Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
so, here is the thing
my 2016 lx sedan has few aftermarket parts installed on it and has just 7000 miles on it :
-tint (50% front and 15% back),
-sound deadening (rear part of the interior, trunk, front doors) ,
-new speakers (no cutting wires, used adapters),
-rear eibach sway bar,
-front megan racing strut bar,
-led lights (turn signal, stop lights, low beams, reverse)
-engine side covers
and that is it, it even still has 16 steelies on it

so today I took my car to the honda of stevens creek in san jose, ca and asked to do few things, that I believe are suppose to be covered by warranty (my 36 month lease is ending September 2019 and I'm planning to keep my car):
- rubber pieces on the roof, one is straight and another was all zigzagged ... just looks really bad, never bothered me and today I decided to take it to honda dealership to get it fixed
- radio reception was bad since day one, but again never bothered me since we listen usb or bluetooth sources
- windshield washer nozzles were aimed too high, needed adjustment
6 hours later service guy called me and said that they can't do all above due to too many aftermarket parts installed... he told me that most likely rubber piece was removed by a tint guy to remove a window to tint.. bullcrap... and he said radio reception is bad due to aftermarket stereo installed.... and I need to put the car back to stock so they can fix that....
but they did charger me $100 for oil change and 6000 miles service
all above sounds like a huge bullcrap to me... how do I fight? Car is under Honda's warranty but according to the service guy american honda wants me put the car back to stock to actually fix those little things ...

I know about magnusson-moss act but in my case they are not voiding my warranty but telling me to put my car back to stock....
Sponsored

Last edited:

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Try a different stealership, might just be the tech having a bad day or the dealer not being very mod friendly. Either way not worth fighting with the dealer because who knows what they will do to your car once you leave it there.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wtith mods on the car you always take a chance to not receive waranty work on the car.....

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Just to play devil's advocate...

he told me that most likely rubber piece was removed by a tint guy to remove a window to tint..
This doesn't sound unlikely to me. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to prove.

and he said radio reception is bad due to aftermarket stereo installed.....
Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed? If not, this doesn't make sense. If so, why would they fix your aftermarket stereo?

That being said, I agree with the others. Take it to another dealership and ask them to look at it.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
WARNING: This is a Joke .. please bear that in mind before responding !!! :doh:

Just MAKE SURE, if you go to another Dealer, your keep the trunk LOCKED.

You may not want them snooping there, and having it influence their decision to deny warranty !!

Honda Civic 10th gen honda of america declined warranty work cnzyrfq3gfi7yzyg0gsw

Last edited:

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
"....and he said radio reception is bad due to aftermarket stereo installed. "

This make sense, who know if antenna wires was damaged with new installation ?
If you got reception good or bad, radio is working. You have to check antenna. With new wires running everything may happened and may need more than a warranty usual working time.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
(my 36 month lease is ending September 2019 and I'm planning to keep my car):
If you plan to keep the car, it;'s time to go MECHANIC interviewing !!

Fun thing to do, as at that point, YOU are in CONTROL - if you don;t like what you hear, you can walk.

Find another Dealer or Repair Shop, that you are comfortable with, and that appears to be honest, helpful, and cares about you and your car, and not just your money.

Does not sound like there is anything on your car that needs URGENT attention, so you have plenty of time to find someone, before your next service, or any warranty work needs to be done.

Just like a Dealer would appear to have the choice to accept or deny warranty work, YOU also have the choice as to who services your car (within reason -- for warranty work, they probably need to be Honda Certified in some way .. CHECK )

GOD -- I despise Dealers, and their BS -- (after you have signed and purchased your car from them)

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

You may not want them snooping there, and having it influence their decision to deny warranty !!

cnzyrfq3gfi7yzyg0gsw.jpg

By not being honest with the mechanic, neglecting to give him all the details about the car, he will discover it while working and will surely be angry towards you.
It will not help for the guarantee

That's a very bad idea

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

cnzyrfq3gfi7yzyg0gsw.jpg
Wouldn't the dealer have full access to your car and be able to pop the trunk?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
go to a different dealership. Honda of america didn't deny your warranty, the dealership you took it to did.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

cnzyrfq3gfi7yzyg0gsw.jpg
Wouldn't the dealer have full access to your car and be able to pop the trunk?
Do any Canadians have a sense of Humor ??

Seriously, do you really think that Civic owners are going to have a great big Bottle of Nitro in the trunk !!

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Do any Canadians have a sense of Humor ??

Seriously, do you really think that Civic owners are going to have a great big Bottle of Nitro in the trunk !!
How would anyone find the humor in that when it wasn't even remotely funny?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Wait...$100 for an oil change?? My dealer charges $60 and I think thats high lol. Also, even though the dealer is full of shit and in reality you should have the warranty work done, they're within their rights to deny the work because of the mods. Find another dealer and try again, that's your best bet.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
By not being honest with the mechanic, neglecting to give him all the details about the car, he will discover it while working and will surely be angry towards you.
It will not help for the guarantee

That's a very bad idea
How would anyone find the humor in that when it wasn't even remotely funny?
You just proved my point :rofl: