Honda's current stance on the factory fill oil?

RType

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Has Honda's position on the factory fill oil changed? Several years ago, Honda stated that the factory fill oil contained properties that were important to the engine break-in and that changing the oil early could damage the engine. I've searched the website and my owner's manual (2019 model year) and I don't see this language anymore... I still plan on following my car's maintenance minder, but I'm just curious because Honda used to be the only manufacturer that actually stated changing the oil early was bad.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I've read many discussions here re: that subject. 'Break-in oil' and 'first oil change' are the keywords, IIRC.

Google may be more helpful finding the threads than the search bar here.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Change the oil with the maintenance reminder and you’ll be fine. I had my car come straight from the factory had 0 miles on it and of course had no car fluids because of transportation. Anyways I saw them fill my cars fluids, they just used normal Honda oil

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Only "clue" is what the owner's manual states:
"Change the oil and filter in accordance with the maintenance message on the driver
information interface."

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Change the oil with the maintenance reminder and you’ll be fine. I had my car come straight from the factory had 0 miles on it and of course had no car fluids because of transportation. Anyways I saw them fill my cars fluids, they just used normal Honda oil
I don't know how it is possible that your car came from the factory with no fluids in it. People at every part of shipping have to move the vehicle around and that requires it to be running.

OP
OP

RType

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I've read many discussions here re: that subject. 'Break-in oil' and 'first oil change' are the keywords, IIRC.

Google may be more helpful finding the threads than the search bar here.
My question is if Honda has changed their advice regarding the first oil change. I've done quite a bit of searching and found that Honda used to explicitly state that changing the oil early could damage engines, but nowadays that language has disappeared from their website and owner's manuals. I was just curious that's all. I still plan on following the maintenance minder.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I don't know how it is possible that your car came from the factory with no fluids in it. People at every part of shipping have to move the vehicle around and that requires it to be running.
My bad not “no fluids” it had fluids, but they were not topped off

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My question is if Honda has changed their advice regarding the first oil change. I've done quite a bit of searching and found that Honda used to explicitly state that changing the oil early could damage engines, but nowadays that language has disappeared from their website and owner's manuals. I was just curious that's all. I still plan on following the maintenance minder.
Yea, when I got my 17, I had done a search on here about it and there was a builiten posted saying they have some kind of additive and to leave the factory fill in as long as possible. I left it in till the mm said change due now and never had any issues.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I believe Honda didn't change anything about their factory fill oil and how they feel about it. One thing they did change is to rely totally on the MM for oil changes and most other things instead of giving specific instructions and too technical explanations. So I believe this is possibly built in the MM that the first oil change interval may be set longer than the following ones. This seemed to be the case with my civic, but I changed the oil before 5000 anyway.

Below is a link to a 10 years old Edmunds text on oil. (It's funny how at any time during the last 100 years they have been saying that "tremendous improvements" have been done to motor oils "in recent years." ).
I'm very skeptical about any article debunking urban legends and myths, because they are never 100% true as the authors often are trying too hard to find more "myths" to debunk. So here number 7 is not realy a myth.

But under number 5 they confirm that Honda always used the "factory fill," and this came from a Blackstone Labs guy.

So Blackstone sholud be able to easily answer this question. They should know what is in the factory fill of amost any car.

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
Quick question. I'm assuming you have a Civic Type R from your profile. Just wondering how you purchased a brand new car with zero miles on it? At the factory they test drive the car before approving it. And then they have to move it to the trucks that bring it to the shipyard. At minimum there would be a mile on it

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not to mention there had better have been "fluids" in it from the factory if the car was started/moved after build. Dealer may have checked and topped off fluids - it's called the PDI and is done for every new vehicle.

wanDUH

First Name
wanDUH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Hatchback,1999 Honda Accord EX
Country flag
I bought my 2020 hatchback brand new in January. And since I work at a oil change place I tend to check my oil frequently. And I actually did my first oil change at about 1718 miles (guesstimate). I only changed it because when I checked the oil it was pretty dark..??‍♀ lol

I've googled recommendations on the "break in" but saw all different answers. So hopefully me doing it so early wouldn't mess with the engine..????. I used Castrol full synthetic because I'd rather not use the oils at work...coming from big ass tanks downstairs...

Also, is it just me or has anybody ever noticed how quick the coolant disappears?? I noticed at work on the newer civics..majority of the coolant in the reservoir is almost always at minimum..??‍♀??

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
There is no such thing as getting a car with zero miles on it.

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
I bought my 2020 hatchback brand new in January. And since I work at a oil change place I tend to check my oil frequently. And I actually did my first oil change at about 1718 miles (guesstimate). I only changed it because when I checked the oil it was pretty dark..??‍♀ lol

I've googled recommendations on the "break in" but saw all different answers. So hopefully me doing it so early wouldn't mess with the engine..????. I used Castrol full synthetic because I'd rather not use the oils at work...coming from big ass tanks downstairs...

Also, is it just me or has anybody ever noticed how quick the coolant disappears?? I noticed at work on the newer civics..majority of the coolant in the reservoir is almost always at minimum..??‍♀??
You'll be fine. I have a Civic Type R and I did my first oil change at 500 miles. They do use a different oil from the factory for the break in period. But you put on plenty of Miles you'll be fine. As far as the coolant, you might have a leak or something. My coolant hasn't gone down that much. Make sure you check your coolant when the car is cold and hasn't been running. The levels will change if you check it when the engine is hot compared to when it's cold. All in all it's just an Overflow Tank. So as long as you see coolant in the reservoir, then you know that the radiator is full and is good. And when in doubt always read your manual in the glove box. The people that made your car made that manual
Sponsored

Last edited: