wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
2018 Fit, 2016 Miata. Cars with nannies cost a lot more to repair (windshield, bumper, sensors, etc...) than cars without. It's technically safer with these sensors but insurance looks at it differently (repair costs).
you have a fit and a ctr? Same here 2018 Fit sensing has higher insurance because the sensor and parts cost more to replace. The winshield alone is $280 vs $1200 to replace if equipped with sensing.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Sensing on the 2020 CTR 0E995B53-9BA6-41AD-9723-0462692B6B25
Sponsored

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Before the CTR I drove 2018 Honda Accord Touring and glad that I bought 2019 CTR. I hated the Honda Sensing for several reasons. The first one when parked at a light it will go off even thou the cars around you are not close. Second when you are driving and forget to signal, it will once in a while just automatically brake on you ( this issue arised both highway and local streets). Just my .02

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Don't want to be disagreeable, but this would be a prime reason for me NOT to buy the 2020 if so equipped. I'm old and I feel that all the nannies(such as lane change alert, adaptive cruise, automatic braking and blind spot warning) are making drivers less attentive.
Facts don't care about your feelings. Look up the data on cars with and without driver assistance features. The proven real world benefits the nannies make are undeniable.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
Facts don't care about your feelings. Look up the data on cars with and without driver assistance features. The proven real world benefits the nannies make are undeniable.
IMO all the nannies on a car like the ctr devalues the performance especially if intrusive. And I find it annoying AF especially Honda’s version. Lame.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
So with this Honda Sensing feature, “Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) incorporating Lane Departure Warning (LDW)”...

...does the steering wheel get small inputs from the ecu if it senses you leaving your lane?

In my 2019 Toyota Sienna with whatever they have similar, Safety Sense, even on a straight road the steering wheel would get small inputs which was unnerving, and this was while I was in my lane, not like I was drifting to the next lane. Turned that off right away.

I feel Honda Sensing is a nice feature that they have added and from what others have said you can turn it off. I don’t know if you have to turn it off every time you start the car? The precollision seems nice to have but a guy at work says his brakes kick on falsely and he isn’t tailgating.

I dunno. It’s a nice feature to have and I’m not saying I’m some kind of great driver that would never need it but just the fact of electronics sometimes not working I kinda like my cars a little simpler. I can’t even get my AppleCarPlay music list to load as is sometimes. So the less stuff in the car to break for me is better.

Last edited:

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
So with this Honda Sensing feature, “Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) incorporating Lane Departure Warning (LDW)”...

...does the steering wheel get small inputs from the ecu if it senses you leaving your lane?

In my 2019 Toyota Sienna with whatever they have similar, Safety Sense, even on a straight road the steering wheel would get small inputs which was unnerving, and this was while I was in my lane, not like I was drifting to the next lane. Turned that off right away.

I feel Honda Sensing is a nice feature that they have added and from what others have said you can turn it off. I don’t know if you have to turn it off every time you start the car? The precollision seems nice to have but a guy at work says his brakes kick on falsely and he isn’t tailgating.

I dunno. It’s a nice feature to have and I’m not saying I’m some kind of great driver that would never need it but just the fact of electronics sometimes not working I kinda like my cars a little simpler. I can’t even get my AppleCarPlay music list to load as is sometimes. So the less stuff in the car to break for me is better.
Lame assist

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I'm sure you are right. IMHO too many people today want everything done for them, including paying attention for them while driving so they can play with the phone, read, nap, etc... This is probably why the nannies are effective in preventing accidents. The technology/industry is not there yet. Just ask the Apple engineer who was driving his Tesla while playing a video game. Oh never mind the nannies didn't save his life...Extreme example...true and not the type of nannies being questioned, but when driving you have to pay attention. If one is going to drive distracted or nap a little while driving then the nannies are a good thing. Maybe I'm just old, but I trust myself more than technology to keep me safe while driving. I like that the Type R it only tells me to release the parking brake or fasten my seat belt and let's me do the driving. To each their own...

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
As someone who daily drives their CTR, I could appreciate having honda sensing, as long as its easy to turn them off. Would be nice if they all turned off when you put it in R+ mode. But i suspect its not that easy.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Sensing is easy to disable. I have Lane Keep Assist turned off and it remains off after restarting. Collision mitigation braking can be disabled by pressing the button, but it reactivates on the next startup.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not to belabor this but was just reading the Consumer Reports(who btw support all the nannies) annual auto issue and they shared a statistic that "since 2018 vehicles with automatic emergency braking(AEB) have been involved in 53% fewer rear-end collisions than those without it, according to the DOT." While that seems impressive I question how that is measured and why that maybe true. If true there are numerous factors that enter into the reported number. What causes a rear-end collision typically? Driving to fast, too close and/or not paying attention would be a large factor to me. That is crappy drivers. I understand there can be extenuating circumstances, but my guess is that is a small minority of the incidents. People drive too fast-too close these days as everyone is in a freaking hurry and too many trying to multi-task while driving. I don't live in a large metropolitan area but have driven in several such areas and I am guilty of slowing down when someone gets on my bumper. I'm not talking about brake-checking just slowing down so those in a big-ass hurry can go around. Life is too short to not enjoy it. If one is in a hurry one should have left earlier/allowed more time to get there. Like I said above "old"...Now, get off my lawn!:)

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
All that tells me is that people are crap drivers and should be further educated to be better ones. Not given automated / flawed systems so they can check out pictures of mashed potatoes while going down the highway at 90 on facebook.

All these systems do is encourage sloppy driving and distracted approaches to the most dangerous activity we do on the daily.

I'm a BETTER driver because I don't have that nanny stuff on anything. I have a perfect driving record and am constantly dodging morons WHILE THEIR SENSORS AND LIGHTS all merily flash away and probably vibrate their steering wheels too.

Matters nothing - they still will come into your lane / try and hit you

People are the problem and this minimal intrusive tech is NOT the solution.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
All that tells me is that people are crap drivers and should be further educated to be better ones. Not given automated / flawed systems so they can check out pictures of mashed potatoes while going down the highway at 90 on facebook.

All these systems do is encourage sloppy driving and distracted approaches to the most dangerous activity we do on the daily.

I'm a BETTER driver because I don't have that nanny stuff on anything. I have a perfect driving record and am constantly dodging morons WHILE THEIR SENSORS AND LIGHTS all merily flash away and probably vibrate their steering wheels too.

We've tried the "further educating drivers" approach for 100 years or so. Maybe we can try a different approach for a while.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

That's what I've been trying to say! Good point on training. Other countries are way more aggressive on training/testing than we are. There was an article in the Porsche club magazine a couple of months back that mentioned this fact. They mentioned Germany driving to East coast USA driving. Stark differences.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
We've tried the "further educating drivers" approach for 100 years or so. Maybe we can try a different approach for a while.
The ONLY solution which will never happen anytime soon is this -

Zero non autonomous cars - all cars and other vehicles controlled by computers 100% of the time. Then you would have the solution - but putting flawed tech into cars that are supposed to be able to react to whatever, properly? Give me a break

I had a time when I was exiting a highway at 70mph onto a tollway. There was some moron BACKING UP around a basically blind curve that I encountered going 70mph. The ONLY logical thing I could do was scrub a bit of speed and get around them.

If I had some nanny assists or god forbid a Tesla with full autopilot on it would have either locked the brakes or done something else it 'thought was right' and put me in further danger due to the vehicles behind me that were also coming up on this incident.

With a full grid and all vehicles controlled as one, that scenario above would never happen - but until that time - you can take your assists / emergency stopping because some sensor thought it needed to - and get out of my way - the guy WATCHING THE ROAD and driving properly.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Not having those systems makes you a better driver? That's like saying that using tires with less grip or buying cars without airbags makes you a better driver.
Sponsored