Honda Sensing - Stress Eliminator

DarkTimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Civic Hatch MT
It's really not as good as I was hoping. My commute involves a winding road in the city, and ACC picks up cars in the other lanes constantly and puts the brakes on.

I find lanewatch also really disappointing. The scariest thing about it is that on a straight road in the country, it will show solid lines as I'm traveling straight. If the road starts to curve a little bit though, it will still show solid lines but drift right over the line and start to go to the shoulder.
If the OP finds my questions too off topic, please let me know. I am glad the sensing helps with your commute and thank you for sharing.

I am eyeing the '17 Sport Touring Hatch which comes with Sensing. Perhaps the '17 Sensing may have some updates from the '16 model year. I am buying the Sport Touring for reasons other than the Sensing, therefore, it isn't an option for me to go to a lower trim.

I live in Colorado Springs where the roads follow the bluffs...curvy roads. When I first arrived, I noticed a high number of cars with side swipes. I frequently see cars drifting over the white lines on these roads. Eric29's information makes it clear that Sensing is a liability for driving in town on these curvy roads.

I hope those using Sensing on their commute may be able to answer these questions:
  1. I occasionally have to do wildlife and road debris avoidance. Will the sensing be a liability? Can it handle these unexpected events?
  2. While going through a construction zone, the detour often involves crossing the yellow line to follow the cones. Does sensing recognize a construction detour path?
  3. What happens when it snows and the road striping is not visible?
  4. Is it problematic in rain?
Sponsored

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Yes. LKAS picks up right lane markers, indicates that they were picked up, and allows the car to wander over them sometimes. I think that's dangerous.

The previous poster said that the system shouldn't be relied upon. One can always say for individual systems that they not intended to be relied upon. But the reality is that it's on the car for a reason. It is on the car because people are supposed to use it, but not solely rely upon it, and be careful, just like other things on the car, like brakes of mirrors.

Honda sells it for an extra $1000 as a safety feature. It sometimes works. It's very buggy. People should know that.

Are you referring to lane keep assist system (LKAS)? That shows when it's "locked on" with two parallel solid dashed lines on the dash. When it can't detect the lanes they no longer show as solid, only as hollow rectangle lines.

The lane watch system is the camera on the right side of the mirror. That can be activated with the right turn signal or by pressing the button at the end of the turn signal stalk.

In the manual it says not to use it in heavy traffic or traffic with a lot of stop and go. I noticed that it's not as good as some other systems in stop and go traffic. But a lot has to do with learning how to use the system.
Often times I assist the system by hitting the gas and accelerating. Otherwise it takes too long to catch up to the car in front. Once I remove my foot from the gas, ACC will resume automatically.

I find the system far from disappointing but your results may vary. On highway driving it's very useful. And it can be in stop and go traffic too, depending on the situation.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
Yes. LKAS picks up right lane markers, indicates that they were picked up, and allows the car to wander over them sometimes. I think that's dangerous.
It's dangerous but that's a limitation of the system for now. That's why I use either the left lane or a middle lane.

The previous poster said that the system shouldn't be relied upon. One can always say for individual systems that they not intended to be relied upon. But the reality is that it's on the car for a reason. It is on the car because people are supposed to use it, but not solely rely upon it, and be careful, just like other things on the car, like brakes of mirrors.

Honda sells it for an extra $1000 as a safety feature. It sometimes works. It's very buggy. People should know that.
It doesn't sometimes work for me. If that were the case I would be scared to use it.

It works when there are good conditions for the system. Clear lane markings, straight or slightly curved roads, a car/truck that is ahead of you not changing speeds drastically. In these conditions it works well.
It has its limitations, of course. 1000 for all these features is a bargain. And I think down the road all cars will come with the features. Look at the Acura MDX. Acura sensing is standard across the trims now.
And by the way, many already know this but it should be mentioned that traditional cruise control can be selected instead of ACC. I've never wanted to use it, though.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
If the OP finds my questions too off topic, please let me know. I am glad the sensing helps with your commute and thank you for sharing.

I am eyeing the '17 Sport Touring Hatch which comes with Sensing. Perhaps the '17 Sensing may have some updates from the '16 model year. I am buying the Sport Touring for reasons other than the Sensing, therefore, it isn't an option for me to go to a lower trim.

I live in Colorado Springs where the roads follow the bluffs...curvy roads. When I first arrived, I noticed a high number of cars with side swipes. I frequently see cars drifting over the white lines on these roads. Eric29's information makes it clear that Sensing is a liability for driving in town on these curvy roads.

I hope those using Sensing on their commute may be able to answer these questions:
  1. I occasionally have to do wildlife and road debris avoidance. Will the sensing be a liability? Can it handle these unexpected events?
  2. While going through a construction zone, the detour often involves crossing the yellow line to follow the cones. Does sensing recognize a construction detour path?
  3. What happens when it snows and the road striping is not visible?
  4. Is it problematic in rain?
1.) Always remain alert. Just as if you did not have sensing. I would like to hear about incidences where it was a liability. Of course I don't want it to go haywire. But my insurance isn't higher due to sensing :p

2.) Interesting that you ask about this. Because just last week I had this happen. It actually did not recognize the construction zone markings correctly so it started beeping at me when I was trying to exit. It even shook the steering gave me some resistance. You can overpower it. Also, if I'm not mistaken, if you use your turn signal it overrides the system and lets you change lanes without it interfering. You can also turn off RDM (road departure mitigation) with that button on the left side of the steering wheel with the green light (green is on, of course). It won't alert you about lanes or any markings if you press that button to turn it off.

3.) This I have yet to test. But your camera (top of windshield) should have an unobstructed view. And the black plastic sensor cover on the bottom left of the front bumper should also be cleared. Those are the two sensors the car needs to rely on.

4.) LKAS is basically disabled in rain because it doesn't turn on if the windshield wipers are also on. I try to not use the ACC in heavy rain.

OP
OP

Cincysports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
On #3 - if LKAS can't discern road markers it won't activate. I probably would always deactivate Sensing in any heavy weather situations.

That being said, my friend has the Accord Touring coupe and he and I were on a road trip and had Sensing on during a pretty brutal rainstorm on the highway. I was dubious it would function but it did just fine.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
LKAS works ok 70% of the time, which is the same as not having it. If you have to be 100% alert for the 30% of the time it fails, you might as well steer yourself.

OP
OP

Cincysports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
LKAS works ok 70% of the time, which is the same as not having it. If you have to be 100% alert for the 30% of the time it fails, you might as well steer yourself.
Works 70 percent of the time where?

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Every 7 seconds it tries to kill you for 3 seconds...

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
LKAS means Lane Keeping ASSIST System. It's designed to assist. The driver must still stear 100% of the time.

The system is not meant to drive the car autonomously. It's not meant to completely release the steering wheel. It's meant to provide some minor steering force in order to reduce long drive fatigue.

It can also be a guardian angel like it was for a member of these forums who got saved from leaving the road while he lost contiousness from exhaustion. It kept the car on the road and alerted the driver to grab the steering wheel back which woke him up.

Mikedo777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Hi All-

Just bought a Touring sedan this week and felt compelled to share my thoughts. These forums were amazing for general research and pricing strategy on the buying process. But even if I hadn't got a phenomenal deal I would still be sooo pleased with this car.

I have a 60 mile round trip work commute. About 45 of that is highway driving in varying degrees of congested traffic. Long story short it was an annoying and stressful drive.

Honda Sensing has changed all of that. I turn it on, dip into the second from right lane, set it at an appreciable speed relative to traffic, and coast.

Traffic slow down? No problem. Let Sensing handle it. Traffic jam? Just press the RES button when it's time to move again.

Most of the time I'm listening to a podcast with my hand lightly on the steering wheel while LKAS does the heavy lifting.

It's early tech but I think Sensing is a sign of great things to come and it's looking like a bright future!

PS - I love actual, fun, hands-on driving. And the Civic does this remarkably well too.

Stress eliminator buddy!

I call it my "Road Rage Mitigation System".

biker750guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
I call it my "Road Rage Mitigation System".
One more excuse to be lulled into a false sense of security where you kill yourself or worse, some innocent victim. When I get into a vehicle I will be driving or especially riding; I take a moment to clear my mind of extraneous thoughts not connected to the task at hand which is likely the most important thing I will be doing that day; driving/riding the vehicle. Ralph Nader is calculated to have saved 3.5 million people's lives since "unsafe at any speed" and his and Public Citizen's efforts to force the building of safe vehicles on the manufacturers which they and most consumers had no desire to do. When I was young, ~55,000 lives were lost in MV accidents annually and now it's 35,000. I think Bin Laden got 3,000. The roads are somewhat better but the drivers, if anything are significantly worse and more distracted and less living in the moment and there are a lot more of them driving a lot more kilometers. Modern cars are truly amazing, modern drivers, not so much. I love to drive and more to ride but I will be much safer when cars are controlled by competent machines rather than semi present drivers. With all due respect, if your commute is making you angry, you need to consult a psychologist and learn to deal with it or take public transport. "Please don't let your inattention or incapacity kill or maim me."

OP
OP

Cincysports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
What in the world are you talking about bikerguy, LOL. There are some funny people on this forum

biker750guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
On #3 - if LKAS can't discern road markers it won't activate. I probably would always deactivate Sensing in any heavy weather situations.

That being said, my friend has the Accord Touring coupe and he and I were on a road trip and had Sensing on during a pretty brutal rainstorm on the highway. I was dubious it would function but it did just fine.
Cruise control should NEVER be used in less than optimum visibility and traction conditions. This is basic stuff. Yes, driving is serious stuff, fun but serious. Your life and the lives of others is literally in your hands; it's not a video game.

stewall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Hi All-

Just bought a Touring sedan this week and felt compelled to share my thoughts.
Honda Sensing has changed all of that.

PS - I love actual, fun, hands-on driving. And the Civic does this remarkably well too.
I have the EX and I feel just like you. Honda Sensing is great.
Sponsored