honda series engine

JABFFA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Will someone please tell and explain the different between B series and K series engine?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I couldn't tell you any technical differences but both are the larger double overhead cam inline 4s that Honda has used as their bread and butter for the last 25 years with the K series being the successor the the B series. K series was introduced on the 02' RSX if I'm not mistaken and is still used today as derivatives with the Earthdreams engines.

OP
OP

JABFFA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I hope honda keep going with their muti port system.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Honda is phasing out the K Series in favor of Direct Injection. You'll see it on nearly every new model going forward.
They are not exclusive though; as Newflyer3 states, the K-Series has been developed as part of the Earth Dreams lineup. Both the Accord and TLX K24 engines have direct injection. The CTR K20 turbo has direct injection as well. The K-Series will be in production for quite some time. In fact, thanks to the CTR the K20 has been resurrected from the dead, as it ceased production in 2011 in favor of the K24; so we can thank that performance model for the 2016 Civic LX K20.

That said, it's not quite the same, and the peak of the series (in the U.S.) was the K20Z3 in the 8th gen Civic Si. The K20 was cancelled because it was a high-revving performance engine which is difficult to make meet ever-stringent emissions standards. So the new versions are no longer high-revving - they consist of a more economy-focused naturally aspirated version (Civic LX) and are otherwise turbocharged. Still great engines though, with nice character, capabilities and potential.

The B-Series is a damn great classic Honda engine, and the K-Series is the perfect modern successor. If I recall, it was about 20lbs lighter to begin with, and it has continued to get lighter still with the integrated exhaust manifold, plastic intake manifold, plastic valve cover, etc. And of course it has more advanced technology now. And as we high-milers appreciate, it has the maintenance-free timing chain instead of a belt.

ca$h31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 EP3 Si hatch
The difference is the I- VTEC. Which is the VTC system which is paired with the VTEC. The be series didnt have VTC. Also the K series well most of em have the intake manifold up front and exhaust in the back. The B series had just the opposite. Another think the K series are 87mm. To 89 which makes it equal in diamater. That's pretty much it but the I series are more efficient by making more power obviously along with better gas millage depending on I who is.dr8going and how fast.

ca$h31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 EP3 Si hatch
Don't get me wrong like the guy pirellipzero said the B series motors were the motors what made Honda the top companies today. Their pantent on the VTEC system was the main reason c then when the B series motors came out like the B16A. DOHC VTEC. Still is and has been Is one of the most reliable and powerful motors for the last 25 years now the K series is ruling cause their based off the Bseries. But Honda isnt about speed and power they want to build a cost friendly and long lasting dependable vehicle with good gas millage. And look how.many 1990s to 2000 civics and accords are still alive and strong. Honda is kinda in a rut and they need to get back to what made em great and have them get back to the street tuner dynasty car industry also they need to get moving on the powerful electrical hybrid motors being pared With a DOHC iVTEC motor. which are the hybrid motors and make their technology get us a economically sound car that still rips the corners and smashes from light to light.
Sponsored