Honda/Toyota reliability vs other mfgs ?

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only reason I got my Civic is because of reliability issues! I was completely and totally in love with my Jeep Wrangler (I still miss her)...until I had to have it towed to a dealer for the second time in a little over a year. At the time it was only 4 years old with 60K on it. There were a few other small issues along the way that had happened, but the fact that it needed to be towed again, was the final straw. I've been driving for over 20 years, and never had to have a vehicle towed. Combined with my 40 mile (one way) commute, I had to let her go.

I worked in the car business for 13 years, and the dealer I worked for had GM (Buick, Pontiac, GMC), Hyundai, Mazda, and Chrysler (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram). I can tell you that the GM service bays were always full, there were usually a good number of fairly new cars in them, and the new cars were usually there for issues (not routine maintenance). Same at the Chrysler store. The Hyundai and Mazda stores usually had older cars in (5 years old or older), or new cars getting regular maintenance work.

From my own personal experience, I've had Mazda's (MX-3 GS, Protege, Protege5, Mazdaspeed6, CX-9), a Subaru (Outback Sport), Jeep's (Wrangler JKU, Grand Cherokee WK2), and this Civic (Si), and the only one to give me any problems was the Wrangler. Yet somehow that damn Wrangler is the one I miss the most. But so far, this Civic has been great! I'm really enjoying it, and ideally I'd like to get another Wrangler for fun (so that I don't have to rely on it), and keep the Civic until the wheels fall off.
Sponsored

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes for Honda good knowledge and no 'cause Civic 10th generation have noting to do with past generation.
People have been saying that for the last 30 years after each major redesign lol.

While the infotainment is a sore point in quality/reliability surveys, it's all but certain that this car will continue to score well in long term reliability - particularly with those focused on the mechanical aspects such as the powertrains.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had a Chevette, which was miserable but usually ran.

A 1990 Jeep Wrangler with a straight 6 that was very troublesome. It was super fun, but I lived in an emissions testing state and every year it cost money to keep it on the road.

I had a Saturn SL-2 twin cam, which was a nice car but it started showing high oil consumption passing 60k miles.

Next was a Nissan Sentra, which was without a doubt the worst car I've ever owned. It tried to kill me several times when it would stall during a left turn. I vowed to never touch a Nissan again.

I had a First gen Dodge Durango. It was nice, with just a few issues at first, but then the moment it hit 30k, all sorts of problems appeared. The Durango wore out its welcome when it blew a radiator hose fitting leaving my pregnant-wife standing on the side of the road in the dead of winter because she couldn't tell if the cloud rolling out of the hood was smoke or steam.

The next week I traded it in on our first Honda Odyssey. In the past 15 years our Oddys have been reliable friends, never leaving us stranded.

I had a Wolfsburg Jetta as well. It was a great driving car, but it had problems. most were nussance type things, but it started to fall apart around 75k miles.

I traded it in on a 9th gen Civic, which also gave me 3 years of no troubles. So, yes, I'm convinced that Honda's are just better.

My family, before they all tipped over, were largely Toyota people and to be fair, they seem similarly reliable, but Honda's always seem just a bit nicer for the same money. And there is no comparison on how they handle, Honda wins.
Sponsored