Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I guess it makes sense if you ignore the changes to the grill, radiator, and braking.
There are aftermarket solutions that work much better than those nerf upgrades. The serious track day enthusiast would still upgrade those. Maybe not the grill, but radiator and brakes for sure.
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
There are aftermarket solutions that work much better than those nerf upgrades. The serious track day enthusiast would still upgrade those. Maybe not the grill, but radiator and brakes for sure.
Sure. If you compare prices the used car is obviously going to make more sense. That’s the case for every car. I still think the 2020 is going to make a better all rounder. The sensing stuff is disabled fully as soon as you turn off VSA in +R mode (which everyone does on the track), and you have a better radiator, brakes, and suspension to start with. If LogR is ever finished, that’s just icing on the cake. Do we actually know that there isn’t an oil temp sensor on the 2020? I haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Sure. If you compare prices the used car is obviously going to make more sense. That’s the case for every car. I still think the 2020 is going to make a better all rounder. The sensing stuff is disabled fully as soon as you turn off VSA in +R mode (which everyone does on the track), and you have a better radiator, brakes, and suspension to start with. If LogR is ever finished, that’s just icing on the cake. Do we actually know that there isn’t an oil temp sensor on the 2020? I haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere.
The 2020 radiator doesn’t do anything better than the original OEM. It technically has more fin density but when tested on track, made no measurable difference. I’ve also confirmed with techs at Honda that there physically is no oil temp sensor. There were no new part numbers and nothing on the diagram showing an oil temp sensor.

The factory car will be tailored towards the every day driver that might see the track once or twice a year. For the more serious enthusiast, we will be upgrading a lot of these things to withstand the rigors of tracking.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I could just see the "behind the scene" when the 2021 CTR sets a lap record on the Suzuka track and comes into the paddock and everyone is scrambling to pop the hood and cool down the radiator with a garden hose?

OP
OP
724TypeR

724TypeR

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 white type r
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The 2020 radiator doesn’t do anything better than the original OEM. It technically has more fin density but when tested on track, made no measurable difference. I’ve also confirmed with techs at Honda that there physically is no oil temp sensor. There were no new part numbers and nothing on the diagram showing an oil temp sensor.

The factory car will be tailored towards the every day driver that might see the track once or twice a year. For the more serious enthusiast, we will be upgrading a lot of these things to withstand the rigors of tracking.
I have a 2020 and you’re right. All those thongs that they “upgraded” I plan on replacing with better solutions. If you currently have an r I wouldn’tsee a reason to go trade it in on a 2020. If you don’t and want a car that you know the history of and don’t wanna buy used then buy a 2020. I just wanted to know the history of my car and didn’t want one someone tracked 40 times and converted back to stock

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Personally, I am not that concerned re oil pressure. If it suddenly plummets you are already screwed as there is something really major wrong with the engine and you are looking at major repairs. Oil temps are usually much more important predictors of engine damage but my sources at Mobil 1 imply that high oil temps in the range of over 300 F will not bother their oil much and I would assume this would be the same with any good synthetic oil. Interesting though is that the high temps may not bother the oil much but may still damage the engine. Also interesting that the Nissan 370 apparently goes in to limp mode when the oil hits 280 F and a functioning oil cooler fixes that.

OTOH, it appears that Honda has decided to forego oil temps and look at coolant temps to trigger limp mode. I am sure the engineers know what they are talking about and extra total cooling, be it from an oil cooler that is in a different air flow, a larger radiator or a vented hood (this last one is not for mass marketing for obvious reasons) will likely delay or prevent limp mode by keeping the coolant cooler. The end result is that the oil temp readings in the Log R app likely don't really mean anything anyway. How about the other Log R functions?

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Yeah I paid the price of a new 2019 for my 2020 and I go the Boost Blue, new car peace of mind, and the goodies that came with 2020. If I ever do track stuff I'll prob have already replaced the radiator. I don't think it's any major downside, and Honda Sensing is a chaotic good because it can be kinda annoying, but a dude made a post within the last week on how it literally saved his car bc a Honda dealer did some shitty work and his foot got stuck when he went to slam on the brakes. Collision Mitigation saved the dude a potential 38k loss.

Regardless LogR will be a fun toy for anyone getting the car, I just hope it wasn't anyone's selling point.
Sponsored