17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda R&D officer says 2.0L turbo VTEC launches next March for U.S.! upload_2015-12-23_11-37-33

I realize the mpg numbers don't make sense...
so if we do the next best thing and convert the l/100km to mpg, we get basically 25 city 38hwy! Not sure if they use the same kind of drive cycle that we use to achieve these numbers...
Sponsored

10GCivicSi_Vs_5GPrelude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Honda Prelude
Does anyone know how long after they start assembling engines do they start building the cars to put them in? I would have to 'guess' it will take a few weeks/months of Engine assembly to build up enough buffer stock for the vehicle assembly - especially if these 2.0T's are going to be sent to UK...

Or did I assume something I shouldn't - will Final Assembly point for TypeR be UK or will they ship half-done hatches here for assembly? Do we know?
I was going to ask the same thing!... If there is indeed some number of weeks of lead time that is normal for engine production vs. the rest of the car, that would make sense and be consistent with the Si being made available in the second quarter of 2016.
I'm hoping someone who works at Honda or is familiar with these things will comment!

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
upload_2015-12-23_11-37-33.png

I realize the mpg numbers don't make sense...
so if we do the next best thing and convert the l/100km to mpg, we get basically 25 city 38hwy! Not sure if they use the same kind of drive cycle that we use to achieve these numbers...
Could be a different testing cycle, but remember the difference between US and Imperial MPG. On our Canadian cars, the fuel economy stickers give us l/100kms and UK MPG. It says on my sticker that my 2014 Civic is capable of '56 MPG' on the highway which maybe true in terms of the UK MPG, but I know it's nonsense with US MPG.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
Unless "next March" is not the same as "this spring" by a year.
I'm wondering the same thing as well. Does he mean "next March" as in Model Year, i.e., March 2017? Car builders often speak in Model Year terms, not calendar year.

Wouldn't most people refer to the upcoming month as "this March" instead of "next March." I know I would.

Ugh. All this parsing of words and speculation is killing me. Why the hell cant Honda just give us a straight answer by now? A car purchase is the 2nd highest financial decision for most people. Many of us need to know so we can plan accordingly.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
The far range of
"Release: Late Fall 2016 - Early Spring 2017"
would be entirely consistent with "next March" not being the same year as "this spring".

OP
OP

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Honda referred to the NSX engine as coming next year, which we know is coming in spring 2016. I believe next March is referring to 2016 calendar year as well.

Ohtsu: We will add a 3.5L turbo for the (Acura) NSX hybrid next year. The engine will be produced at our Anna, OH, powertrain plant.

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Or something else is going to get the 2.0L-T?
Anything could be possible!

Honda may want to expand the turbo lineup to other vehicles, so this could possibly go in the Accord, CR-V, etc., sometime in the future!

The CR-V is getting an update for next model year (2017)

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I cant wait to test drive a new 2.0T I wish it had an optional manual 6speed.. ♡♡♡♡♡

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
Will this be an iteration of the current ED 2.0T used in the 2016 CTR, or a completely new design? The former would make more sense, and if that's the case I'm curious to see exactly what differences there are between the two.

Vtak Groceries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic Si HFP, 2017 Golf R
WardsAuto: What plans do you have for your 2.4L naturally aspirated engine?

Ohtsu: Where possible, we hope to replace it with the downsized 1.5L unit.
Quoted from article... 1.5T Civic Si is still possible. Lets hope for the 2.0T. I think we will be getting 2.0T judging from the article headline however.

Also this is another possible indicator for 2.0T Si

Ohtsu: On the Step Wagon in April and Jade RS in May, both in Japan. We adopted the 2.0L turbo on the Civic Type R in October, also in Japan, and will begin mass production of the engine next March in the U.S. for our Civic lineup
So they will start making 2.0T engines for the US Civic market starting in March 2016... How does this line up for our current Civic Si timeline?

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
"next March" and "March 2016" may not refer to the same March. The Si speculation feature quotes HondaProJason speculating on a "Late fall 2016 to early spring 2017" release of the Si. March 2017 start of production would align exactly with early spring 2017 release of the Si.

But this has all been discussed already in this thread. Start over from the top.

nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Civic, Passat
The engine is definitely being produced March 2016 and not March 2017.

With five new engines already on the market and two to come in 2016
...Ohtsu: We have three new gasoline engines – 1.0L, 1.5L and 2.0L – which are being adapted to regional needs in North America, Europe and China, all markets where emissions regulations are becoming increasingly stringent.
The 1.5 is already out, leaving just the 1.0 and 2.0 to be produced in 2016.

That being the case, a spring 2017 launch would make absolutely no sense unless they plan on sitting on these engines for months. My guess is a fall release making it a 2017 model year just like they did the current civic.
Sponsored