First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m not sure if you’re trying to help, or just concerned about your own car. But if you’re not in an affected state, this has nothing to do with your car’s ability to pass emissions. MD is not one of the states with this issue.
more along the lines trying to understand what's going on with you guys' issue, which now I get from your replies.
That sucks for you guys, hopefully hondata can help out
Sponsored

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm still slightly new to Maryland.... @AdamD19DFK8 is that an issue for us here in MD?
I just bought it this year. Last time I took my Si they just plugged it in. Didn't put it on rollers or anything. One year awhile ago the dude went to move my car and stalled it... Twice. "That's a touchy clutch" no idiot you just suck.

If they try and put this in gear I'm gonna lose my shit. They would probably try and move it with the parking brake still on. If I see them try I'll just be like no noo nooo, get out. Too bad you can't just stay in the car. You can just plug right into the obd2 without looking.

That shit is a scam anyway.

Last edited:

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Some parts of PA and TN only. You’re not effected. Only these states where you have to achieve 100% readiness to pass.
NJ requires 100% readiness monitors set to pass at a state facility. I've HEARD rumors that a PIF (private inspection facility) can pass you with one not showing, but 99% of the time, when one of my emissions related readiness' failed to set, there was more than one failing, thus even a PIF couldn't help.

PRL catted downpipe. When tuning with my laptop awhile ago, before starting when I've had a tune running for awhile I looked at the dtcs for the hell of it and everything was clear. The only thing with a new tune it takes the ECU a few warm up cycles to learn the proper idle but everything looks clear. When I get home I'll hook up the laptop and take a screen shot
Bear in mind that DTC's while correlated to the drive cycle/readiness monitors are not identical. Clearing any DTCs (or flashing the ECU) will cause the readiness' to reset requiring a drive cycle to be completed prior to re-testing. Again, I could certainly be wrong, but in my experience this holds true. I'm not intimately familiar with Hondata or FlashPro so I can't say if it does show the readiness monitors readily in there. I'd be curious to see the screenshots though for sure.

For instance, in my Nissan there was a way at startup to check if readiness was 100% set by how the SES/CEL would blink. If it blinked and held steady for x seconds or whatever before turning off it was good to go, and if it kept blinking you weren't ready (or vice versa, it's been years lol).

whymi

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 si, 17 type r
Country flag
This is an interesting question. I was talking to someone who owns a Harley Davidson edition f150. He has a tuner and a smaller pulley installed. He is trying to sell it, but it wont pass CA smog tests. Even though he reverted to the "stock" flash there are 2 monitors that wont set, I forget which ones, but anyways he was flagged at a smog station and told he needed to go to the state referee. The ref wont pass the truck because of the tuner. Now the guy tells me that in order to pass, he needs to get a factory pulley and get the tuner removed (buy new ecu). He told me that CA can see if you're tuned, even on a stock calibration. This has me kinda worried about buying any tuning software.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
After my latest tune everything was clear and ready except for the evaporation monitor. I've been working at this fire house where I can just take the backroads the whole way and never get to do consistent highway speeds which are what's needed to complete the test.

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
NJ requires 100% readiness monitors set to pass at a state facility. I've HEARD rumors that a PIF (private inspection facility) can pass you with one not showing, but 99% of the time, when one of my emissions related readiness' failed to set, there was more than one failing, thus even a PIF couldn't help.

Bear in mind that DTC's while correlated to the drive cycle/readiness monitors are not identical. Clearing any DTCs (or flashing the ECU) will cause the readiness' to reset requiring a drive cycle to be completed prior to re-testing. Again, I could certainly be wrong, but in my experience this holds true. I'm not intimately familiar with Hondata or FlashPro so I can't say if it does show the readiness monitors readily in there. I'd be curious to see the screenshots though for sure.

For instance, in my Nissan there was a way at startup to check if readiness was 100% set by how the SES/CEL would blink. If it blinked and held steady for x seconds or whatever before turning off it was good to go, and if it kept blinking you weren't ready (or vice versa, it's been years lol).
I am in NJ and was planning on getting hondata very soon. I assumed to pass inspection all I had to do was flash back to stock. If that's not the case then I guess I won't be getting it. Anyone else from NJ with hondata want to chime in?

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
I am in NJ and was planning on getting hondata very soon. I assumed to pass inspection all I had to do was flash back to stock. If that's not the case then I guess I won't be getting it. Anyone else from NJ with hondata want to chime in?
You can definitely flash back to stock and pass. The only place where it could be an issue is if you have a catless downpipe. There are probably even workarounds for that.

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
You can definitely flash back to stock and pass. The only place where it could be an issue is if you have a catless downpipe. There are probably even workarounds for that.
Got it, I plan to stay catted so I guess I should be good to go. Thanks!

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Got it, I plan to stay catted so I guess I should be good to go. Thanks!
Post up if you need any help when you get it!

After posting this thread, I got one, and it’s been a great experience.
Sponsored