Honda Plus Extended Warranty - when to purchase?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yes and no. I daresay you're being overly pessimistic about this.

It's an extension of the existing warranty, so in order for you to deny warranty claims they have to prove it was due to your negligence. Any excluded parts are wear/tear parts that aren't covered anyway, like brake pads and rotors. Calipers are covered. etc.

If my steering column breaks in half, they will not care that I didn't change my oil, and so on and so on. Reasonable and documented maintenance of your vehicle, whether at Honda or at a mechanic, is sufficient. They may put up a fight, but it's the same story with the regular 3 year warranty anyway.

You follow the plan, when the car tells you.

FWIW at 9 months into ownership my car told me to do 0 1 9. I went in, declined any services for 9 because I told them I'd do and document the inspection myself, and nobody made a fuss about it.
Sponsored

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
Yes and no. I daresay you're being overly pessimistic about this.

It's an extension of the existing warranty, so in order for you to deny warranty claims they have to prove it was due to your negligence. Any excluded parts are wear/tear parts that aren't covered anyway, like brake pads and rotors. Calipers are covered. etc.

If my steering column breaks in half, they will not care that I didn't change my oil, and so on and so on. Reasonable and documented maintenance of your vehicle, whether at Honda or at a mechanic, is sufficient. They may put up a fight, but it's the same story with the regular 3 year warranty anyway.

You follow the plan, when the car tells you.

FWIW at 9 months into ownership my car told me to do 0 1 9. I went in, declined any services for 9 because I told them I'd do and document the inspection myself, and nobody made a fuss about it.
Thanks fo your reply. I agree with you for the most part.
However I dont agree that the extended warranty is an extension of the existing warranty. Its not. Not the same coverage, lots more exclusions and conditions. Its a different product.
I need to know exactly what Im buying and Im always very cautious about the information I get from my dealer. If that makes me a pessimistic...so be it. :)

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Thanks fo your reply. I agree with you for the most part.
However I dont agree that the extended warranty is an extension of the existing warranty. Its not. Not the same coverage, lots more exclusions and conditions. Its a different product.
I need to know exactly what Im buying and Im always very cautious about the information I get from my dealer. If that makes me a pessimistic...so be it. :)
For the sake of discussion, I read through the fine-print, and you're right - it explicitly states it is not a continuation of existing warranty, and is a separate product under Canada law.

That said, the 'exclusions' list, while I agree is extensive, is not unreasonable. It is a long list for sure, but it is largely things that are wear/tear like body panels and interior trim, as well as consumables like light bulbs and brake pads, tires, fluids, etc.

There's also a case to be made that you have a better "argument" for denied warranty work, if you hold extended warranty. Honda has historically been good with "goodwill" repairs, mostly pertaining to those who bought extended warranty. Think of it like an unwritten, unenforceable bonus.

FWIW, I bought mine because I had to replace the transmission on my V6 Accord (bought the car used, took the chance for known issue, got burned badly) at ~$4K. Given that new cars are half computers as they are mechanical machines, and knowing how costly electrical fixes can be, I just decided it was worth it. Hell, I spend nearly $30K after taxes and whatnot, an extra 1.5 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, for peace of mind.

And I think that's the real answer here. If buying the warranty puts you at ease, then you should get it. If buying the warranty makes you nervous for the potential exclusions and denial of service, then you should probably skip it. My two cents!

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
For the sake of discussion, I read through the fine-print, and you're right - it explicitly states it is not a continuation of existing warranty, and is a separate product under Canada law.

That said, the 'exclusions' list, while I agree is extensive, is not unreasonable. It is a long list for sure, but it is largely things that are wear/tear like body panels and interior trim, as well as consumables like light bulbs and brake pads, tires, fluids, etc.

There's also a case to be made that you have a better "argument" for denied warranty work, if you hold extended warranty. Honda has historically been good with "goodwill" repairs, mostly pertaining to those who bought extended warranty. Think of it like an unwritten, unenforceable bonus.

FWIW, I bought mine because I had to replace the transmission on my V6 Accord (bought the car used, took the chance for known issue, got burned badly) at ~$4K. Given that new cars are half computers as they are mechanical machines, and knowing how costly electrical fixes can be, I just decided it was worth it. Hell, I spend nearly $30K after taxes and whatnot, an extra 1.5 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, for peace of mind.

And I think that's the real answer here. If buying the warranty puts you at ease, then you should get it. If buying the warranty makes you nervous for the potential exclusions and denial of service, then you should probably skip it. My two cents!
I can only agree with you here.
Great input. Very insightful.
Thankyou inv4zn.

bigbadboss101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB LX CVT
I usually don't keep a car for more than 4 years and am on car number 26. With that said we might keep this Civic longer. So now I am deciding if we want extended warranty (cuz of all the electrical stuff and CVT) or Hondata. Both will be about the same price. One extends the warranty, one might reduce the warranty lol.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I usually don't keep a car for more than 4 years and am on car number 26. With that said we might keep this Civic longer. So now I am deciding if we want extended warranty (cuz of all the electrical stuff and CVT) or Hondata. Both will be about the same price. One extends the warranty, one might reduce the warranty lol.
Several times we have purchased the Honda extented warranty. In each case we did it about 2 months prior to our lease end. We only did it as we loved the vehicles and bought them out at the end of the lease.

accordst14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
Your maintenance minder on the car will tell you when and which items on the list needs to be done. Usually a main item and some sub items based on mileage and time and conditions that the car has been driven. It should also give you a percentage of your oil life. My 06 civic did that and got quite passive agressive if you ignore it after the percentage dropped below 15%.
Sponsored