Nismo14

First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch Sport Touring; 14 370Z Nismo
Country flag
It has been 10 years since buying a Honda. Please educate me....trying to snag a 17 sport touring hatch 27,175. Dealer is charging $1796 for the Honda Protection plan....this feels so much like a scam. Trunk tray, wheel locks, "nitrogen" in tires whatever and tints. Is there no way around this charge other than passing on the car? I will walk away, no rush to buy but seriously? Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hunterbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan
I would certainly walk away if it were me but I'm not generally dead set on a specific car. It's a pretty major ripoff, sounds like a way to sell a car at higher than list price.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sport Touring hatches are not hard to come by. I'd find the "what did you pay for your hatchback" thread and scroll through there to compare your deal amongst others.

Hondanight

First Name
Michael Wertz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
It has been 10 years since buying a Honda. Please educate me....trying to snag a 17 sport touring hatch 27,175. Dealer is charging $1796 for the Honda Protection plan....this feels so much like a scam. Trunk tray, wheel locks, "nitrogen" in tires whatever and tints. Is there no way around this charge other than passing on the car? I will walk away, no rush to buy but seriously? Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Sounds standard, pretty much what my dealer puts on every car. Yes all those options/accessories are inflated. I would do your best to haggle some of the accessorie prices down. I agree with comment above sport touring hatches can be hard to find along with the sport 6spd hatch.

I find in my experience if your nice to your salesman and ask instead of tell kinda attitude the sales manager will be more flexible. Don't know if your a return customer but they appreciate that too. Some dealers also have a database and keep track of how much you've spent with them sales and service and that can play a part as well.

OP
OP
Nismo14

Nismo14

First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sport Touring hatches are not hard to come by. I'd find the "what did you pay for your hatchback" thread and scroll through there to compare your deal amongst others.
Did the search before posting amd many deals were earlier i the
Sounds standard, pretty much what my dealer puts on every car. Yes all those options/accessories are inflated. I would do your best to haggle some of the accessorie prices down. I agree with comment above sport touring hatches can be hard to find along with the sport 6spd hatch.

I find in my experience if your nice to your salesman and ask instead of tell kinda attitude the sales manager will be more flexible. Don't know if your a return customer but they appreciate that too. Some dealers also have a database and keep track of how much you've spent with them sales and service and that can play a part as well.
Thanks lots of fees that dont specify anything either. I will keep looking.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Protection Plan Screenshot_20170822-213502

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
lol, I went thru kind of the same scenario. I took the "quote" I got from one dealer and CC'd it to the other 6 honda dealerships surrounding me as well as CC'd the original salesman. Told them all I would purchase from who ever has the best deal. I kept CCing everyones replies to them all until the victor was chosen by them, not by me. I did this all, from the comfort of my own couch where I watched Netflix and trolled people on news sites. It was a great day. Cant wait to do it again. Oh forgot to mention, automatic disqualifier is if they call me, everything had to be done via email. I ended up with my blue coupe touring for just under 25K--and amusing enough, it had to be pulled from a dealership that failed to beat the dealer I bought from.

Hondanight

First Name
Michael Wertz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
$28,300 suggested Msrp on hondas site.
$700 for a PDI!? (Pre delivery Inspection)
HPP is like you said (wheel locks,cargo tray,nitro fill etc... I'm sure its all over inflated.

I would shoot for $28,000 OTD with all that.

Otherwise they need to cut some of that out/down.

Where did they get the $29,175?

Nickog909

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Yeah that's bullshit tell them you'll pass for one that's basic the only thing worth getting is extended warranty and GAP and if you want to go all out like I did on my 2017 Si you can get the Zillon paint and interior protection but all that extra stuff they trying to charge isn't worth it buy it on eBay and tell them to throw in the wheel locks into the due bill before you buy the vehicle I have a 2016 Honda Civic EXL and the 17 Si and I made them give me my wheel locks for the deal

OP
OP
Nismo14

Nismo14

First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks everyone...got them down to $746 for the Honda Protection Plan which I still think is crap and they removed the bogus $699 pre delivery charge. I hate haggling makes me nauseous but I am happy. I pick him up tomorrow. Let the modding begin!!!

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Do you not like nice things or are you slumming it?

Hondanight

First Name
Michael Wertz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Thanks everyone...got them down to $746 for the Honda Protection Plan which I still think is crap and they removed the bogus $699 pre delivery charge. I hate haggling makes me nauseous but I am happy. I pick him up tomorrow. Let the modding begin!!!
Great!!! pretty much the route I would of taken. so what was the final OTD price? (if you don't mind)

OP
OP
Nismo14

Nismo14

First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great!!! pretty much the route I would of taken. so what was the final OTD price? (if you don't mind)
Sure! $30,122.00. Glad I now have an automatic, driving a manual everyday was getting very old!

Thanks for all the input!

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Sure! $30,122.00. Glad I now have an automatic, driving a manual everyday was getting very old!
Congrats. How do you like the CVT? I am interested in your opinions; coming from a manual user.

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congrats. How do you like the CVT? I am interested in your opinions; coming from a manual user.
I drove a 6-Speed Type S Acura RSX for about 10 years. I sold it and bought a Coupe Touring. I was initially hesitant about buying into a CVT--10 years of stepping on a clutch was engrained into me. Ive had my coupe for just under a year now and honestly wouldnt go back to a manual. The car is, no matter what speed, always in its perfect torque band. Even at freeway speeds, if you step on the gas hard the car still accelerates as if you were taking off from a stand still. Theres never a perception of shifting. This is annoying to some, but, I actually really like slamming on the gas and having a "star trek spaceship feel" where the car just launches forward with no hesitation every few seconds as the car or you have to shift from gear to gear. Its most noticeable if you're in a situation at a stop light and you take off with another car with roughly the same HP as you, they can't keep up. Its fun to watch, because you can clearly see it happening, their car lurch forward and then fall back slightly as the car or they switch gears, there is no way around that with a traditional transmission that has gears, at some point they will have to spend a fraction of a second switch gears, meanwhile my coupe doesnt ever stop the acceleration process because there are no gears to switch to, its always a constant thrust forward. But most importantly, I like the 45mpg I get with a CVT. I smile every time Im near a Prius because I know, we're getting roughly the same gas mileage but they, well, theyre driving a Prius hahahahah.
Sponsored