Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T?

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm surprised by how fast dilution occurs. 2,500 miles since my last oil change it has a strong fuel smell, looks thin, and spreads out fast on a paper towel like water. Just shy of 1/2 inch over the max line. Honda told me to take longer drives. Spent over $20,000, it better be able to handle short trips as well.
I just thought of this but why in the hell did Honda design a turbo engine that gets 3-4 better mpg's than a normally aspirated 2.4L if you will be required to drive it twice as far to burn off fuel in the oil??? You are totally defeating the purpose of the DI and the turbo!! The point should be to save the customer money on fuel and produce less CO2. Now we will spend as much on gas as the V8 Mustangs!
Sponsored

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I just thought of this but why in the hell did Honda design a turbo engine that gets 3-4 better mpg's than a normally aspirated 2.4L if you will be required to drive it twice as far to burn off fuel in the oil??? You are totally defeating the purpose of the DI and the turbo!! The point should be to save the customer money on fuel and produce less CO2. Now we will spend as much on gas as the V8 Mustangs!
Or you just shorten the oil change interval. If you are even affected by fuel dilution.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Or you just shorten the oil change interval. If you are even affected by fuel dilution.
Yeah I know there are "solutions" and go-arounds but it's not like money grows on trees. Saving money on gas should go hand-in-hand with very low maintenance costs.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Yeah I know there are "solutions" and go-arounds but it's not like money grows on trees. Saving money on gas should go hand-in-hand with very low maintenance costs.
A turbo never goes hand-in-hand with very low maintenance costs.

Let's estimate an oil change is $50 and that the 1.5T gets on average 5% better fuel economy than the 2.0 NA. 2.0 NA oil change interval is 7500 miles, 1.5T oil change interval is reduced to 5000 miles. 1.5T still has a lower operating cost per mile than the 2.0 NA.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Made an appointment for A1/2 service for my Si here in Ohio this morning. The receptionist mentioned a recall issued today for this issue. They will replace a part on the AC unit, do a software update and change the oil.

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The receptionist mentioned a recall issued today for this issue. They will replace a part on the AC unit, do a software update and change the oil.
I just checked the Honda Owners site and didn't see anything about this for my 2017 Si. Did you happen to get a TB number or anything?

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I just checked the Honda Owners site and didn't see anything about this for my 2017 Si. Did you happen to get a TB number or anything?
Sorry i didn't get a number. I couldn't' find it on the Honda site either. Another member reported the recall here as well.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Made an appointment for A1/2 service for my Si here in Ohio this morning. The receptionist mentioned a recall issued today for this issue. They will replace a part on the AC unit, do a software update and change the oil.
Saw the bulletin today at my dealer, it's exactly as you stated. One caveat: they will change the oil BUT not the filter, pay the extra $6-7 & get a filter too, why leave a dirty filter with clean oil? Honda is kinda being a cheapskate on this!

Curtman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
adfdsfdsf
Vehicle Showcase
I got a letter from Honda that said bring it in for a software reflash to change the injector timing and something to do with the climate control as well. I don't remember exactly what it said.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I got a letter from Honda that said bring it in for a software reflash to change the injector timing and something to do with the climate control as well. I don't remember exactly what it said.
Call me a PUSSY - I don't care , but I am going to wait and see what new issues are caused by Dealers doing this recall, before I will trust any Dealer to reflash the software and mess with the climate control on my 2018 Si.

While it seem to make technical sense to me (with my limited knowledge) to adjust the injector timing, and also to get the engine up to operating temperature as soon as possible, it also makes common sense to me to not be one of the first ones that my Dealer experiments on to do this update.

Maybe you could post a Scan of that letter, (with your personal info Photo-shopped out )

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Saw the bulletin today at my dealer, it's exactly as you stated. One caveat: they will change the oil BUT not the filter, pay the extra $6-7 & get a filter too, why leave a dirty filter with clean oil? Honda is kinda being a cheapskate on this!
That changed .. Back in Feb 2018 they were saying that the Dealer could claim for the Filter as well ...

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? oil1

kazak

First Name
Vitali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic hatchback
Country flag
I just call to Honda dealer and check my cars by VIN numbers and both my 2016 sedan ex and 2018 hatchback lx is shown as eligible for recall.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 1.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 2.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 3.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 4.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 5.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 6.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 7.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to fix fuel dilution issue on 1.5T? 8.JPG

kazak

First Name
Vitali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just call to Honda dealer and check my cars by VIN numbers and both my 2016 sedan ex and 2018 hatchback lx is shown as eligible for recall.

kazak

First Name
Vitali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
That's a pleasure to know, but what state is this?
Sponsored