First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport, Mk4 Jetta VR6
Country flag
Hey guys,

So I took my Civic for it's first service today and when they gave me my car back they said they had something to tell me about my aftermarket suspension. Basically one of the techs said that it was making a loud clunking noise when it is lifted off the ground. I told him that everything drives fine and I don't hear any noises when I drive but he said he'd have to take a look at it.

I took it home and examined it and I didn't see anything that would be the problem.... I jacked it from multiple different points and I heard some creaking (which I'm sure is pretty normal) but I never heard any loud clanking.

Thoughts? I'm kinda suspicious of what he said.... He told me I'll only hear the sound if I have a hydraulic lift at home or jumping it. He said I should try dropping it on the ground super fast.... WTF
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What suspension changes have you made?

OP
OP
integraboi

integraboi

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe when the suspension bottoms out, it is hitting something?
Hmmm, possibly but I think he said it was when he raised the car up too.

I haven't heard this sound he was talking about.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't think they're too happy about the whole aftermarket suspension thing, at least they didn't sound happy.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Sounds like it’s either the rear spring perches or the front camber plate/pillow ball mount, which is not uncommon with coilovers, since you have metal/metal contact where there was once rubber with the OE suspension.

Just the nature of the beast really. If you don’t hear it, then I wouldn’t worry IMO.

Dipz

First Name
Dipz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Type R
Country flag
Sounds like my driver's rear Tein coilover. It has no leaks but smashes real hard on the slightest bump. Tein has a recommended lowered height listed and if you go past that then it causes this.

OP
OP
integraboi

integraboi

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like my driver's rear Tein coilover. It has no leaks but smashes real hard on the slightest bump. Tein has a recommended lowered height listed and if you go past that then it causes this.
Really? I had no idea. Is this harmful for the suspension?

Dipz

First Name
Dipz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Type R
Country flag
Wears out supporting suspension quicker depending on how much lower you are. I'm max'd out and my rack and pinion creaks but that's slam life for ya.

-JP-

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR, '06 RSX-S, '10 MDX, '01 Sequoia
Country flag
I had similar issues on previous cars with coil overs and can be noisy. Make sure the perches for preload and ride height are tight. When they jacked up the car, some tension may have been released resulting in the sound they heard which is likely the spring untwisting/unbinding. For me, to resolve, I tightened perches by tapping (not beating) one of the spanner wrenches with a hammer. I googled and cant find the article to back this. Hope this helps. Good luck!

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It's natural that aftermarket bits on your car and Honda dealers won't mix that well. I would email the manufacturer of the coilovers for any general tips. As far as how it drives, you are the main information source and will always know your baby the best so if it feels good then that's what matters most. Also with noises, if you don't hear them then they can't be that bad. An alignment tech will be a good resource for dialing in a good set of adjustments for performance and tire wear and your specific needs. I would say try to stay away from negative cambers above 1.0-1.5 degrees for the street.

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

So I took my Civic for it's first service today and when they gave me my car back they said they had something to tell me about my aftermarket suspension. Basically one of the techs said that it was making a loud clunking noise when it is lifted off the ground. I told him that everything drives fine and I don't hear any noises when I drive but he said he'd have to take a look at it.

I took it home and examined it and I didn't see anything that would be the problem.... I jacked it from multiple different points and I heard some creaking (which I'm sure is pretty normal) but I never heard any loud clanking.

Thoughts? I'm kinda suspicious of what he said.... He told me I'll only hear the sound if I have a hydraulic lift at home or jumping it. He said I should try dropping it on the ground super fast.... WTF
Are they covering their asses so that just in case something happens in the future they can point to the aftermarket suspension and just blame that? Bet ya they documented it to void any future warranty claims. Could be an internal policy they have when they find aftermarket bits.

OP
OP
integraboi

integraboi

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are they covering their asses so that just in case something happens in the future they can point to the aftermarket suspension and just blame that? Bet ya they documented it to void any future warranty claims. Could be an internal policy they have when they find aftermarket bits.
That's actually exactly what I was thinking.... Dealerships are so slimy dude, I know cause I worked at one.

I actually think the only reason they brought it up was because I told them...

The backstory is their factory Honda scissor jack fell on me and while I was in there getting my oil changed I asked if I could have it replaced. The guy was like well it didn't come like that and why did you have your car on the jack anyways? I told him the reason I had it on the jack was because I was installing some aftermarket suspension and he looked at me crazy..

OP
OP
integraboi

integraboi

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I'm gonna revisit this real quick for some reassurance...

I was getting my new rims mounted and stuff today and when the guy lowered the fronts back down I did hear a pretty decently loud noise. Still drives like a dream, still doesn't make sounds when I'm going over bumps. I have no idea... Kinda weird how I didn't hear this sound when I was trying to replicate it.