Honda hacking your head unit the pros and cons explained.

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I have Honda Hacked my Head Unit and Played around with it a bit and here is my experience.

You can put anything on it and run it on screen even while driving but why people want that option I have no idea I know if you are driving and watching Netflix or videos im gonna stay clear of you. Your kids and passengers have phone they can look at so that arguments is not really valid. Plus look out a window and enjoy the sites gezzz. I have loaded Waze, google maps, Netflix, you tube and google play store, pretty much the basics. And it slows the head unit down considerably as it was not made to run these things.

In order to run apps it needs an internet connecting so if you cant hot spot the car to your phone there really is no reason to hack the unit as you wont be able to run anything anyway on the free version. The apps are there but just like your phone no internet nothing runs. Pro version allows you to pull maps from a usb drive. Other then that you need to be near a wifi and connected to it through the car to use the apps which only works if you are well parked near a wifi.

There is the same issues as using your phone, gotta keep the apps updated so there is that. Have to regularly clear out memory space and cache files as again this head unit wasn't meant to run all this data.

The up side is if you are in car waiting for people or have to spend a period of time in the car and have a wifi or hotspot hooked up, can load Netflix and youtube but you can do that on your phone as well unless you just need these things on your main screen.

For the average person unless you are just hell bent on having waze on the head unit then Ill be honest there really is not much reason to hack your head unit. As anything that can be done on the head unit with a hack can also be done on your phone anyway or with android auto or carplay. Netflix and you tube can play on phone and then Bluetooth the audio to car with out a hack.

The only people who need the hack and can use it for a meaningful use is the mod crowd as ktune and hondata have on screen states and diagnostics that are useful and need the head unit hacked to work.

Those of us everyday owners It really is not useful , doesn't do anything our phones don't and slows the head unit way down plus needs maintenance. To be honest Ill probably just factory reset mine back and remove the hack.

But for those curious here are my screen shots.
20190223_183530.jpg
20190223_183950.jpg
20190223_184131.jpg
20190223_185006.jpg
20190223_190144.jpg
20190223_190803.jpg
I noticed the same issue. I didn't install Netflix or Youtube but noticed that the headunit becomes so sluggish with the HondaHAck install. I originally bought the PRO version so I could download Torque to get data on the car as I drive, even though I have my Google account signed in, it still is trying to get me to purchase the PRO version of Torque again so I gave up. I recently factory reset my head unit and it is fine again. I will most likely install Honda Hack once I get Hondata.
Sponsored

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is there a way to simply move some of the available data like boost gauge or fuel consumption to the infotainment screen without any of these hacks?

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is there a way to simply move some of the available data like boost gauge or fuel consumption to the infotainment screen without any of these hacks?
Probably with the new 2020's but not on the 2019 or previous.

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Ahhh ok. I have a 2020 and saw there’s a app section and instrument cluster setting. But I couldnt figure out what it was used for.

jdm5lughatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-L Nav
Country flag
I don't need an explanation, I fully understand it.

I just moved to a smart phone a little over a year ago, and did so kicking and screaming. And while it is nice sometimes to have the functionality of a smart phone, as an actual phone, it sucks. I will take my 8 year old flip phone any day. The reason I ultimately had to change was that so many new formats for text messages were out, my old phone was unable to read about half the messages I received.

And speaking of text messaging, it is the form of modern communication that I truly dislike the most. So incredibly inefficient. It ranks just below smoke signals and Morse code on the list of most inefficient forms of communication.
Just curious do you work in an office or in a customer service oriented business where you talk to people/customers/the public all day every day 100 times a day?

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So will Netflix actually run in the unit with Honda Hack? It's not affected by Netflix's DRM? I dont see anywhere where it shows Netflix movie running. I have long parking lot waits all the time. How does it slow the unit down if it is streaming?

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Does anyone know if I can fix the "not lock while running" feature with Honda Hack?

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know if I can fix the "not lock while running" feature with Honda Hack?
As in locking the doors? Take your physical key out of the fob and insert into the keyhole in the door. That is the only way to lock the car while running.

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
As in locking the doors? Take your physical key out of the fob and insert into the keyhole in the door. That is the only way to lock the car while running.
im aware on how to do it, but im trying to find away around pulling the key out and simply walking inside a store with the keys in my pocket and the doors autolock

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
im aware on how to do it, but im trying to find away around pulling the key out and simply walking inside a store with the keys in my pocket and the doors autolock
Not possible on headunit. You may be able to with the HDS tool, which dealers only have, but I doubt it.