Hondata Flashpro Tuning for the FK8 Type R!!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Generally we don't take walk ins. Contact us closer to release date.

Prepping the ECU is time consuming so we're going to be limited to how many we can do per day. We'll manage how many orders we take at once, but given that there can be a delay in ordering from our dealers and the ECUs arriving, it might be a couple of days. With everything else (KPros, S300) we can do same day service but I don't think we'll be able to for the FK8.
If I do decide to go this route, I hope you guys do have a drop off option. I'm only like 4 miles away so rather than have to worry about possible "shipping" damage, i'd rather just drive it there and drop it off. I'll see how I feel about this when the release date is there and what exactly you can do is up.
Sponsored

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is early days but I could see some speculation which I could clear up.

We ship thousands of items per year with FedEx and damage is non existent, but I understand your point - it would be silly to ship something 4 miles.

lhonda200

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1995 Integra Gsr, 2004 Jeep Liberty
Country flag
Generally we don't take walk ins. Contact us closer to release date.

Prepping the ECU is time consuming so we're going to be limited to how many we can do per day. We'll manage how many orders we take at once, but given that there can be a delay in ordering from our dealers and the ECUs arriving, it might be a couple of days. With everything else (KPros, S300) we can do same day service but I don't think we'll be able to for the FK8.
You guys are gonna be busy for awhile, when this launches. If it's gonna be limited how many you can take at once. I claim dibs on a first batch lol.

Do you guys know if we are gonna have an option, to have the car start in +R mode? I only use +R and hate having to change it on start up everytime. This feature would be great, if possible.

Thanks

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We will put all the vital features in the March release and then can concentrate on other improvements later on, like the mode button initial setting. It may or may not be possible.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Why in the world would Honda, or any other manufacturer for that matter, make an ECU that is hard to "crack"? Are they trying to prevent people from modding and tuning their cars? Seems like that would do nothing but hurt sales.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Will we need to wait until after the March release to get full answers or is there something planned for earlier?

Want to come to the east coast and do a drive-up-and-get-unlocked event? I’m pretty sure we could get 20 people to show up.

Haha. Seriously though. I’m going to have to arrange overnight shipping both ways and rapid turn around as it’s my daily. Unless the Hondata shops in the area will be able to do the unlock...

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is not Honda's ECU. They got Bosch to do the ECU, and Bosch has had some form of 'tuning protection' for years. Bosch definitely is trying to stop people from reflashing the ECU. I'm surprised that Honda has not locked the ECU down in the US, just from a warranty view.

We'll release information as we can.

It takes too long to do each ECU to be feasible to do some sort of event. 20 would take days.

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys are gonna be busy for awhile, when this launches. If it's gonna be limited how many you can take at once. I claim dibs on a first batch lol.

Do you guys know if we are gonna have an option, to have the car start in +R mode? I only use +R and hate having to change it on start up everytime. This feature would be great, if possible.

Thanks
I want to be able to mix-match the suspension, throttle and steering settings. The decision to marry each setting to a mode was so dumb :(

fk8mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
so at this time its to early to talk for the canada/euro compatibility?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It takes too long to do each ECU to be feasible to do some sort of event. 20 would take days.
Got it. Ok then you guys are going to be swamped out there! Hopefully the Hondata spots on the map in my area are going to gain the ability to do the unlock.

BTW I've been starting to scan the forums on working on the Bosch ECU's. What you have to do to unlock/tune the BMW version is pretty intense.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
So I realize Honda doesn't make these ECU's. Still any idea why a company would lock these things down so tightly to where it's this difficult to crack? Surely they're not worried about tuners but something else.

And I know the new 2.0 Accord is different but would it be similar enough to somewhat expect similar torque numbers as the ones portrayed in Hondata's recent YouTube video that was posted on the 27th?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I realize Honda doesn't make these ECU's. Still any idea why a company would lock these things down so tightly to where it's this difficult to crack? Surely they're not worried about tuners but something else.

And I know the new 2.0 Accord is different but would it be similar enough to somewhat expect similar torque numbers as the ones portrayed in Hondata's recent YouTube video that was posted on the 27th?

Oh man! They pulled 70 ft-lb from a stage 2 tune! I don't know if we'll see quite that gain. The Accord was surely detuned so granny doesn't accidentally drive it through the back of the garage.

If Acura division is seeing this... can we please get the 2.0T with a 6MT and LSD in the TLX?!!!! I'd love a daily like this!

Back to the ECU - I don't know man. I mean I can't see them being worried about 'cheap Chinese knockoffs' because the assemblers know their supply line. Maybe they are afraid of Tyco (or whoever) getting, reverse engineering, and coming to market with a similar product? I mean it almost has to be that. Or maybe the CARB/EU regulating authority requires some means of protecting the emission controls on the vehicle? Just talking out the back of my shorts...surely someone knows better than I do.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh man! They pulled 70 ft-lb from a stage 2 tune! I don't know if we'll see quite that gain. The Accord was surely detuned so granny doesn't accidentally drive it through the back of the garage.

If Acura division is seeing this... can we please get the 2.0T with a 6MT and LSD in the TLX?!!!! I'd love a daily like this!

Back to the ECU - I don't know man. I mean I can't see them being worried about 'cheap Chinese knockoffs' because the assemblers know their supply line. Maybe they are afraid of Tyco (or whoever) getting, reverse engineering, and coming to market with a similar product? I mean it almost has to be that. Or maybe the CARB/EU regulating authority requires some means of protecting the emission controls on the vehicle? Just talking out the back of my shorts...surely someone knows better than I do.
Maybe, just maybe Honda wanted to protect its most prized possession. They put so much r&d and $ into the car and engine why wouldn't they want to protect it?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe, just maybe Honda wanted to protect its most prized possession. They put so much r&d and $ into the car and engine why wouldn't they want to protect it?
Yeah I get that. But what are they protecting? Aside from the possibility of someone mis-tuning the car...they already made the hood aluminum so nobody can rat-rod the car haha.
The NSX is tunable (according to the NSX owner I was talking to recently). Not sure how. I'd think that is more prized even though the take rate is significantly lower.

My guess goes back to some requirement they have. I'll try to do some research on the topic. It's interesting to me!

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I get that. But what are they protecting? Aside from the possibility of someone mis-tuning the car...they already made the hood aluminum so nobody can rat-rod the car haha.
The NSX is tunable (according to the NSX owner I was talking to recently). Not sure how. I'd think that is more prized even though the take rate is significantly lower.

My guess goes back to some requirement they have. I'll try to do some research on the topic. It's interesting to me!
It could just be the way Bosch ECUs are. Honda probably went with Bosch to handle all the complications of having a turbo and tuning along with different drive modes.
Sponsored