honda lied to me about my blown turbo

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
the dealership i went to voided my warranty because they said i have a blown turbo and said my cai was the cause of it which makes no sense. he said he found oil on the intake which was my seafoam lol. the dealership didn't even know what was going on with my car and just assumed it was the turbo. the guy even laughed at me. my friend works at that honda and told me they get paid to void warranties. i went to a expert mechanic to find out that the cause was a clogged injector. is there a way to fight for my warranty back.
Sponsored

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
... my friend works at that honda and told me they get paid to void warranties...
That is Unlikely, warranty work comes out of Honda's pocket, not the dealer's. When the dealer do warranty work they get paid, but not as much as "customer pay".
However, it is their job to determine is something was done to the car that can void warranty repair.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
the dealership i went to voided my warranty because they said i have a blown turbo and said my cai was the cause of it which makes no sense. he said he found oil on the intake which was my seafoam lol. the dealership didn't even know what was going on with my car and just assumed it was the turbo. the guy even laughed at me. my friend works at that honda and told me they get paid to void warranties. i went to a expert mechanic to find out that the cause was a clogged injector. is there a way to fight for my warranty back.
You've done nonstandard stuff, which any manufacturer doesn't like, so it's not surprising to me.

THAT BEING SAID,...

I don't think that they can void the warranty for the entire car. They can't, for example, refuse warranty work on the suspension just because of the intake.

But they can argue, probably successfully, that any engine problems would be caused by your CAI and Seafoam (why you're using Seafoam on a car that's less than fifteen years old, I don't know).

OP
OP
Drix

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
You've done nonstandard stuff, which any manufacturer doesn't like, so it's not surprising to me.

THAT BEING SAID,...

I don't think that they can void the warranty for the entire car. They can't, for example, refuse warranty work on the suspension just because of the intake.

But they can argue, probably successfully, that any engine problems would be caused by your CAI and Seafoam (why you're using Seafoam on a car that's less than fifteen years old, I don't know).
i have a idle problem where my something is clogging cylinder 4 from firing properly. i tried fuel cleaner and it didn't work so i went to seafoam.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i have a idle problem where my something is clogging cylinder 4 from firing properly. i tried fuel cleaner and it didn't work so i went to seafoam.
But the car is (was?) under warranty, why wouldn't you just take it to the dealer??

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
When you have warranty use it. But never bring a modifed vehicle to a dealer while still in the warranty period. I believe the powertrain warranty is 70k miles.

Looks like the OP is going to need to find an independent shop or try a different Honda dealer once the car is put back to stock.

What mods are on the car? Knowing this would help other forum members avoid issues like you are having.

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Piling on aftermarket parts on the car does not mean it will cause harm to the car, but look at it from the manufacturer's point of view. They designed every part of the car for a specific way. They say we will stand behind it for xx amount of years that it will perform without problems or we will repair it at our expense.
When you start modifying hardware or adding chemical, if they can prove your action cause the problem they no longer warranty the product.
I was a dealer tech for 10+ years (Honda and General motors) and seen some crazy stuff done by customers to their new cars. Some was repaired under warranty some was denied.
Your level of skill/experience to work on a car is unknown to the dealer.
You modified the intake. As far as they know, you let a squarrel make a nest in it while you were eating your 30-minute lunch. (just kidding).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drix

Drix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
went to another dealership and they fixed my idle issue.

HondaDNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Hx, 17 Sport
Country flag
Great , what he do ?
Probably replaced all 4 injectors (have to be replaced in a matched set). Its a pretty common problem for carbon to cause a fuel ratio imbalance if it builds up on the injector tip.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Probably replaced all 4 injectors (have to be replaced in a matched set). Its a pretty common problem for carbon to cause a fuel ratio imbalance if it builds up on the injector tip.
Injector and carbon issue in a 2018 car !!! Really ?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Check the OP history of posts.... his issues become less surprising

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When you have warranty use it. But never bring a modifed vehicle to a dealer while still in the warranty period. I believe the powertrain warranty is 70k miles.

Looks like the OP is going to need to find an independent shop or try a different Honda dealer once the car is put back to stock.

What mods are on the car? Knowing this would help other forum members avoid issues like you are having.
power train is 5 yrs 60k miles

went to another dealership and they fixed my idle issue.
so blown turbo or nah?

HondaDNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Hx, 17 Sport
Country flag
Yes, it only takes a few thousand miles for carbon to happen. The slightest impact to the injector tip and BAM! it doesn't flow the same as the others.
Sponsored