Honda surveying bringing wireless carplay to older models

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Accord has a newer infotainment system, not sure if the older style in the Civic/CRV can support wireless whereas it's an option on new model Accords from the same generation.

Would be cool if they can include it though, if it's not that much money I'd consider it.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hell yeah! I hope they did this. I’d even be willing to pay the 50 bucks, who would care. Wireless CarPlay is needed. My CarPlay trips out every couple of months with the usb cable. Have even taken it to Honda and they’ve changed a component that they claimed was “loose,” under warranty but still have the same issues with it. Hopefully they pull the trigger on this!

OP
OP
ElementalHonda

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
The Accord has a newer infotainment system, not sure if the older style in the Civic/CRV can support wireless whereas it's an option on new model Accords from the same generation.

Would be cool if they can include it though, if it's not that much money I'd consider it.
I'd assume it would be supported if they felt like engineering it. I think the only hardware requirements are WiFi and Bluetooth, and our head unit has both.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I might be tempted to go for this, though I’d be almost immediately on-board (depending on the price) if they offered to retrofit/enhance Keyless Entry via the Apple Watch. ???

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Hell yeah! I hope they did this. I’d even be willing to pay the 50 bucks, who would care. Wireless CarPlay is needed. My CarPlay trips out every couple of months with the usb cable. Have even taken it to Honda and they’ve changed a component that they claimed was “loose,” under warranty but still have the same issues with it. Hopefully they pull the trigger on this!
Mine trips out fairly frequently, with the phone acting like it has an unapproved/substandard accessary or cable plugged into it. I'll restart the phone without unplugging it, and CarPlay will connect when the phone boots back up. Sometimes unplugging the cable and reinserting it works, but a phone restart always works. The one thing I haven't tried is rebooting the head unit using the power/volume knob. I'll try that first the next time it happens.

It also doesn't matter if I plug the phone in before starting the car, or after the head unit boots.

It's almost impossible to tell if it's a phone or head unit issue.

Badigadi

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'd assume it would be supported if they felt like engineering it. I think the only hardware requirements are WiFi and Bluetooth, and our head unit has both.
The problem is that at least Android Auto requires Wi-Fi 5, our car doesn't have that to my knowledge, don't really know what are the requirements for Carplay so it might be doable if Carplay doesn't require wifi 5

Also, there are already wireless Carplay dongles (not android auto) so it should not be an issue at least for people with iPhones

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Mine trips out fairly frequently, with the phone acting like it has an unapproved/substandard accessary or cable plugged into it. I'll restart the phone without unplugging it, and CarPlay will connect when the phone boots back up. Sometimes unplugging the cable and reinserting it works, but a phone restart always works. The one thing I haven't tried is rebooting the head unit using the power/volume knob. I'll try that first the next time it happens.

It also doesn't matter if I plug the phone in before starting the car, or after the head unit boots.

It's almost impossible to tell if it's a phone or head unit issue.
I haven’t tried restarting my phone, but I’ll give that a shot.
What I normally have to do is do a master reset on the head unit and it will fix the issue, but it’s annoying having to do all that all the time. Keeping my fingers crossed that Honda is cool enough to do this update for free or cheap!

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
I haven’t tried restarting my phone, but I’ll give that a shot.
What I normally have to do is do a master reset on the head unit and it will fix the issue, but it’s annoying having to do all that all the time. Keeping my fingers crossed that Honda is cool enough to do this update for free or cheap!
This combined with the wireless charger would be awesome!

wilbur_the_goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Coupe Touring, '14 BMW 328i Sport Line
Country flag
I have wireless CarPlay in my '18 BMW. I love it, and I've forgotten to plug my iPhone to my Honda Civic more than once.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have wireless CarPlay in my '18 BMW. I love it, and I've forgotten to plug my iPhone to my Honda Civic more than once.
It would be awesome if we had the same. I’m considering upgrading my stereo next year if this update doesn’t come out. I know we can use bluetooth but Apple car play is so much better.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
My brand new 2021 CTR has major problems with CarPlay, and I think it’s due to the connections. It keeps “loosing the phone” and the screen goes black. It works for radio And other sources, but won’t re-find an iPhone without a reboot. I bought a brand new Apple Lightning cord to ensure that wasn’t the problem, but it didn’t help. I just got a small isolation pad to put in the phone well to see if that prevents the disconnect (vs. an electronic issue).

I’d LOVE it if they updated the system to wireless.

Last edited:

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
My brand new 2021 CTR has major problems with CarPlay, and I think it’s due to the connections. It keeps “loosing the phone” and the screen goes black. It works for radio And other sources, but won’t re-find an iPhone without a reboot. I bought a brand new Apple Lightning cord to ensure that wasn’t the problem, but it didn’t help. I just got a small isolation pad to put in the phone well to see if that prevents the disconnect (vs. an electronic issue).

I’d LOVE it if they updated the system to wireless.
Join the Xgen CarPlay Bug club! That’s exactly what happens to most of us. What’s works best is doing a master reset on the infotainment and then your phone should connect again.
Sponsored