Honda log R

metal_driver

Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I could be WILDLY wrong and there is a temp sensor, however, all temperature of any liquid can be calculated by pressure. It's (advanced) basic mathematics. The downside is It's way too complicated for my simple mind.

When I did HVAC we went off Tables (where someone else already calculated the temp based off pressure) and it was 100% accurate. Honda can do the same thing. Besids... an "actual" oil temp sensor is still working off voltage conversions.
If, (although it sounds like this might be correct) that the oil temperature data will only be extrapolated from oil pressure - all I can say is :oops:

Having come from a career of flying airplanes, and as anyone who pushes a car engine hard can tell you, you want both accurate oil pressure and oil temperature readings. You do not have the whole picture if one is just an extrapolation of the other. Far too many things can go wrong, and if they do, you want both real values, as it can go a long way to help you better understand what may be going on or about to go really wrong....

Advertisement

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06
Country flag
If you are using oil pressure to extrapolate oil temps then wouldn't it be important to make sure that you are always using the same viscosity oil?

I have always wondered what caused limp mode at the track and for NIssan at least, that is oil temp. Lower the oil temp with a cooler and no limp mode.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
If you are using oil pressure to extrapolate oil temps then wouldn't it be important to make sure that you are always using the same viscosity oil?

I have always wondered what caused limp mode at the track and for NIssan at least, that is oil temp. Lower the oil temp with a cooler and no limp mode.
I was wondering this same thing, and even within the same viscosity classifications, different oils are different thicknesses.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Reaction score
Car(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Great call out! I don’t know why anyone would want to use anything other than 0W though.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06
Country flag
Great call out! I don’t know why anyone would want to use anything other than 0W though.
It isn't the cold issue but more the warm one that is going to cause limp mode.. With increased temps, oil viscosity generally becomes lower meaning it flows better and I would assume drops oil pressure. OTOH, any reasonable oil pump can maintain good pressure no matter what the viscosity or temp and it is only when the oil is really hot and when engine speed is really low like at idle, that pressures should really drop. I am blown away that for its top performance car that an oil temp sensor AND gauge is not available. When oil pressure is low, you are in serious trouble, but when temps are high you can hopefully prevent serious trouble before it is too late. Even my 16 year old Covette has an oil temp gauge.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Reaction score
Car(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It isn't the cold issue but more the warm one that is going to cause limp mode.. With increased temps, oil viscosity generally becomes lower meaning it flows better and I would assume drops oil pressure. OTOH, any reasonable oil pump can maintain good pressure no matter what the viscosity or temp and it is only when the oil is really hot and when engine speed is really low like at idle, that pressures should really drop. I am blown away that for its top performance car that an oil temp sensor AND gauge is not available. When oil pressure is low, you are in serious trouble, but when temps are high you can hopefully prevent serious trouble before it is too late. Even my 16 year old Covette has an oil temp gauge.

That's the thing though.... 0w20 is the same weight as 0w40....... However 0w40 is supposed to provide the same protection as a 40 weight oil.

If anyone goes above 0w it's a peace of mind thing I wager.

deep-typer

First Name
Deep
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Following. Looking forward to the app being launched. Any idea if we have to drive into the dealership to get the APK installed or can it done through our phones?

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 Evo8, ED Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Ya. Since the Log R app is something new for the 2020 for the head unit, I didn't want to do the Honda Hack and screw everything up. Even though I tried to get the browser, this head unit is so damn sloooow.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Reaction score
Car(s)
19 SI, 99 ex b20v
Country flag
Ya. Since the Log R app is something new for the 2020 for the head unit, I didn't want to do the Honda Hack and screw everything up. Even though I tried to get the browser, this head unit is so damn sloooow.
built to be a radio not for streaming

Last edited:

FK8Guy

First Name
John
Reaction score
Car(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
this has been covered before. Im sure more people with more information will chime in, but because of ecu/ as well as some other sensors that cannot be read on pre-20, will make it so that Log R will not be available to pre-2020 owners
lol people with 2017 to 2019 think they can just make a 2020 CTR
even the ecu reads the road dampening 10x better