Honda Type-R transmission warranty experience a joke!! Terrible!

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Sucks to hear about your experience especially with the expectations of Honda's reliability. Honda transmissions do have there quirks and has been going on for so long.

Good thing you are there physically checking on the status of your car or else you wouldn't have seen the transmission out in the weather collecting rust.

Good detailed post just in case someone else has to go through this experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
evo_dwn

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
Sucks to hear about your experience especially with the expectations of Honda's reliability. Honda transmissions do have there quirks and has been going on for so long.

Good thing you are there physically checking on the status of your car or else you wouldn't have seen the transmission out in the weather collecting rust.

Good detailed post just in case someone else has to go through this experience.

Just got off the phone with corporate yet again, always side stepping the present issue and trying to work their way around it, it seems. It’s an absolute joke.

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 civic, 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite, 2018 CTR RR
Country flag
Just got off the phone with corporate yet again, always side stepping the present issue and trying to work their way around it, it seems. It’s an absolute joke.
I am in the beginning stages of what you are describing now. I have a case number with Honda Corporate and am meeting the DM this Wednesday to demonstrate the issue. I am hoping for an overall better experience. I will keep you posted.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I have been through similar issues with other cars and manuals. I feel for you and hope you get some help. If you can afford it you may want to start talking to lawyers.

brun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 ABM CTR #358, '01 2JZ-GTE IS300, '08 TW FA5, '15 WDP MDX SH-AWD ENT
Country flag
man, I hope you get everything worked out. Sounds like a horrible dealership, Honda not helping either :mad:

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
They left the car outside with the transmission removed? So the car is outside on blocks? WTF kind of dealership is this?

OP
OP
evo_dwn

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
I am in the beginning stages of what you are describing now. I have a case number with Honda Corporate and am meeting the DM this Wednesday to demonstrate the issue. I am hoping for an overall better experience. I will keep you posted.
I wish you the absolute best of luck, and hope that your experience and outcome is better than mine. I was just informed of more information, which just gets worse. It is becoming hopeless at this point.

They ruined the input shaft and bearing trying to press the new gearsets on.

OP
OP
evo_dwn

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
man, I hope you get everything worked out. Sounds like a horrible dealership, Honda not helping either :mad:
Day number 16 in the shop. It is an absolute disaster.

OP
OP
evo_dwn

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
They left the car outside with the transmission removed? So the car is outside on blocks? WTF kind of dealership is this?
It is not on blocks, but it certainly has not been inside every night as I had requested.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
They ruined the input shaft and bearing trying to press the new gearsets on.
It seems that the dealer's techs are having a difficult time with that rebuild. You will probably get a new transmission like @PepsiJoe did but everything sounds ok now for him.
I wonder if Honda of America will force the dealer to pay for a new trans and installation. Maybe the hold up and side stepping is Honda fighting with the dealer over who pays the bill. What a mess. Dealer screwed up the rebuild that they didn't want to do in the first place so now you don't have a drivable car.

If you could go back, would you rather have taken the car to a transmission shop and pay for the rebuild to avoid this mess? I don't think this headache is worth a free Honda 'warranty' repair.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
good lord the incompetence of some dealers astounds me. Keep us updated.

Ripper3785

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP EX-L Sedan CVT
Country flag
I would also be most unhappy to be treated like that, have my car sit outside for 2 weeks in pieces, and to see the rusty flywheel and pressure plate. But that looks like the kind of surface rust you see on brake discs after they get wet and dry. That can be easily cleaned off.

PepsiJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
It seems as though the unwillingness by Honda to replace the trans outright and take the old back in for diagnostic and further testing is being compounded in your case by a horribly run service department at your dealership.

I can tell you that what they are allowed to replace on your car is dictated to them by Honda, because they are ultimately who ship the parts for them to install. If that dealership is abusing your car in that manner while waiting for said parts to arrive and then actually damaging your car in the process of installing them, that seems more than actionable to me.

Honda can’t be held responsible for the dealer’s lack of proper treatment of your car in an exposed condition, and I’m the least litigious person you’d ever meet, but given what you’ve reported and documented, I would be at least having a conversation with some sort of counsel to see what your options are. Who knows what else has gone on that you weren’t able to catch and identify along the way...

Sorry to hear about this.

I don’t have grinds or lockouts in my car anymore, but I did give up on having the dealer try to address various rattles in the car. Unfortunately it’s somewhat luck of the draw on the technician they put on your car and how much pride they take in their work. Obviously the guy they had work on my car couldn’t be bothered to come up with real solutions on some of my interior issues, but even moreso you have been dealt about the worst possible hand and I’d be looking for a way out as I’d never be able to put those images out of my mind while owning and driving that car; it’s going to make you beyond paranoid driving it.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Honestly I’m surprised in this day and age Honda is allowing dealers to rebuild transmissions as most manufacturers just replace the transmission as it can end up cheaper in the long run as the labour and parts required to rebuild can add up fast and doesn’t always guarantee a better functioning transmission. Ford had similar issues with the MT82 transmission and replaced most of them as it was rare to hear about a rebuild.
Sponsored