Honda Parts Bulletin on the CTR Tire Replacement

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
I think someone posted something about this already, but here's the official statement. FYI on these tire machines, they are like $30,000 and I'm told they constantly go down due to the sensors getting out of line or going bad. Doubtful any dealer is buying this machine just for one car they might see come in to their service center once in a years time. We do tire changes on the Pilot and Ridgeline 20" wheels all the time and never scratch up the wheels with our regular Hunter machines so I don't know why Honda would send a bulletin out like this, but I guess they're "looking out for us." :dunno:

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Parts Bulletin on the CTR Tire Replacement IMG_0735.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Parts Bulletin on the CTR Tire Replacement IMG_0736.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Parts Bulletin on the CTR Tire Replacement IMG_0737.JPG

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
Yeah the dealer i work at already told me flat out there is no chance we will be purchasing one of the "required" changing machines. very unfortunate because ours is ancient. but they are not willing too spend even half that money on something that is only needed for 1 vehicle. but Ive already been given a list of the dealers around us that do have these machines. only 2 within 30 minutes of us

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Called this one, too :)
I think someone posted something about this already, but here's the official statement. FYI on these tire machines, they are like $30,000 and I'm told they constantly go down due to the sensors getting out of line or going bad. Doubtful any dealer is buying this machine just for one car they might see come in to their service center once in a years time. We do tire changes on the Pilot and Ridgeline 20" wheels all the time and never scratch up the wheels with our regular Hunter machines so I don't know why Honda would send a bulletin out like this, but I guess they're "looking out for us." :dunno:
The CTR tire (245/30/20) is 25.8" tall, subtract a 20" wheel, divide by 2 and you have less than 3" of rubber on each side of the rim. It's an extra load tire, so it has a reinforced sidewall and tread cap = super stiff tire that will require skill and a good tool to change.

The Pilot tire (245/50/20) you mentioned, has an overall diameter of 29.7", minus 20" of rim, divide by 2 is almost 5" of rubber on each side of the rim. It is relatively easy to change by any machine that can handle a 20" rim.

For reference, the NSX rear tire (305/30/20) is almost a full inch and a half taller than the CTR tire (27.2" diameter) and dealers have damaged many wheels and tires trying to change them with their standard machine.

Simply put, your run of the mill tire changing machine isn't ready for this tire. You should be happy that Honda is looking out for the dealer and the tech who does the tire swap, rather than watching you fail and playing clean up after you piss the customer off and shell out lots of cash to replace a wheel and tire.

All of that said, anyone who wishes to have tires swapped at a local garage should seriously reference this material before selecting a shop to perform a tire change.

Last edited:

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Yeah the dealer i work at already told me flat out there is no chance we will be purchasing one of the "required" changing machines. very unfortunate because ours is ancient. but they are not willing too spend even half that money on something that is only needed for 1 vehicle. but Ive already been given a list of the dealers around us that do have these machines. only 2 within 30 minutes of us
The machine is state of the art and expensive, no doubt about that. On the up side, it is capable of handling anything you throw at it, so it is a worthwhile investment for the dealer for years to come.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
The machine is state of the art and expensive, no doubt about that. On the up side, it is capable of handling anything you throw at it, so it is a worthwhile investment for the dealer for years to come.
No it's not. Considering how 99% of tire changes will be done on smaller wheels and 20s with fatter sidewalls, this is a terrible investment for any dealer since Honda has no plans to release another car as aggressive as the CTR any time soon.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No it's not. Considering how 99% of tire changes will be done on smaller wheels and 20s with fatter sidewalls, this is a terrible investment for any dealer since Honda has no plans to release another car as aggressive as the CTR any time soon.
Couple that with most CTR owners are heavy enthusiasts who wrench on their cars themselves or let high-end specialty shops handle their wheel and tire needs, this is a no brainer for a Honda shop. They'll either let their best tech change a tire IF they even ever see a CTR come in for tires or they'll simply refuse offering tire changing service for the CTR so they don't end up buying a set of CTR wheels. Last time I checked, there's like 0.00002 "car enthusiast" who have actually walked into their local dealer and bought tires for their R's/S2000, etc.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Lets say that a normal Honda dealer also has a pre-owned lot. Oh wait, they do. -So they also see a lot more than just Honda vehicles that need reconditioning before hitting the lot.

My local Honda dealer has a used M4 sitting on the lot right now. Before that, they had a Z51 package Vette with 30 series pilot super sport run flat tires on it. The tires on those vehicles are no different than the CTR tires, when it comes to capability of changing tires.

So if you want, let's talk about how a dealer can't get the most out of a tire machine that can handle a low profile tire.

I'm not going to pitch you on the benefits of the new machine, but to attempt to argue that there aren't reasons outside of the CTR to own the latest technology in tools to service the latest vehicle technology is :dunno:

Last edited:

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
More reasons to downsize to 19" or 18" tires. I see a lot of dealers refusing to change tires for CTR owners for liability reasons.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
once the tires wear out, I'm turning those 20inch wheels in to a coffee table and 18x9 volk te37's replacing the dubs.
I too am hoping an 18" wheel will fit, except the 20" wheels will become track wheels.

OP
OP
RatedR

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I too am hoping an 18" wheel will fit, except the 20" wheels will become track wheels.
In the parts catalog it lists the temp wheel as 18x4 so I'd say an 18" will fit.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
honda sells 18inch accessory wheels as snow sets. Dubs look so ridiculous on the civic, definitely marketing beat out the engineering in that aspect.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
I'd still be cautious about 18" wheels. The RS also has 350mm front Brembos and not every 18" clears the calipers.
It should be interesting to see what will and won't fit.
Sponsored