hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
According to this recent interview with Honda, the 2.0L turbo will start mass production in the US during March. That would suggest the SI is coming this spring.

http://wardsauto.com/engines/honda-powertrain-overhaul-targets-weight-emissions?page=1

WardsAuto: Honda introduced the 1.5L unit in 2015. So far, on which models?

Ohtsu: On the Step Wagon in April and Jade RS in May, both in Japan. We adopted the 2.0L turbo on the Civic Type R in October, also in Japan, and will begin mass production of the engine next March in the U.S. for our Civic lineup. We are also readying the 1.5L unit for the China market. The 1.0L engine is still under development.
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It does say for the Civic lineup so what could it be other than the SI or the Type R?
Good point. I overlooked that "for our Civic lineup" part for sure. But engine mass production in March doesn't seem consistent with most other reports for the Si, or for filling out the Civic lineup in general, does it? The Coupe will barely be out then. Something doesn't add up...

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unless "next March" is not the same as "this spring" by a year.

drakenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Matrix XRS
This is good news as the signs are pointing toward a turbo 2.0L for the Si. Either that or the Type R is coming around the same time(which I seriously doubt).

This also leads me believe that the Si won't be on sale until a month or so after they kick start production for the motor in march. So it's looking like the unveiling for the Si may actually be in march after all and on sale by spring or early summer.

Edit: I just saw the speculation report a moment ago about the Si not arriving until fall as a 2017 YM.

I hope that won't be the case as it seems like an awfully long wait from now. Not to mention the new civic has been on sale since last month, so does that mean the Si will launch roughly 9 months after the initial launch of the civic?

Everything is still speculation at this point though, so we'll need to await official word for any solid bit of news.

Last edited:

nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Civic, Passat
At this point I think it's beyond a doubt that the Si will be 2.0T
Now the only question is WHEN it'll actually start production and get to dealers, and that speculation varies from late Spring to early Fall.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
At this point I think it's beyond a doubt that the Si will be 2.0T
Now the only question is WHEN it'll actually start production and get to dealers, and that speculation varies from late Spring to early Fall.
Agreed, 2.0T looks like a lock :thumbsup:

But the date to me seems much less like speculation now that the chief technology officer at Honda R&D said that the engine is coming to the Civic in March. Seems like we should expect the Si to launch Spring 2016. :bow:

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Three cvts it states in that article. Far stretch what if Si comes with a bad ass modified cvt that shoots that thing like a rocket? I would be open to that ha. Rather non cvt but if they got it right i could see CVTs being the best choice someday. Plus if driven normal you could get great gas mileage. I am probably only one open to idea ha

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Three cvts it states in that article. Far stretch what if Si comes with a bad ass modified cvt that shoots that thing like a rocket? I would be open to that ha. Rather non cvt but if they got it right i could see CVTs being the best choice someday. Plus if driven normal you could get great gas mileage. I am probably only one open to idea ha
I don't know how much better it can get - From what I can tell, the UK fuel economy numbers translate to about 22city 36hwy. I'll take those numbers!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Or something else is going to get the 2.0L-T?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Accord gets it in some form. Or the ILX. It would be great to spread out that development cost - and down the road, it will mean plentiful swaps available!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anyone know how long after they start assembling engines do they start building the cars to put them in? I would have to 'guess' it will take a few weeks/months of Engine assembly to build up enough buffer stock for the vehicle assembly - especially if these 2.0T's are going to be sent to UK...

Or did I assume something I shouldn't - will Final Assembly point for TypeR be UK or will they ship half-done hatches here for assembly? Do we know?

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag