Honda extends condenser warranty to 10 years for 2016-2018 Civics

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Per TSB 19-091 dated August 9, 2019:

"American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C condenser to 10 years from the original date of purchase with
unlimited miles.

This warranty only covers vehicles that have a defective A/C condenser from the factory. The A/C condenser was not
manufactured to specification. As a result, tiny holes may develop in the condenser tube walls that allows the refrigerant
to leak out."
Sponsored

raf702

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport SGP
Country flag
Will a Honda dealer confirm if its defective, even if its still operating? Or will only replace it once it fails? Sorry for the dumb question

Ksthomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Does anybody know if this means the 2019’s used different condensers that were manufactured to spec?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My apologies - I didn't realize there was an existing thread on this subject. @360glitch, @Administrator, or other staff member please delete this thread.

Last edited:

thaokou

First Name
kou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic hatchback
Country flag
Per TSB 19-091 dated August 9, 2019:

"American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C condenser to 10 years from the original date of purchase with
unlimited miles.

This warranty only covers vehicles that have a defective A/C condenser from the factory. The A/C condenser was not
manufactured to specification. As a result, tiny holes may develop in the condenser tube walls that allows the refrigerant
to leak out."
thanks for the info, my 2018 honda civic hatchback was one of the one that has a defective condenser. Im still waiting for my condenser to come in. its been 2 months, I heard they are trying to modified the condenser, is that true, since its on back order.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
thanks for the info, my 2018 honda civic hatchback was one of the one that has a defective condenser. Im still waiting for my condenser to come in. its been 2 months, I heard they are trying to modified the condenser, is that true, since its on back order.
Last time I checked, all the Online Honda parts stores were listing the part number as "Discontinued", but there did not seem to be a listed updated part number.

Wonder what they are putting in the 2018 & 2020 civics ?

Maybe, there was just a manufacturing defect, and the newer parts, made correctly, are in short supply ?

All of this I can understand - mistakes happen -- what I strongly object to is being lied to, and not being told what is really happening (which is typical of what one gets from Dealers)

I would be even more upset, if our 2018 Si was exhibiting this Condenser leaking issue, but maybe our car was manufactured late enough in 2018, that it does not have on a incorrectly manufactured condenser. ?? :dunno:

Honda should be able to inform my Dealer if my Vin # is one with the "assumed" badly manufactured Condenser... but that communication from the Dealer seems to be impossible !!

:bs::bs::dance::bs::bs:

In addition, I am starting to get the impression that there must have been some issues with the earlier Catalytic Converters. Why do some Civics stink of Rotten Eggs after just moderate driving, while other so no sign of any Rotten Eggs smell from the exhaust ??

For what it is worth, I have NEVER smelt any signs of Rotten Eggs from my 1987 Maxima (300zx engine), and it's ORIGINAL Catalytic Converter that is now over 32 years old !!! (and one would assume, inferior Emissions control to a 2018 Honda !!)

Did Honda "Cheap Out" on the 10th Gen Catalytic Converters ???

Is there any option to install a BETTER Catalytic Converter, and totally eliminate the Rotten Eggs issue ???

Last edited:

annmarie

First Name
Ann-Marie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
Country flag
Radiator is also made of the same defective materials... i have an antifreeze stain on mine.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
My brother in law has a 2017 HB sport, his AC failed and had to be replaced. My uncle has two 2017 CTR's - and has had no issues. I have a 2017 Si and with over 30k miles, the AC still works fine. My friend Brian, I think his name on here is bushfreakz, has a 2017 CTR and 2017 Si, and as far as I know the AC is working fine for both of his cars too.

So the failure rate, subjectively - seems not horrible. I use my A/C every day until winter, and then I use the defroster so I should know when mine dies.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
What was the symptoms of your failure?

Mine starts to blow warmer, more moist air after like 10-15 minutes, but seems to reset if it sits for a little while, which doesn't seem like it's out of coolant.

Yourooteeah

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Everyone please file a complaint with the NHTSA
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

This was my complaint, added in the "safety" part to make it more appealing.

The air conditioner stops blowing cold air at idle and occasionally even when driving. This may pose a safety issue in hotter climates if there are children, elderly people, special needs persons, or pets in the vehicle when parked. Reading through the internet, there are hundreds if not thousands of owners with this same issue due to a faulty AC condenser from the factory. Honda has extended the warranty on the condenser alone but has not issued a full recall or warranty on the other parts/labor involved. This car has only 53k miles on it and this is the second time being serviced for this same problem.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This was my complaint, added in the "safety" part to make it more appealing.

The air conditioner stops blowing cold air at idle and occasionally even when driving. This may pose a safety issue in hotter climates if there are children, elderly people, special needs persons, or pets in the vehicle when parked.
Wow. How did all these people and pets survive in automobiles decades before automotive air conditioning?

Yourooteeah

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow. How did all these people and pets survive in automobiles decades before automotive air conditioning?
The potential for a dangerous situation are what recalls are all about. Children and animals die in hot cars pretty often. People may claim that "I left the AC on, I just ran into the store for a few minutes, I didn't know the AC stopped working". The whole point is to lower the chances of a simple thing like that happening. So yes it may be a safety hazard for occupants in the car.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The potential for a dangerous situation are what recalls are all about. Children and animals die in hot cars pretty often. People may claim that "I left the AC on, I just ran into the store for a few minutes, I didn't know the AC stopped working". The whole point is to lower the chances of a simple thing like that happening. So yes it may be a safety hazard for occupants in the car.
The only safety hazard is leaving children or animals unattended in cars with or without air conditioning.

Yourooteeah

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The only safety hazard is leaving children or animals unattended in cars with or without air conditioning.
There is no question that it is not a safety hazard, but people will continue to do it under the assumption that their car's AC should be functioning properly 2-3 years into the life of the car, hence premature failure of a factory component. The argument is not should people be leaving living things in an unattended car, the argument is that, this should be a recall not an extended warranty. It's not a question if these condensers are failing, it is when they fail, who will be taking care of the bill.
Sponsored