Honda sensing details

blitz68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a 2016 civic with sensing and I was hoping you could answer some questions for me since I've read some posts that seem to contradict each other.

Will the collision mitigation braking system (CMBS) attempt to bring the car to a complete stop at both high and low speeds? I've read that CMBS only works above 40 km/h but the first video linked below seems to contradict that (although its a 2015 CRV). The second video linked below shows that only the BRAKE warning appeared on the 2016 accord. Can anyone say which system is in the 2016 civic (in Canada)?

How does ACC react when the driver of the car with honda sensing changes lanes? Is it fully reset/disabled? Or will it bring me up to the max speed stated?

Also does the civic stay stopped if the car ahead comes to a complete stop?

Finally if anyone has tested both honda sensing and subaru eyesight I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. Assuming everything works ideally, CMBS will bring you to a full stop at city speeds, and mitigate the severity of the crash at higher speeds.
2. If the lane clears, ACC will bring you back up to your set speed, based on the distance set to the car in front of you.
3. It'll come to a complete stop and stay stopped until you either hit the Resume button or tap the accelerator.
4. Haven't tried EyeSight. Both systems were rated equally by the IIHS. Subjectively, EyeSight may be better, Subaru's revised it a few times over the years, and now has automatic reverse braking too. Honda Sensing can use some refinement.

distinktif

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T
Country flag
So I will tell you my experience with Sensing on my EX-T having had the car for a month. I've driven my car about 4200 kilometers already. (I drive between Chicago and Toronto several times a year).

CBMS:
While I have not had the balls to trust the system deliberately, I can tell you that in city driving it is a bit overly sensitive. This is dependent on a few things such as road conditions, weather conditions and your personal settings of the system itself. I have noticed on sunny days when the cars ahead cast shadows on the road, the CBMS activates a bit too early. My uneducated guess is the system is confused by shadows and calculates the distance needed to stop the car based on the speed I'm travelling. I had the audible and visual "BRAKE" warnings driving below 10 km/h being between 1-2 meters away from the car ahead and only visual "BRAKE" warnings at 50km/h and 5-10 meters away from the car ahead. On rainy days, I sometimes don't even get as much as a peep out of the system. You can select between three distance modes in the vehicle settings menu that adjusts the overall sensitivity of the system. I have chosen to leave it on the highest or most sensitive setting. It's easy to get distracted on Chicago and Toronto roads, so I best play it safe. That being said, yes, I have experienced the system taking over if it felt I was not stopping quick enough.

ACC:
If you decide to change lanes on the highway with ACC engaged with or without LKAS activated (Lane markers are not filled in on your display screen), you will get an audible warning, a visual "Lane Departure" warning and a vibration in the steering wheel as the car steers you back onto the straight and narrow. If you activate your turn signal, it does recognize this input and allow you to take control of the lane change. If your LKAS (solid lane markers on your display screen) is activated in this sort of "semi-autonomous" driving state, it will actually steer the car for short distances before an audible and visual warning appears on the screen. "Steering Required" once you give some sort of input into the steering wheel, the system resumes and the cycle repeats. On my last road trip through Michigan, those long straights activated this warning inadvertently. As Billy4204 stated, the system after a complete stop resumes once you hit the accelerator or hit the resume button the wheel.

Brake Hold:
Brake Hold is activated automatically with ACC. Yes, it does bring the car to a complete stop if the car ahead is stopped. You can select between 4 preset distances between you and the car ahead that it will maintain at all times. The system takes control of braking and acceleration. The brake hold function activates the parking brake to keep the car at a stop until you hit the gas pedal again. You can also activate the brake hold function independently from the ACC system for instances like rush hour traffic, toll booths, fast food drive-thrus etc.

Hope my 2 cents helps you out. Again this is just my from experience, not necessarily the said-all-be-all.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
So on my lx hatchback with sensing I get the visual and vibration warnings but no audible alerts. For RDMS or LKAS. Is this for the higher end models the audible sounds? Let me know.

distinktif

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T
Country flag
So on my lx hatchback with sensing I get the visual and vibration warnings but no audible alerts. For RDMS or LKAS. Is this for the higher end models the audible sounds? Let me know.
I get that sometimes. I think it just depends on how urgent the system thinks the inputs should be. I will say, I wish the audible warning was more intrusive. If you are listening to music higher than say 15-16... you will not hear the audible warning. It's very faint.

Last edited:

distinktif

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm sorry, I read your response wrong. For RDMS and LKAS, I only get audible warnings and wheel vibrations too. Unless I get the "Steering Required" warning when the ACC and LKAS is on, then I will get an audible warning after several minutes without input.
Sponsored