jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
How about a 7 sp auto that drops down to the seventh gear highway. If you gun it drops you into a lower gear idk I am making stuff up I just want an auto Si for under 27k
A 6spd manual will always be available. Only reason I mentioned DCT is because of performance, a torque converter automatic will not be the same.
Sponsored

limitedslip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Si coupe, 13 Si coupe, 10 Si Coupe
spoiler alert ! MAYBE !!
2.5T AWD for new Type R ... taking it into mini-GT arena 350 - 400bhp
with Focus RS, Subbie STI and Peugeot 308 - 400 as the target !!
and 2.0T for sure in the Si .. sources close but sketchy!!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
spoiler alert ! MAYBE !!
Dude!!! If you can get a little more about this I think It deserves a separate thread!!

nade shot

Threads
Reaction score
Eh..... not really buying it, a separate engine and completely different drivetrain configuration all for a niche vehicle (Type R). Unless they plan for this to trickle down to the Si which I dont see happening I highly doubt this is accurate. The costs that would go into developing AWD is too prohibitive IMO.

Where did you get this info if you don't mind answering.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I honestly thought they were going to take type r to the next level. If they can crank a 2.0 to 350 hp I think they will but at that point awd is a must

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
spoiler alert ! MAYBE !!
Yeah..... No. lol.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
A 6spd manual will always be available. Only reason I mentioned DCT is because of performance, a torque converter automatic will not be the same.
High performance torque converter autos are getting pretty close in terms of performance. The ZF 8 speed is one for example.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
The writing is all over the wall, the floors, and even the mirrors. All we have to do now is wait for Honda to make it official.
Great analysis. I certainly hope it's correct. However, there's one wildcard now that might make the past irrelevant-- the new draconian CAFE regs of 54.5 mpg (by 2024) and first-ever CO2 restrictions imposed by Obama in 2011. It's changing the entire auto industry as we speak. It's why V6s are disappearing and being replaced with smaller turbos. It's why we keep seeing more hybrids and EVs, regardless whether there is real consumer demand for them or if they are practical, affordable replacements for pure gasoline vehicles.

So the question is, will Honda be able to meet the latest 2016 tier CAFE/CO2 regs and still put the 2.0t in the new Si? I believe that will be the final deciding factor.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
High performance torque converter autos are getting pretty close in terms of performance. The ZF 8 speed is one for example.
That one, in particular, shifts way faster than any human I know.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Great analysis. I certainly hope it's correct. However, there's one wildcard now that might make the past irrelevant-- the new draconian CAFE regs of 54.5 mpg (by 2024) and first-ever CO2 restrictions imposed by Obama in 2011. It's changing the entire auto industry as we speak. It's why V6s are disappearing and being replaced with smaller turbos. It's why we keep seeing more hybrids and EVs, regardless whether there is real consumer demand for them or if they are practical, affordable replacements for pure gasoline vehicles.

So the question is, will Honda be able to meet the latest 2016 tier CAFE/CO2 regs and still put the 2.0t in the new Si? I believe that will be the final deciding factor.
I addressed that in another thread regarding their reluctance to make the Si mass produced. It currently accounts for less than 2% of Civic sales last I checked. And I expect the 2.0 will exceed the GTI's benchmark of 34 mpgs. Well within the spectrum IMHO.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Eh..... not really buying it, a separate engine and completely different drivetrain configuration all for a niche vehicle (Type R). Unless they plan for this to trickle down to the Si which I dont see happening I highly doubt this is accurate. The costs that would go into developing AWD is too prohibitive IMO.

Where did you get this info if you don't mind answering.
I tend to agree with you...but Ford did it for the RS...

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is that the one in the Audi A8/BMW7 series/Mercedes S class?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

It might be a situation of 'lets do it now while we still can' and try to get it in before the new regs make it that much more challenging.

Not to deviate the topic too far form the 2.0T, I think the future for Honda as well as others is going to look a lot like it trickled down from the upcoming NSX as far as some wheels having electric-only propulsion. It's the easiest way for a car to get through the EPA driving portion of the test with little to no CO2 emisison. I don't think I'm saying anything most of us already know...
Sponsored