Honda Type-R transmission warranty experience a joke!! Terrible!

Ripper3785

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP EX-L Sedan CVT
Country flag
A thought that just crossed my mind- Should it progress to invoking lemon law-how does ADM factor into 'A refund of the purchase price, less a reasonable amount for your use of the vehicle.'
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t think ADM is factored into anything. I view ADM as almost a non-refundable fee - the markup DOES NOT increase the actual market value of your car. That’s why I warn against financing with ADM tacked on - you are quite literally underwater on your loan the moment you sign the paper because the market value is not affected by any additional markup.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
A thought that just crossed my mind- Should it progress to invoking lemon law-how does ADM factor into 'A refund of the purchase price, less a reasonable amount for your use of the vehicle.'
That needs to be answered by a lemon law lawyer.

Last edited:

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@evo_dwn You need to consult an attorney. Most consultations are free or cheap. Posting here is good to fish for people who have experienced this, but only an attorney is going to give you proper legal counsel. Having everything documented is only helping your case so keep it up. Social media is another way to get the dealership to budge, but I recommend only going this route after consulting a lawyer. Now let's assume you have to lemon the car, but you're out the ADM or whatever else then you can also pursue a civil lawsuit to try and reclaim those financial losses. I'm not exactly familiar with civil suits, but I think self-representation is enough since a judge decides the verdict.

TLDR, talk to an attorney, preferably one that deals with lemon law.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
It seems as though the unwillingness by Honda to replace the trans outright and take the old back in for diagnostic and further testing is being compounded in your case by a horribly run service department at your dealership.

I can tell you that what they are allowed to replace on your car is dictated to them by Honda, because they are ultimately who ship the parts for them to install. If that dealership is abusing your car in that manner while waiting for said parts to arrive and then actually damaging your car in the process of installing them, that seems more than actionable to me.

Honda can’t be held responsible for the dealer’s lack of proper treatment of your car in an exposed condition, and I’m the least litigious person you’d ever meet, but given what you’ve reported and documented, I would be at least having a conversation with some sort of counsel to see what your options are. Who knows what else has gone on that you weren’t able to catch and identify along the way...

Sorry to hear about this.

I don’t have grinds or lockouts in my car anymore, but I did give up on having the dealer try to address various rattles in the car. Unfortunately it’s somewhat luck of the draw on the technician they put on your car and how much pride they take in their work. Obviously the guy they had work on my car couldn’t be bothered to come up with real solutions on some of my interior issues, but even moreso you have been dealt about the worst possible hand and I’d be looking for a way out as I’d never be able to put those images out of my mind while owning and driving that car; it’s going to make you beyond paranoid driving it.
When you say you dont have grinds or lock outs anymore.. could you explain? You use too? Got fixed? Details please.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
That sucks, sorry you're having to deal with this. I see you're in Northern VA, had to go back to your OP to see which dealership was screwing you over. I wasn't likely to take my car to Woodbridge anyway, but certainly going to avoid Hendrick now. And it sucks that Honda corporate is so hands off with its dealers, they're not doing the brand any favors. Hope somebody gets you fixed up soon.

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 civic, 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite, 2018 CTR RR
Country flag
I wish you the absolute best of luck, and hope that your experience and outcome is better than mine. I was just informed of more information, which just gets worse. It is becoming hopeless at this point.

They ruined the input shaft and bearing trying to press the new gearsets on.

So I went in today and was able to easily reproduce the issue with the DSM. He just said, yeah, our engineers are looking into a possible fix for this issue but nothing is ready yet. Corporate case manager called me up later in the day today saying it simply can't be fixed and I need to refer to the "consumer protection information" that came with the car for what to do next. They are completely denying to fix this obvious defect with the car.

Thoughts?

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
So I went in today and was able to easily reproduce the issue with the DSM. He just said, yeah, our engineers are looking into a possible fix for this issue but nothing is ready yet. Corporate case manager called me up later in the day today saying it simply can't be fixed and I need to refer to the "consumer protection information" that came with the car for what to do next. They are completely denying to fix this obvious defect with the car.

Thoughts?
Lawyer up

OP
OP
evo_dwn

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR

Thoughts?

It sounds like any of us with legitimate issues, are simply being told to get fucked by Honda themselves.

I have hit a breaking point and am contacting a lawyer to proceed forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
evo_dwn

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
@evo_dwn You need to consult an attorney. Most consultations are free or cheap. Posting here is good to fish for people who have experienced this, but only an attorney is going to give you proper legal counsel. Having everything documented is only helping your case so keep it up. Social media is another way to get the dealership to budge, but I recommend only going this route after consulting a lawyer. Now let's assume you have to lemon the car, but you're out the ADM or whatever else then you can also pursue a civil lawsuit to try and reclaim those financial losses. I'm not exactly familiar with civil suits, but I think self-representation is enough since a judge decides the verdict.

TLDR, talk to an attorney, preferably one that deals with lemon law.

Proceeding forward with the legal route, scheduling a consultation tomorrow. Car is now in worse shape than before it arrived for the warranty "repair".

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I wish you the best @evo_dwn

Please keep us updated as you can without hurting your legal standing.

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acura
Country flag
make sure to show the lawyers both the poll thread and the grind thread and youtube videos and its comments and the fb page where people even the 2018 owners are experiencing grinds. hopefully if enough people sue honda will just say okok we'll fix it
Sponsored