro and potentially a USB cable if the FlashPro doesn't have one with it.

You would:
Install their FlashPro manager software from their website
Connect the FlashPro to your OBD2 port and your laptop via USB
Turn your car on (engine off)
Connect to the ECU from flash pro manager and download the stock tune
Save this as a file somewhere safe
Start a new calibration from the file menu
Select one of their starting maps
Upload to your ECU

It's a pretty straight forward process and only takes a few minutes to do if you're not going to do too many mods to your car and just want to use their provided maps.

You'll need to look into having a tuner adjust your calibration to match your motor once you start doing mods that involve major changes to the air flow or fuel flow characteristics of the engine such as bigger turbos, injectors, cams, etc.

If all you're going to do is exhaust, intercooler and intake, you shouldn't need to wander too far from the calibrations included with flash pro manager.

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
*key-on-engine-off. May not be obvious to everyone-

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Hondata will there be an option to work on the Google Pixelbook and/or other Chromebooks?? My primary portable device is a Pixelbook, of course running ChromeOS... I have Linux installed via "chroot" but it has its limitations still...

Basically I'm asking will there be a "webapp" version or even an "Android" version since newer Chromebooks also support Google Play Store and Android apps? Thanks for any reply!

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically I think you are asking if they will offer a reflash option like they did for the older K series where you send them your ECU and they flash a +3 or +6 psi boost tune onto the ECU and you just plug it in and go when they send it back.
We are not going to offer a reflash for the FK8 (nowadays they seem to be called a 'bench reflash'). The reasoning is that one of those reflashes is almost as much work for us to do, and so the price would not be that different, but you lose a lot of flexibility to add any more features. I'm sure that over time we will add more features to the FK8 that are not there on day one, and if we do that we'll end up dealing with getting the ECU back to update it with the associated costs and vehicle down time. Same thing is there are only problems we need to fix.

@Hondata will there be an option to work on the Google Pixelbook and/or other Chromebooks?
Sorry, no. The Google laptops use Chrome OS, whereas our software is written to run on Windows.

Disclosure: So you know who is behind the keyboard, all the FK8 posts have been made by Derek, whereas most of the previous posts were made by Doug.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry, no. The Google laptops use Chrome OS, whereas our software is written to run on Windows.
Thanks for the reply... I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd ask anyways...

Joescivic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 K20 swapped coupe and 2013 Si coupe
Country flag
Not sure if it was mentioned, but what about bluetooth connection with the Hondata app?

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the future will it be possible to tune with just the flashpro, without the need to send in the ecu?
I believe we are only sending in for encryption removal procedure performed by @Hondata . Any future tuning is done at any authorized shop

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
In the future will it be possible to tune with just the flashpro, without the need to send in the ecu?
It doesn't sound like it will be possible unless someone can figure out how to unlock/unencrypt as DIY.

chingonR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #1592, 2015 Honda Pilot
Country flag
I believe we are only sending in for encryption removal procedure performed by @Hondata . Any future tuning is done at any authorized shop
It doesn't sound like it will be possible unless someone can figure out how to unlock/unencrypt as DIY.
Since this ecu is made by the same manufacturer as vw’s and it can be done with them I thought it might be possible to do it with this one.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Or just use a pre made calibration that I'm sure we'll see from hondata...by using the software to upload the calibration yourself since they mentioned obd2 access...

d1390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
everyone here is excited and we cant even get it here in AUS...the feels..
Sponsored