crownjewels

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
So, there are still "small people" in this world. Two wrongs (people) don't make a right.
He was not a nice person and we fell out of friendship after I started to see his behavior.
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I change my own oil because, call me crazy, but I don't trust anyone else to do it. Once they stripped the threads on the drain plug, and all my new oil was on the garage floor the next morning, and once they failed to remove the old rubber filter seal and added a new one, and my oil came out on their parking lot. And I'm told they don't change the filter the first time, which makes no sense at all. The filter is six dollars. Why would anyone not replace the filter when changing the oil??? To save six bucks? really? My DIY oil change with full synthetic 0w20 and a new honda filter costs about thirty dollars.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I change my own oil because, call me crazy, but I don't trust anyone else to do it. Once they stripped the threads on the drain plug, and all my new oil was on the garage floor the next morning, and once they failed to remove the old rubber filter seal and added a new one, and my oil came out on their parking lot. And I'm told they don't change the filter the first time, which makes no sense at all. The filter is six dollars. Why would anyone not replace the filter when changing the oil??? To save six bucks? really? My DIY oil change with full synthetic 0w20 and a new honda filter costs about thirty dollars.
Most dealerships DO change the oil filter everytime, however, Honda must've done their tests on it as that's why they have A vs B service codes. What I can't believe is not only that, but they've cheaped out and replaced the previously high quality A01 Filtech filters with the cheapest, cardboard-based A02 filters made from Fram. Still, I guess Honda's testing shows that the oil is clean enough to where that's all that's needed.

TinoMills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually just went to get my oil changed Thursday and the dealer told me the indicator triggers at 15%. Im at ~8000 mi and this is my second change. The first time I changed was at 40% second time at %20. My gas mileage sucks, im at 23.3 mpg mostly hwy miles and I cant understand why. I shoulda waited till the engine broke in before i got my first change but i didnt wanna wait till the last minute plus it was so new. So in all honesty wait a bit longer...it may help with your mileage down the road.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You could get an oil change every day if you really wanted to. More money for them. I doubt they really care.
Unless it's his first oil change. Honda states it has the 'break in oil' from factory and says it needs to stay in. This is maybe why.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There was talk in an oil thread that Honda still puts in a special blend, not commercially available, in their new cars, designed for engine break-in. If that's true, I would want to wait to a low % to have my first change. In any case you can certainly wait until 10% or even 0% -- there is leeway built into the 0%.
It's true. It has a bulletin still in effect.

Stygian22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe EX-T & sedan LX
Hello, i have an appointment later on today for a oil change with Honda and my buddy also has a civic coupe but when he went in for an oil change they told him he has to come in with 15% percent not 20% making him waste his time driving to his dealer which is about an hour away. So i was wondering if i should just cancel my appointment and just way till i get to 15% or just go to my dealer which is also about and hour away and maybe take the chance? Has anyone had there oil change done at 20% ? Thanks for the help !
YES, after your first oil change they put a coded sticker in the window that say 15%. I did the same thing with my wife's sedan at 3,500 miles lol. They looked at me like I was nuts. It's 10,000 mile oil changes now.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
It doesn't have to be either 3000 or 10,000. I do mine myself at around 6 or 7 thousand. 3 is too soon and 10 is too much. I read that all the automakers are competeing to see who can advertise the lowest maintanence cost, and that's why the ten thousand mile recommendation. I've talked to three independent techs, one at motorwerks who specialize in expensive sportscars( porsch, BMW, etc.) and they all told me 10,000 is too long, no matter what the maintenance minder says.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't have to be either 3000 or 10,000. I do mine myself at around 6 or 7 thousand. 3 is too soon and 10 is too much. I read that all the automakers are competeing to see who can advertise the lowest maintanence cost, and that's why the ten thousand mile recommendation. I've talked to three independent techs, one at motorwerks who specialize in expensive sportscars( porsch, BMW, etc.) and they all told me 10,000 is too long, no matter what the maintenance minder says.
I'm still waiting to hear from all of those people that follow the MM to the letter and having their engines require expensive repairs because they didn't change the oil frequently enough. Oh wait, that's not a thing. The only time you run into engine issues is when you have a poorly designed engine where sludge becomes an issue and in those instances, there's nothing you can do (I remember reading how people would change their oil every 1,000 miles to try and avoid the issue to no avail).

I'm not aware of ANYONE that buys a vehicle based on the MM schedule and frankly, I've never SEEN an advertisement for that interval. They could have it every 3,000 miles and it wouldn't affect sales. That makes no sense whatsoever.

The only thing you can trust is hard data. Actual people with actual failures or oil analysis results. I haven't heard of any details to indicate a reason not to follow the MM.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still waiting to hear from all of those people that follow the MM to the letter and having their engines require expensive repairs because they didn't change the oil frequently enough. Oh wait, that's not a thing. The only time you run into engine issues is when you have a poorly designed engine where sludge becomes an issue and in those instances, there's nothing you can do (I remember reading how people would change their oil every 1,000 miles to try and avoid the issue to no avail).

I'm not aware of ANYONE that buys a vehicle based on the MM schedule and frankly, I've never SEEN an advertisement for that interval. They could have it every 3,000 miles and it wouldn't affect sales. That makes no sense whatsoever.

The only thing you can trust is hard data. Actual people with actual failures or oil analysis results. I haven't heard of any details to indicate a reason not to follow the MM.
I'm not disagreeing nor am I agreeing,,

Well, we don't have enough data to warrant that 10kmi oci is bad, who knows when we will see the first 1.5T grenade, could be at 100kmi, could be way longer. The fact is, we don't know, and until we do, I'll always have my oil changed before the majority of everyone else does, just piece of mind. Also, there are many other issues that have made engines blow up over the past 10 years. Rod bearings in bmws, faulty rings in Honda and Toyota, bad rod bearings in Hyundie too. Sure sludge is bad, but there are lots of other issues as to why motors blow up.

I do buy the fact that Honda is trying to look good with lowest cost of ownership, they are doing this with the crazy long intervals we have seen, only time will tell if these long intervals will make the car last as long as we have known Hondas to last in previous generations.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag

you may be right. I don't know. But since the DIY oil change only costs me 30 dollars, about the same as a tank of gas, and since I enjoy working on my car and don't consider it an appliance to get me from point A to point B, I'll continue to change my oil every 6000.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
you may be right. I don't know. But since the DIY oil change only costs me 30 dollars, about the same as a tank of gas, and since I enjoy working on my car and don't consider it an appliance to get me from point A to point B, I'll continue to change my oil every 6000.
Like, I've my oil has been changed 4 times now. 1 by dealer and 3 by me since. 4 oil changes within 34,000kms. Thats an oil change avg every 8500kms (5300mi). If I had stuck to Hondas MM, I would have received a max of 3 oil changes so far.

I'm in Canada, so prices are more.

It costs me $50 max for my oil & filter which is 3.8L with oil filter (Castrl syntec, Mobil1 green cap) ($70 for AMS oil which I run now.)

My dealer charges $59.99 for a synthetic oil change and not so good A02 filter.

I can use a Mobil1 or WIX premium filter and AMSOIL for the same price my dealer charges. Only takes me an hour out of my busy day.

All this being said, I have invested less money into matainence than I would have had too if I went to my dealer every time (I skipped my brake inspection and did it myself which saved me $$$'s.

Bonus
: I've changed my oil 4 times instead of 3, and at the end of the day, my oil is twice as clean. If you can change your own oil, why wouldn't you? Nuff said IMO.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they will fit , its what i used
Should have leased it instead and be able to get rid of it after 3 years
It's true. It has a bulletin still in effect.
Like, I've my oil has been changed 4 times now. 1 by dealer and 3 by me since. 4 oil changes within 34,000kms. Thats an oil change avg every 8500kms (5300mi). If I had stuck to Hondas MM, I would have received a max of 3 oil changes so far.

I'm in Canada, so prices are more.

It costs me $50 max for my oil & filter which is 3.8L with oil filter (Castrl syntec, Mobil1 green cap) ($70 for AMS oil which I run now.)

My dealer charges $59.99 for a synthetic oil change and not so good A02 filter.

I can use a Mobil1 or WIX premium filter and AMSOIL for the same price my dealer charges. Only takes me an hour out of my busy day.

All this being said, I have invested less money into matainence than I would have had too if I went to my dealer every time (I skipped my brake inspection and did it myself which saved me $$$'s.

Bonus
: I've changed my oil 4 times instead of 3, and at the end of the day, my oil is twice as clean. If you can change your own oil, why wouldn't you? Nuff said IMO.
Part of my problem is the cascading thinking. If I were to convince myself that the MM could NOT be trusted then where does it end?

For instance, my 2000 Miata. Pre-MM. Even doing all of the maintenance myself, I've racked up thousands in likely unnecessary maintenance. Replacing transmission/diff fluids every year, spark plugs every year or two, brake/clutch field every year, coolant every year, air filters every year, etc, etc. It really adds up over time. You let fear in and then when you read about people that change their transmission fluid with every oil change, you start believing its necessary too. Can you really go 100k (at least on my Pilot) on spark plugs? 100k for coolant?

That's why I trust the MM. The Honda engineers designed it to make people like me not worry. I trust them because they have every reason NOT to have these longer intervals but choose to for our benefit.
Sponsored