Hondata carb legal tunes and race flashpro

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
@spyder57 I'm still not sure how it will pan out. I would feel better if Hondata can just say Yes, we are backing up our product and you'll pass SMOG with the CARB version. We have the executive order and even though you jailbroke your ECU and you're running the CARB version it will not matter.

AUTHORITY TO FAIL VEHICLES FOR MODIFIED
SOFTWARE
• BAR-OIS regulations adopted on July 1, 2013 include
Section 3340.42.2(c)(8)
• “The vehicle's OBD system data does not match the
original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or an Air
Resources Board (ARB) exempted OBD software
configuration.”
Agreed, from the sounds of it, even the carb version is going to fail the checksum test as it CVN won't match up with the mfg version. Which means you'll get flagged for the state ref who can then potentially clear you if you can show the carb EO paperwork. That's quite a lot of hoops to jump through.
Sponsored

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
@Hondata is the ecu clone option still offered? Looks like those links have disappeared on your site.

OP
OP
Kingamer

Kingamer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ctr championship white, Aegean blue 18 civic ex sedan
Country flag
@spyder57 If you wanna do a clone ecu you might as well spend the same money at honda for an oem ecu programmed by the dealer so you have a record and it would cost roughly the same price

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just read the executive order. Only covers type r thru 2019 model year.
It corvers all FK8s to current, and beyond that if the enissions standards are the same. The CA ARB is fairly good when it comes to allowing additional model years without re-testing as long as the emissions standards are the same and the manufacturer (us) makes the same changes.
@Hondata is the ecu clone option still offered? Looks like those links have disappeared on your site.
We do not offer cloned ECUs.

We have found that the CA ARB are good to work with and they understand these type of issues, so this new rule will get sorted out eventually. It probably was the action of one person with insufficient consultation with other folks, or perhaps they wanted to implement the rule and then sort out the consequences later.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To answer the OPs original question, only the CARB flash pro has the CARB sticker, which is the thing you really need. They aren’t going in and checking tuning parameters. Only the CARB flash pro is fully locked. So even though the tunes are the same, the Race flash pro allows actual tuning and hence no sticker, no EO number, hence not passing inspection.

That does not answer the ultimate question. Which is can you just flash to stock and remove non-CARB compliant components and then be on your way.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
It corvers all FK8s to current, and beyond that if the enissions standards are the same. The CA ARB is fairly good when it comes to allowing additional model years without re-testing as long as the emissions standards are the same and the manufacturer (us) makes the same changes.

We do not offer cloned ECUs.

We have found that the CA ARB are good to work with and they understand these type of issues, so this new rule will get sorted out eventually. It probably was the action of one person with insufficient consultation with other folks, or perhaps they wanted to implement the rule and then sort out the consequences later.
Thanks for the response, this is helpful. Disappointing that the clone ecu option is no longer available but thanks for the answer.

Deleted member 44294

In those counties you must still pass smog when buying a used car over 4 years old. Then you never have to smog again as long as you own the car. If/ when you sell you must smog. A bit of a gotcha unless you run her into the ground.

OP
OP
Kingamer

Kingamer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ctr championship white, Aegean blue 18 civic ex sedan
Country flag
@20 Type R it almost makes it worth it moving out there ALMOST lol
Riverside is still tweaker central

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
Where is everyone putting their Carb EO stickers from their Flashpro? I read stories you can't just have it in your glovebox. It has to be affixed under the engine bay, but that is regarding bolt ons. Not sure how they want it for tunes.

Deleted member 44294

I would simply place the sticker under hood in an easy to read area so the smog tech won’t miss it.

JO3L

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1E5, NA6CE
Country flag
I would simply place the sticker under hood in an easy to read area so the smog tech won’t miss it.
Under the hood or near the radiator core support seems to be most common.

Looking up the CARB EO # on ARB's website...they don't even have the 10th gens listed. I am hoping this just hasn't been updated on their website, but is updated in their Smog Station computers. Since Hondata says they had no problems testing a 2017 Si I guess I really shouldn't be worried.

Attachments

Deleted member 44294

Under the hood or near the radiator core support seems to be most common.

Looking up the CARB EO # on ARB's website...they don't even have the 10th gens listed. I am hoping this just hasn't been updated on their website, but is updated in their Smog Station computers. Since Hondata says they had no problems testing a 2017 Si I guess I really shouldn't be worried.
I called them a couple of months ago and they had not received carb approval yet for the 20 and up