Hondata CVT Failure

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Ok, any idea what I can do at this point? I still owe 16k on the car and it's $5k to replace it. The dealership I bought it from also has a powertrain warranty but it's not a Honda dealership
Wait, what do you mean not a Honda dealership? Is the car that you got is used already?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Teklonn

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Wait, what do you mean not a Honda dealership? Is the car that you got is used already?
Yes it was used when I bought it. It was from a jeep Chrysler ram dealership

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Why did you take it to Honda in the first place if the dealer you bought it from gave you a power train warranty?

For the record I think this is very unethical but if you removed your tune and saw the original dealer. They'd be a lot less likely to know if anything was going on.

OP
OP

Teklonn

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Why did you take it to Honda in the first place if the dealer you bought it from gave you a power train warranty?

For the record I think this is very unethical but if you removed your tune and saw the original dealer. They'd be a lot less likely to know if anything was going on.
Because the dealer is 4 hours away from me while the honda dealer is 5 minutes

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Looks like it was already abused and were the unlucky one since you uploaded a tune that provoked the breaking point.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
But wouldn't they have to prove that it was the modification that is what caused the failure. I had this for less than a month so it was going to fail no matter what.
A device to push more power through the engine and transmission & then a failure of the cvt is exactly what the act means lol

The moss magnusson act is for people who say... modify their headlights then transmission blows and they say thats what caused it.

Your aftermarket part is DIRECTLY CONNECTED with your failure

Sorry.. take the L like a man

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Some of my life's lessons cost me a lot more.

I'm sorry that happened. And I hope you can minimize the financial hit.

But embrace the wisdom here: Buying a used (semi) performance model from a non-factory car sales lot can be tricky. And CVT's just aren't built to handle that stuff. As mentioned earlier; I believe the previous owner may have abused the thing (since it has the paddles, IIRC). Don't get fooled again.

Not trying to criticize. Just trying to add some perspective.

Best of luck with it.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Your cheapest out here is to buy a used CVT trans and have it installed. Got zero chance here in getting it covered under warranty.

And for others, Honda is wise to these tuning related failures. All the pcm data is being sent to Honda for analysis, when program numbers, data readings do not compare to stock it throws red flags with the engineering department.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Because the dealer is 4 hours away from me while the honda dealer is 5 minutes
Uh, you don't seem to really want to get this fixed. If I was facing a $5k transmission charge, I'd drive the distance with no questions. If there's a warranty, does it cover the cost of repairs or does it mean you need to have them fix it personally? You need to talk to them.

Do you want them to come to you and fix it in your driveway? C'mon man, you tuned the car and the transmission broke. It always seems like everyone who blows their engine/trans claims to not have abused the car.

It's broken and now you might have to take a few long drives to get it fixed for free. It's a small price to pay. Reflash the stock tune and hit up the dealer you got it from. This is something you should have done before posting. Not sure what you expected us to tell you.

Bhartz412

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
You should complete @gtman's tuning survey if you haven't already.

Sorry to hear about your trans but you're on the hook. They're fully within rights to deny you a warranty claim. It'll be cheaper to get a new transmission than to fight it.
If I am out of my 3 year-36 month warranty, does that include engine/trans failures? Or do those extend to 10-year/100,000 miles? Or does it depend?

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
If I am out of my 3 year-36 month warranty, does that include engine/trans failures? Or do those extend to 10-year/100,000 miles? Or does it depend?
3 year 36k is bumper to bumper. Engine and trans would be the longer time frame.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Your cheapest out here is to buy a used CVT trans and have it installed. Got zero chance here in getting it covered under warranty.

And for others, Honda is wise to these tuning related failures. All the pcm data is being sent to Honda for analysis, when program numbers, data readings do not compare to stock it throws red flags with the engineering department.
So if I get the KTuner v1.2 with Phearable Tune Stage 1.5 Low Boost 15 PSI on my hatch and then later when I need to bring the car in for basic oil or tire maintenance, do they check if the ECU was flashed and the pcm data program numbers comparison? Will it still throw red flags even if I flash it back to stock?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So if I get the KTuner v1.2 with Phearable Tune Stage 1.5 Low Boost 15 PSI on my hatch and then later when I need to bring the car in for basic oil or tire maintenance, do they check if the ECU was flashed and the pcm data program numbers comparison? Will it still throw red flags even if I flash it back to stock?
No. We don't do periodic checks of your engine software programs. The only time this matters is if you are trying to file a warranty claim.

What is happening is people are blowing up engines and transmissions at very low mileages, it makes Honda think there is a larger quality control issue so they ask for snapshot data or will disassemble the trans to do an inspection as to why it failed. Knowing that they sell tuner cars, they know these tuners exist, they aren't stupid lol. So with engine and transmission failures they will set a DTC and we will then send that data to Honda for analysis. The snapshot of the failure has the program number stored as well. They will look at the program number (it won't be a factory number) and they look at the conditions of the fail. If the standard hatchback only makes 8psi or whatever at WOT and it shows you were pulling at 15psi....they know it's tuned as well.

Play with your civic all you want, it's your car, but just don't expect Honda to pay for your racing expenses if it blows up. Know that engine failures and trans failures are a real possibility of tuning a component to work at twice it's designed loads.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
3yr/36k miles is bumper to bumper, everything on the car is covered except some wear and tear items
5yr/60k is powertrain/drivetrain and some other big ticket items
10yr/100k (iirc) is emissions control items
Sponsored