First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
I figured it out haha this is great now im not worried when doing brakes

I wouldn't imagine that it would, let me know how it goes, if you are still having trouble PM me and I'll see if I can recreate what I did and give you step by step directions!
Sponsored

LumpyPumpy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hondata would be able to answer this question better. But if they don't, myself and a lot of other people just used this. Plug it in, put rears in maintenance mode, compress the piston back the rest of the way (very little) install pads and remove from maintenance mode. Very cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AP200-Bluetooth-Professional-Automotive/dp/B07QD4GZW4
This didn't work for me. I downloaded the Honda software and put the rear brakes into maintenance mode. when I do that I can hear the EPB doing its thing but then when I take the caliper off the piston isn't retracted at all and the new pads do not fit. thoughts?

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This didn't work for me. I downloaded the Honda software and put the rear brakes into maintenance mode. when I do that I can hear the EPB doing its thing but then when I take the caliper off the piston isn't retracted at all and the new pads do not fit. thoughts?
You still have to push back the regular brake pistons, I think. The EPB piston isn't going to pull them back when it retracts.

LumpyPumpy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You still have to push back the regular brake pistons, I think. The EPB piston isn't going to pull them back when it retracts.
Yep. That worked! I had to apply quite bit of pressure but it slid back smoothly. I just didn't want to try to force it and end up breaking something. Thanks!

BerzerkerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You still have to use a brake tool to compress the piston, you need to take the caliper off witha 7mm Hex then use the brake tool the one that twists, not a brake compressor.

LumpyPumpy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You still have to use a brake tool to compress the piston, you need to take the caliper off witha 7mm Hex then use the brake tool the one that twists, not a brake compressor.
Once the car was in maintenance mode I tried twisting the piston back further but it wouldn't go. It had no problem being pushed back though. Once it was back together everything worked fine.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is not correct--if you retract the parking brake from the computer, you don't need to twist the piston. You just push it straight back and it's super easy. See service manual picture of rear pad replacement below.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hondata + Brake Pad Maintenance Mode Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.59.15 AM
Sponsored