Honda Lease Price Mix Up

Do I pay the extra $35/month for the lease?

• Yes, the HFP kit was not listed under the accessories.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zgida

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Coupe Si
Country flag
Last Friday (July 27), I signed a 60 month lease for a 2018 Civic Coupe Si with the HFP kit. I decided to go with the lease because it was much cheaper than the financing option for me, and I plan to buy back the car, provided their are no issues with it. I live in Canada, so taxes are higher, and to summarize, I signed a lease for $432/month for 60 months at 20,000KM (~12,427 miles for my American friends), including 18inch winter tires, and the protection package (plastic winter floor and trunk mats, mud flaps, etc). It seemed very cheap, considering the Si with the HFP kit is normally $500+/month.

On the lease contract, it states that I will be leasing the 2018 Honda Civic Coupe Si Kit HFP at the above price for 60 months. On Wednesday (August 1), only a few days after I have been driving my new car around, I receive a call from Honda saying they miscalculated the price and it should be $467/month instead. Their reasoning was, although the lease states the model is an Si with the HFP Kit, the HFP kit was not listed under the accessories and therefore not "considered" in the pricing. The car shows up under my name as HFP in their system.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I give in and pay the extra $35/month, or should I tell them that it is their fault, the lease is already signed? I don't want to be that guy that does this, but a contract is a contract.
Sponsored

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean I don’t know the technical mumbo jumbo. But if you were the one that signed and they accidentally overcharged you $35/month, I think they would say a contract is a contract. Now I’m not a lawyer so there may be a law that protects them on this but I say don’t give in and go to another Honda dealership to get service done so you don’t have the bad blood.

OP
OP
zgida

zgida

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I mean I don’t know the technical mumbo jumbo. But if you were the one that signed and they accidentally overcharged you $35/month, I think they would say a contract is a contract. Now I’m not a lawyer so there may be a law that protects them on this but I say don’t give in and go to another Honda dealership to get service done so you don’t have the bad blood.
That's what I was thinking. The dealership told me that they want to avoid a $2100 loss, but if they don't take the loss, I will, which doesn't make sense.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey, Canadian also here. The lease contract is signed, which makes it legally binding. However, at least according to Ontario laws, a lease contract must, among other things, contain a "fair and accurate description of goods". It could be argued that the description was inaccurate.

You could tell them to get bent and maybe get away with it. You could end up in arbitration over it. I don't know whether it could legally be repossessed without a court order, that feels unlikely to me.

If you can't afford the difference (or simply don't wish to pay it), I say you either tell them to get fucked and hope for the best, or turn it back in and "walk away" from the deal in the hope that they give in and don't call your bluff.

OP
OP
zgida

zgida

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey, Canadian also here. The lease contract is signed, which makes it legally binding. However, at least according to Ontario laws, a lease contract must, among other things, contain a "fair and accurate description of goods". It could be argued that the description was inaccurate.

You could tell them to get bent and maybe get away with it. You could end up in arbitration over it. I don't know whether it could legally be repossessed without a court order, that feels unlikely to me.

If you can't afford the difference (or simply don't wish to pay it), I say you either tell them to get fucked and hope for the best, or turn it back in and "walk away" from the deal in the hope that they give in and don't call your bluff.
I will have to verify the laws here in Quebec, they might be the same. The difference isn't really much, it's more the principal. Something like this should have been reviewed prior to being purchased.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I will have to verify the laws here in Quebec, they might be the same. The difference isn't really much, it's more the principal. Something like this should have been reviewed prior to being purchased.
I agree. I'm more inclined to take the "a contract is a contract" route and just take your car elsewhere for service.

Good luck and please let us know what happens!

P.S. I am hella jealous of your lack of front plates in QC.

LoneWoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
I mean, since they already handed you the keys of the car, and you've driven it around a bit, I would say that if you don't want to pay it, you can always return the car. They're taking on a loss if you refuse to sign the new agreement.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Think about it this way ... if they messed up and overcharged you for something, the dealer wouldn't readily give that back.

Since that's the way dealers work ... don't treat them any differently than they would treat you if the roles were reversed.

You could also argue that you negotiated the HFP stuff into the contract and it's on the dealer to eat that since the contract is signed.

GODSBEST00

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 10th Gen
Last Friday (July 27), I signed a 60 month lease for a 2018 Civic Coupe Si with the HFP kit. I decided to go with the lease because it was much cheaper than the financing option for me, and I plan to buy back the car, provided their are no issues with it. I live in Canada, so taxes are higher, and to summarize, I signed a lease for $432/month for 60 months at 20,000KM (~12,427 miles for my American friends), including 18inch winter tires, and the protection package (plastic winter floor and trunk mats, mud flaps, etc). It seemed very cheap, considering the Si with the HFP kit is normally $500+/month.

On the lease contract, it states that I will be leasing the 2018 Honda Civic Coupe Si Kit HFP at the above price for 60 months. On Wednesday (August 1), only a few days after I have been driving my new car around, I receive a call from Honda saying they miscalculated the price and it should be $467/month instead. Their reasoning was, although the lease states the model is an Si with the HFP Kit, the HFP kit was not listed under the accessories and therefore not "considered" in the pricing. The car shows up under my name as HFP in their system.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I give in and pay the extra $35/month, or should I tell them that it is their fault, the lease is already signed? I don't want to be that guy that does this, but a contract is a contract.
I strongly suggest that you play the "dumb, I can't pay the extra money" card. The dealer will always make money no matter what. If they are not willing to let you keep the car at the price agreed to, then, I would suggest you tell them you want to give them the car back. Trust me, they won't want to take it back at the cost of loosing your business and becoming owners of a used car. Additionally, at that much money a month you should own the car outright at the end of the lease. In Florida, I bought the Civic Hatchback EX for 21,408 which also included the splashguards, all weather mats including cargo (original Honda), paint protection, and tints. The MSRP was 26k. Don't give in, stand for your rights as a consumer to pay for what you want how much you want and don't get bullied.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
leasing for 60 months is madness. That is past the factory warranty.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The main question is who is contacting you for the miscalculation. If it is Honda Canada, then you are kinda screwed as they are the lease holder, but if it is the dealer, then they need to do something to make you happy as a customer.

Just my 2 cents, but I find it would be tough to fight with Honda Canada as things will be messy at lease maturity or even when you go to buy-out the lease.
Sponsored