First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The problem with that is that changing oil viscosity would change your oil temps.

Yes and no. It will not change by that wide of a margin.

Remember 0W and 5W are nearly identical in viscosity. Anyone running 10W is just silly.
Sponsored

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Yes and no. It will not change by that wide of a margin.

Remember 0W and 5W are nearly identical in viscosity. Anyone running 10W is just silly.
True but going from 20 to 30 weight would increase viscosity when hot and potentially fool the computer in to thinking the oil is cooler. I would not be concerned about oil pressure when the engine is cold unless is it wildly out of whack.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
For Android app requires the Honda CarService app is installed and has permissions.
Problem with screen size. App is sized for the full Honda screen size. Does not allow for the Android control panel at the bottom of the Android screen. App will need to be resized to fit the Android screen size. It is not possible to remove the Android control panel at the bottom of the screen.
IMG_20200919_132225.jpg
I have try to install Honda CarService and still the Andriod Auto wouldn't pickup the LogR, how do you did it?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have try to install Honda CarService and still the Andriod Auto wouldn't pickup the LogR, how do you did it?
From what I've read, you may need to go into your privacy settings on Android (I don't know where this is) and enable Honda CarService access to stuff.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Doing calculations the accuracy will be within +/- 3 degrees HVAC techs have been doing this calculations on liquids for decades.

By the way. The JB4 calculates Oil Temps on the Type R the same way.
I think is a bad idea..
I would never rely in a calculation for check my ECT, oil temps or intake temps if anything goes wrong you can damaged you motor really bad.. If an AC unit fails nothing really bad will happen or expensive to fix.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think is a bad idea..
I would never rely in a calculation for check my ECT, oil temps or intake temps if anything goes wrong you can damaged you motor really bad.. If an AC unit fails nothing really bad will happen or expensive to fix.

I get your logic here for sure. It's slightly apples to oranges. However, it is science and math. It's not wrong.

I would like to know though.... do we actually have a water temp sensor? A thermostat just opens when it gets hit to allow the water to flow.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True but going from 20 to 30 weight would increase viscosity when hot and potentially fool the computer in to thinking the oil is cooler. I would not be concerned about oil pressure when the engine is cold unless is it wildly out of whack.

0W-20 is the same weight as 0W-30

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I get your logic here for sure. It's slightly apples to oranges. However, it is science and math. It's not wrong.

I would like to know though.... do we actually have a water temp sensor? A thermostat just opens when it gets hit to allow the water to flow.
Course we have water temp sensor, its located on the right side of the motor

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yes, there are two physical water temp sensors.

One is part 37870-RWC-A01 on the radiator outlet, ECT2.
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda LogR 1600827637958

The other is part of the water pump assembly, part 37870-RWC-A01. This measures water coming from the engine, ECT1.
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda LogR 1600827682053

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
So has anyone actually confirmed that there is not an oil temp sensor present? Or is this just speculation based on the pre 2020 models?

I used the app for the first time yesterday dropping my kid off. It's pretty neat! I'm excited to use it for autocross to actually get some logs.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
So has anyone actually confirmed that there is not an oil temp sensor present? Or is this just speculation based on the pre 2020 models?
I don’t know the 2020 , but I can confirm the 17~19 does not have oil temp sensor , just oil pressure sensor and oil switch sensor it measure you have pressure or not .

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
According to the Honda parts databases, there's no new sensor listed for the 2020 MY.

radekr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guys

If there is no new hardware then maybe it's enough to ask dealer to install the unit software from after lift model to the before lift model ;) android version in HC is the same. Someone with 2020 model can provide which software version have? I have 1.F197.0

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
0W-20 is the same weight as 0W-30
I fear there may be some misunderstanding here. Often when oil viscosity is rated it is called weight, it is not that the actual weight of a given amount of oil varies but the viscosity does. I can assure you that any oil rated at 30 is more viscous than an oil rated at 20 and the W in a 0W-20 only refers to the oil viscosity at low temps. If the oil pressure is at least one of the factors used to determine the temperature, then changing viscosity should change the temp reading as there is no true oil temp sensor on the car. Engine builders always have to take oil viscosity into account as a thinner "weight" oil generally makes more power and flows more easily into tight bearings but may not be thick enough to protect those bearings etc. when really hot and effectively thinner. Viscosity modifiers are improving constantly such that we can now have highly functional oils that are 0W-40 but considering that Honda asks for 0W-20 as the OEM fill, I would stick with that unless I deliberately wanted to fool the computer
Sponsored