Honda Parts Bulletin on the CTR Tire Replacement

hellojake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si, Honda Civic Type R
anyone know what tires they are putting on the CTR for the North part of the states?
I was told that all summer tires are coming on cars that are sold in the south.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
anyone know what tires they are putting on the CTR for the North part of the states?
I was told that all summer tires are coming on cars that are sold in the south.
The Type R only comes with Summer tires from the factory.

There are a small number of aftermarket Winter tires available.

There are currently no all-season tires in the Type R's size that I know of.

Dealers are suppose to keep unsold Type R indoors when the temperatures go below the 40s (°F).

Last edited:

hellojake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si, Honda Civic Type R

Dealers are suppose to keep unsold Type R indoors when the temperatures go below the 40s (°F).

Stupid dealer gave me the wrong info. i thought i saw them all have the same tires!

MrZivic

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 Grom, 2001 Reflex, 2001 Civic LX, 1994 Civic DX HB and 1992 Civic HB x2
Country flag

Installed 245/35R20 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 without issues. Better wet and cooler weather tire. Used a hunter tire changer without any wheel damage. Just have to watch what your doing and know your equipment.

AJCTR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Installed 245/35R20 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 without issues. Better wet and cooler weather tire. Used a hunter tire changer without any wheel damage. Just have to watch what your doing and know your equipment.
I live in Dallas, Texas area and no dealerships that I found carry the right machine so I called the Honda Tool & Equipment and asked them to tell me what dealerships have purchased the required machines to be able to change my CTR tires. She is supposed to call me back while she looks into it. I sure hope your right about being able to get it changed with a basic Hunter. So stupid I have to get my car to a dealership, get a loaner for who knows how many days, while they ship out my wheels to get a new tire put on them. Why would Honda sell a car and put the owners through this mess?

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag

MrZivic

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 Grom, 2001 Reflex, 2001 Civic LX, 1994 Civic DX HB and 1992 Civic HB x2
Country flag
I think someone posted something about this already, but here's the official statement. FYI on these tire machines, they are like $30,000 and I'm told they constantly go down due to the sensors getting out of line or going bad. Doubtful any dealer is buying this machine just for one car they might see come in to their service center once in a years time. We do tire changes on the Pilot and Ridgeline 20" wheels all the time and never scratch up the wheels with our regular Hunter machines so I don't know why Honda would send a bulletin out like this, but I guess they're "looking out for us." :dunno:

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG
Anyone interested in my takeoff Continentals? 335 miles when removed. Driven from dealer to home to shop.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nitto Neo Gen ...

... and there are lots of options in 245/35ZR20.
Thanks for pointing out the Nitto Neogen 245/30ZR20 90W XL stock number 185180. That's the first all-season tire in the Type R's size I've seen and they're reasonably priced at about $800 per set. Certainly less capable than the factory tires, but seems to be a great choice for those who plan to use their Type Rs as daily drivers. Personally, I wouldn't use a 245/35ZR20 since it's an inch too tall.

MrZivic

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for pointing out the Nitto Neogen 245/30ZR20 90W XL stock number 185180. That's the first all-season tire in the Type R's size I've seen and they're reasonably priced at about $800 per set. Certainly less capable than the factory tires, but seems to be a great choice for those who plan to use their Type Rs as daily drivers. Personally, I wouldn't use a 245/35ZR20 since it's an inch too tall.
It's only 1/2" on the bottom. ;):thumbsup: They fit and it opens up options using the OE wheel.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I wouldn't call it a "great choice." I am not referring to the tire itself, of which I know nothing; but to using anything other than tires in the same or 'better' class as the CSC6 on the stock 20" rims. As per the manufacturer's recommendation, the solution for non-summer cooler conditions - where one wants the flex of a taller sidewall - is a (second) set of rims of 18" diameter.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As per the manufacturer's recommendation, the solution for non-summer cooler conditions - where one wants the flex of a taller sidewall - is a (second) set of rims of 18" diameter.
"Manufacturer's" = Honda? I was not aware Honda recommended the installation of 18" wheels on the Type R.
Sponsored