Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
There are already 3 hatch models in the Civic range : the normal,
the sport and the CTR.
If Honda were to produce an SI hatch, that would make 4 which
is too many. So, it would have to remove one, probably the sport
whose price is very close to the SI coupe and sedan. The price of
an SI hatch would probably be 2 to 3 K $ higher.

There was no SI hatch because the hatch bodies were produced
in Swindon in the U.K. and the SI's were assembled mainly in
Aliston, Ontario, Canada.
I am not in Honda's secrets but I doubt that a SI hatch will ever see
the light of the day because Honda want to protect the CTR .
Now that the Swindon factory has closed, the hatch bodies will be
produced here, in North America, probably in the U.S.
One can always hope because hope is life !
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The XSE Corolla Hatch is a fantastic little car considering what Corollas were in the past, but it’s still not at the Si level. A TRD trim would put it there probably, but that’s debatable.

The Si has traditionally only been in sedan and coupe form as of late in the US anyways (8th gen and upwards)
TRD really doesn't add any performance to their cars, most of the time it's just a styling package and at maximum changes suspension/handling characteristics. What you want would be a GRMN setup (not to be confused with GR). The 2018 Toyota Yaris GRMN weighed in at 2500 lbs and got 210 HP out of a supercharged 1.8 L I4 in an FF layout. The 2020 Yaris GRMN weighs in at 2800 lbs and has a 270-275 HP motor out of a turbocharged 1.6 L I3 in an AWD layout. Too bad the US probably won't see the 2020 model and the 2018 models were UK only.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
TRD really doesn't add any performance to their cars, most of the time it's just a styling package and at maximum changes suspension/handling characteristics. What you want would be a GRMN setup (not to be confused with GR). The 2018 Toyota Yaris GRMN weighed in at 2500 lbs and got 210 HP out of a supercharged 1.8 L I4 in an FF layout. The 2020 Yaris GRMN weighs in at 2800 lbs and has a 270-275 HP motor out of a turbocharged 1.6 L I3 in an AWD layout. Too bad the US probably won't see the 2020 model and the 2018 models were UK only.
In North America, I can bet everything I own Toyota is not going to mess with the current Corolla engine. They are going to keep the 2.0L NA engine where it currently is (around 169 hp), maybe boost hp up a little in the next gen

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
I bought a hatch because that’s the only way a Type R comes. I like the hatch just fine, but if the CTR was available as a sedan, I would have bought the sedan instead in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I prefer the SI Sedan over a Hatch, but there is a market for SI Hatch too. Some people want or need a Hatch and here in California the Civic Hatch seems to be popular.

Choices are always good.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I prefer the SI Sedan over a Hatch, but there is a market for SI Hatch too. Some people want or need a Hatch and here in California the Civic Hatch seems to be popular.

Choices are always good.
Same here in Florida the hatchback is popular mostly younger people and the sport hatchback so yeah I could see and SI hatch being a seller

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I like the look of both the sedan and hatch but wanted an Si hatch for its versatility. Regardless the sedan still has plenty of trunk space. Before test driving I really thought i was going to get a GTI but after driving both I liked the Si more for its driving dynamics.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
For those wondering: the cost Delta between an L15B7 and a K20C1 is around $6,000. You'd also have to use the trans from the Type R, since the Accord trans does not include an LSD.

There is no way that a 2.0T SI would only be $3K more. The economies of scale simply aren't there.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From reading replies on this thread, there are enough
For those wondering: the cost Delta between an L15B7 and a K20C1 is around $6,000. You'd also have to use the trans from the Type R, since the Accord trans does not include an LSD.

There is no way that a 2.0T SI would only be $3K more. The economies of scale simply aren't there.
Exactly, that is why it will never happen. It would move the Si from affordable to out of reach for a lot of buyers. The 1.5L is not going away, it's Honda's most versatile engine going into multiple platforms

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
They could always bump it up to a 1.6 or 1.8. Same size as the B16 & B18. I can't see them putting a 1.5 in the 11thgen. Not if they plan on making it more powerful.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They could always bump it up to a 1.6 or 1.8. Same size as the B16 & B18. I can't see them putting a 1.5 in the 11thgen. Not if they plan on making it more powerful.
It's possible, but I would highly doubt they would bump it to 1.6L or 1.8L. They probably already played around with these displacements. I have not been into Honda's (the Si was my first Honda), but looking at a historical view of the Si (thanks to @gtman ), the bump in engine displacement/power has been extremely modest. Starting in 1984 it was 91 hp, basically a 114 hp bump in 36 years. I doubt Honda is going to change that trend. Affordable fun is what they strived for, and I think that goal will not change. And with further pressure towards meeting fuel efficiency, they just won't be able to achieve that with a bigger displacement engine

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
Personally, I prefer the coupe because I think the line is nice,
the center of gravity is probably a bit lower, the rigidity of the
body is also better.
Besides, I'm alone and I don't need the rear seats.
But everyone has his own tastes, needs and expectations
of a vehicule, and that's why there are 3 kinds of body for
the Civic.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
It's possible, but I would highly doubt they would bump it to 1.6L or 1.8L. They probably already played around with these displacements. I have not been into Honda's (the Si was my first Honda), but looking at a historical view of the Si (thanks to @gtman ), the bump in engine displacement/power has been extremely modest. Starting in 1984 it was 91 hp, basically a 114 hp bump in 36 years. I doubt Honda is going to change that trend. Affordable fun is what they strived for, and I think that goal will not change. And with further pressure towards meeting fuel efficiency, they just won't be able to achieve that with a bigger displacement engine
True. My civic is my first Honda but my brother had a few and still has but I’ve noticed that with the Honda motorcycles example CBX super sport in-line air cooled six cylinder 1100 cc every other motorcycles 1100cc
Was a four cylinder or Harley was Two cylinder ( V twin)
Sponsored