Honda OVERFILLED OIL or just oil dilution?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
I have a 2016 honda civic touring with the 1.5 turbo
Here is the dipstick picture
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda OVERFILLED OIL or just oil dilution? IMG_9094

Got the oil change done approx. 2000km ago at honda for $100. I got it done in the end of December and notice my oil is slightly higher than what is normal on the dipstick after 2000kms (which could mean that the car was overfilled for awhile). The oil dilution recall had already been done a while ago. My concern to check the oil was the fact that my engine temperature would fluctuate, I would drive 25 mins and idle for a bit and the engine temperature would drop from the optimal to half. it would even show my engine increase in temp slightly then all of sudden show that my engine is really cold. another Honda dealer told me that they may have filled the car to the non-turbo spec. The oil also looks very black for only 2000 km of driving. Please let me know if this would cause any engine damage.
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I have a 2016 honda civic touring with the 1.5 turbo
Here is the dipstick picture
IMG_9094.jpg

Got the oil change done approx. 2000km ago at honda for $100. I got it done in the end of December and notice my oil is slightly higher than what is normal on the dipstick after 2000kms (which could mean that the car was overfilled for awhile). The oil dilution recall had already been done a while ago. My concern to check the oil was the fact that my engine temperature would fluctuate, I would drive 25 mins and idle for a bit and the engine temperature would drop from the optimal to half. it would even show my engine increase in temp slightly then all of sudden show that my engine is really cold. another Honda dealer told me that they may have filled the car to the non-turbo spec. The oil also looks very black for only 2000 km of driving. Please let me know if this would cause any engine damage.
They overfilled mine last time. The oil level was about 4-5mm above the top of the yellow plastic thingy. After 1000 km the level dropped to the point where yours is now and stayed there since. I don’t know what happed to the oil to be honest.
What kind of oil is that? 0w20? It looks really dark for 1000km but just because it’s dark it doesn’t mean there is somethink wrong with the oil or engine.
How cold was the weather when this temperature drop happened?
I ve seen something similar with mine: i drove about 12-15 minites, the temp gauge reached the usual place then i started heating and after a minute the temp gauge sank like 3-4mm. But the ext temperature was like -10 celsius or so.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They overfilled mine last time. The oil level was about 4-5mm above the top of the yellow plastic thingy. After 1000 km the level dropped to the point where yours is now and stayed there since. I don’t know what happed to the oil to be honest.
What kind of oil is that? 0w20? It looks really dark for 1000km but just because it’s dark it doesn’t mean there is somethink wrong with the oil or engine.
How cold was the weather when this temperature drop happened?
I ve seen something similar with mine: i drove about 12-15 minites, the temp gauge reached the usual place then i started heating and after a minute the temp gauge sank like 3-4mm. But the ext temperature was like -10 celsius or so.
yes it was definitely cold when the engine fluctuated -6 degree celsius I believe. it even does it at +1 degree celsius and I only noticed this issue after the oil change. I think its due to the oil being overfilled. usually at 2000km id expect to see the oil slightly under the 2nd dot. This just means that they overfilled my engine so much to begin with. The oil change was done by Honda so the oil is whatever the recommendation is for the car.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yes it was definitely cold when the engine fluctuated -6 degree celsius I believe. it even does it at +1 degree celsius and I only noticed this issue after the oil change. I think its due to the oil being overfilled. usually at 2000km id expect to see the oil slightly under the 2nd dot. This just means that they overfilled my engine so much to begin with. The oil change was done by Honda so the oil is whatever the recommendation is for the car.
I’m not a mechanic but I don’t think a simple overfill can cause such thing. When do you start heating the cabin? Right after start or you wait until the “normal” temperature is reached?
Did you check the coolant level?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m not a mechanic but I don’t think a simple overfill can cause such thing. When do you start heating the cabin? Right after start or you wait until the “normal” temperature is reached?
Did you check the coolant level?
haven't checked coolant as it says on the hood to do the first change in 10 years. i usually heat the car after turning on as Canada winter is brutal. I noticed this fluctuation after 30km of driving including highway and city which should be sufficient to warm the car fully

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
haven't checked coolant as it says on the hood to do the first change in 10 years. i usually heat the car after turning on as Canada winter is brutal. I noticed this fluctuation after 30km of driving including highway and city which should be sufficient to warm the car fully
I know it’s nice to turn the heating on immeditely but thats really not good for the car. Just saying.
I would definately check coolant level. You must check it when cold. It should not be below min, ot at least not too much below min. They don’t fill up the system correctly in the factory.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know it’s nice to turn the heating on immeditely but thats really not good for the car. Just saying.
I would definately check coolant level. You must check it when cold. It should not be below min, ot at least not too much below min. They don’t fill up the system correctly in the factory.
thanks for the advice never really knew about this. Does anyone think this is oil dilution despite the recall being done or just dealership mistake

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Weirdly enough I cant tell my coolant level. The reservoir is hard to tell as it seems barely see through. I see the min/max on it but I cant seem to see where its at. Am I doing something wrong ?

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Weirdly enough I cant tell my coolant level. The reservoir is hard to tell as it seems barely see through. I see the min/max on it but I cant seem to see where its at. Am I doing something wrong ?
Its probably not your fault. Its extremely difficult to read. Take a flashlight and light it from the top and try to read it from the side. Or if that doesnt work remove the cap on reservoir and check it from the “inside”. Press the cap and turn. Just dont forget to put the cap back on properly.
Sponsored