Hondata CVT Failure

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. We don't do periodic checks of your engine software programs. The only time this matters is if you are trying to file a warranty claim.

What is happening is people are blowing up engines and transmissions at very low mileages, it makes Honda think there is a larger quality control issue so they ask for snapshot data or will disassemble the trans to do an inspection as to why it failed. Knowing that they sell tuner cars, they know these tuners exist, they aren't stupid lol. So with engine and transmission failures they will set a DTC and we will then send that data to Honda for analysis. The snapshot of the failure has the program number stored as well. They will look at the program number (it won't be a factory number) and they look at the conditions of the fail. If the standard hatchback only makes 8psi or whatever at WOT and it shows you were pulling at 15psi....they know it's tuned as well.

Play with your civic all you want, it's your car, but just don't expect Honda to pay for your racing expenses if it blows up. Know that engine failures and trans failures are a real possibility of tuning a component to work at twice it's designed loads.
When did Honda start taking apart CVTs? They were a no open part and was full replacement no matter what happened when I got my CVT replaced. And if you flash stock with Ktuner the DTC is erased and software version is the same as factory.
Uh, you don't seem to really want to get this fixed. If I was facing a $5k transmission charge, I'd drive the distance with no questions. If there's a warranty, does it cover the cost of repairs or does it mean you need to have them fix it personally? You need to talk to them.
He is lucky they quoted $5k at that dealer. The $ tag on one from my dealer installed was over $9k. Thank goodness I got mine free :)
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
When did Honda start taking apart CVTs? They were a no open part and was full replacement no matter what happened when I got my CVT replaced. And if you flash stock with Ktuner the DTC is erased and software version is the same as factory.
Some of the newer ones we just drop the pan on, when sections of the belt are in the bottom of the pan we know. But you are correct we haven't rebuilt CVT/AT trans for decades now. We still rebuild manual trans all day, but Honda can better quality control the rebuild by doing it all in house. CVTs are all just remove and replace.

It's also just common sense stuff. If this car is 100% stock, it will probably go under the radar. But dudes, you guys coming in with your IG tag on your quarter glass and a bunch of parts on the car....we put 2 and 2 together lol. When it comes in on the tow truck, it doesn't move AND it has no codes at all, there is ZERO miles of run time since a DTC set either lol.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some of the newer ones we just drop the pan on, when sections of the belt are in the bottom of the pan we know. But you are correct we haven't rebuilt CVT/AT trans for decades now. We still rebuild manual trans all day, but Honda can better quality control the rebuild by doing it all in house. CVTs are all just remove and replace.

It's also just common sense stuff. If this car is 100% stock, it will probably go under the radar. But dudes, you guys coming in with your IG tag on your quarter glass and a bunch of parts on the car....we put 2 and 2 together lol. When it comes in on the tow truck, it doesn't move AND it has no codes at all, there is ZERO miles of run time since a DTC set either lol.
I tell all these people on FB and here that ask about warranty that if they want any shot, they should not only flash stock and remove the Ktuner, but remove the tuner stickers, get rid of your FB INSTA Tiktok stickers naming your account. Downpipes front pipes make it obvious too. Oh and if you posted about your motor blowing, delete it. There are techs and honda people in all of these groups.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag