DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
You mention both a warranty and a recall. Can you clarify if it will be a recall or just a warranty extension? Is it something that should be done proactively?
Yeah, let me clarify, it is technically a warranty extension. So they aren't doing this repair if you aren't having issues with the compressor leaking. It's good for 10yrs/unlimited miles, if you make it that long without it leaking you'll be fine until the wheels fall off it. It's essentially covered the life of the car at that point. After 10yrs, they feel you got your money's worth out of the warranty extension.

We have:
1.)RECALLS. This thing could fail and cause something bad to happen, we could get sued, lets fix it for you.
2.)Product Updates. Hey, we found out this thing could break and inconvenience you, we sell a better part now if that thing broke, come change it out for free.
3.)Warranty Extensions. We got sued because these things failed so much. If yours should go bad, we will take care of it for you.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag
Yeah, let me clarify, it is technically a warranty extension. So they aren't doing this repair if you aren't having issues with the compressor leaking. It's good for 10yrs/unlimited miles, if you make it that long without it leaking you'll be fine until the wheels fall off it. It's essentially covered the life of the car at that point. After 10yrs, they feel you got your money's worth out of the warranty extension.

We have:
1.)RECALLS. This thing could fail and cause something bad to happen, we could get sued, lets fix it for you.
2.)Product Updates. Hey, we found out this thing could break and inconvenience you, we sell a better part now if that thing broke, come change it out for free.
3.)Warranty Extensions. We got sued because these things failed so much. If yours should go bad, we will take care of it for you.
Perfect explanation

Mufasa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

We have:
Do you have an idea with the back order for CTR compressors? I was told that there is a backorder of about 250 units, but I got "moved" up to about 50th place for a critical back order. They said Honda is releasing a redesigned compressor due to to these issues and that there are no compressors in stock nationwide.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Do you have an idea with the back order for CTR compressors? I was told that there is a backorder of about 250 units, but I got "moved" up to about 50th place for a critical back order. They said Honda is releasing a redesigned compressor due to to these issues and that there are no compressors in stock nationwide.
I have no idea on the status of parts back orders, that's more of a parts department question. I've never seen a CTR compressor fail, not saying they don't, I just only have like 20-30 CTR's in my local customer base. I have heard nothing about a redesigned compressor, it would seem odd though seeing that the only failure they have found is with the seal, not the compressor as a whole.

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Last year I paid way too much to get my car recharged w/dye added. I bought a UV flashlight, and have checked the condenser regularly, but no leaks. The car is making the common "low charge" hiss noises again. I looked at the compressor from the top, but couldn't get a good look at the pulley. I'm coming up soon on oil change time and was hoping that looking from below will give me a better chance to find compressor leaks. Is this a reasonable plan, or do I need to go about this differently?

Subydayo

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 4DR
Country flag
I received my warranty extension in the mail today; 2017 CIVIC 2.0L

June 2023
Warranty Extension: 2016-2021 Civic and 2017-2022 CR-V A/C Compressor Shaft Seal Leak

I didn't realize the CR-Vs have this issue as well. I'll search for threads/posts about the symptoms, but can anyone provide a link to symptoms or other issues related to the problem? We had the compressor replaced in 2021 for free, but I'm wondering if it's going to happen again...

I'm new to the site so I have some looking around to do. Is there a stickied thread for recalls or warranty sections that cover warranty problems/issues, related symptoms, and fixes?

Barnardj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
I received my warranty extension in the mail today; 2017 CIVIC 2.0L

June 2023
Warranty Extension: 2016-2021 Civic and 2017-2022 CR-V A/C Compressor Shaft Seal Leak

I didn't realize the CR-Vs have this issue as well. I'll search for threads/posts about the symptoms, but can anyone provide a link to symptoms or other issues related to the problem? We had the compressor replaced in 2021 for free, but I'm wondering if it's going to happen again...

I'm new to the site so I have some looking around to do. Is there a stickied thread for recalls or warranty sections that cover warranty problems/issues, related symptoms, and fixes?
I am not a sophisticated car guy so I would appreciate advice. In 2022, my Civic air conditioner compressor (in a 2018 model) was replaced by a Honda dealer because of a “moderate to severe refrigerant leak at the AC compressor”. There was no mention of a shaft seal leak. $1700 job. It seems to me this could fall under this warranty extension. What do you think? Thanks.

ICanLiftACivicUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am not a sophisticated car guy so I would appreciate advice. In 2022, my Civic air conditioner compressor (in a 2018 model) was replaced by a Honda dealer because of a “moderate to severe refrigerant leak at the AC compressor”. There was no mention of a shaft seal leak. $1700 job. It seems to me this could fall under this warranty extension. What do you think? Thanks.
It will never hurt to ask, but what you stated is pretty much the issue. Contact American Honda directly rather than go though your dealership, send them the invoice. If Honda doesn't cover the full expense, ask them to detail why.

I just received the formal warranty extension in the mail last week, so keep an eye out for that. I recommend logging your car at owners.honda.com with your address so you don't miss those notices.

Eddiep

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0
Country flag
Hey guys, I've been having issues with the AC in my 2016 EX really since I bought the car (bought it used from a Chrysler dealership). A week after purchase the AC was blowing warm brought it back and they changed it and said it wasn't leaking. It stayed operational for that summer and now when I went to use the AC for the first time this year it wasn't working again. I took it to a local mechanic for diagnosis and he said that there was oil leaking from it so I'm hoping with that Honda might cover this.

The only thing that gets me is that he said that the system does have freon, the AC has ground but it won't kick on. I talked to the tech at Honda and he says that if it's not covered under warranty that I'd owe $300 for a diagnostic fee because of the cost of the freon. He sounded pretty confident that the failure was due to the part under warranty, but I'm shaking in my boots at the prospect of having to pay $300 for them to find out what I already know.

I'll be dropping the car off to be worked on Tuesday morning. Crossing my fingers that it's covered. Has anyone else had a similar issue that has been covered?

IPx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Accord Touring Coupe, 19 Civic Hatchback Tourin
Country flag
I just took my wife 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback into the dealership today for them to take a look at the AC unit. I had to call 3 different dealership to see how much they charge to just look into the AC issue and each one had different prices. Galpin quotes me over $500, Honda of Reseda was about $300 and Keyes give the lowest at $190. They said if the issue fall under the warranty issue then the cost will be waived. The issue we had on her car was on Sunday when it was really hot in Los Angeles, none of the vents were blowing out cold AC air. After we got back into the car after eating, only the passenger side was blowing mid cold air but the driver side was blowing warm/hot air. I took it to another local shop that I take my car to first to see what they can do for me and they advise to let the dealership look at it because of the amount of work they have to put into diagnosing the issue would cost about $400. They did however check the freon level for me and verified that it still had freon. They didn't see any indicator of a freon leak but I told them I detail wash my wife car engine bay every 5 months, which I did it a month ago. So hopefully they get back to me and say that the issue falls under the warranty so I don't have to pay.

OldGuyGeek

Old Guy Bob
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe, 2010 Honda Crosstour
Country flag
A dude on reddit says he was told this by a dealer. Anyone else heard this? I hope it's true!
I got the notice in the mail today. Just when I was about to take it in because the A/C isn't working. This would be the 4th year in a row. The first year, under warranty, they tested it and charged the A/C system. All was fine until the next year. Then, still under warranty, they said it was the compressor and replaced it free of charge. Then the next year, under the faulty condenser warranty, they replaced the condenser free of charge.

Here I am, fourth year in a row and it's blowing hot. I called to see if I can bring it in to see if it was the compress seal. They said sure, but I have to pay the testing fee to see if that is the problem. If it is, they'll replace the seal for free but I'm still out the testing fee.

I'm sure they will tell me it's not the seal and it will cost big $$$$$$. I'm debating for a day to figure out if I'm going to do it.

Anyone else have this done yet?

IPx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to give an update on what they found out on my wife 2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback. They determine that the compressor and condenser are dry and low on freon so it will be covered under the Extended Warranty letter that we got but they also confirmed that the Evaporator Core is bad as well and need to be replaced which is not under warranty. The cost was $2,555 so the advisor told me to try calling where I purchase the car to see if they had any extended warranty that might help which we never purchase. I also brought up Honda GoodWill program or opening a case number and he said try any option I can think of because it's a known issue on the Honda Civic. I was able to open a case with Honda corporate but they told me it will take about 6-9 weeks to be approved or decline. I still had to pay $189.99 for them to take a look at the AC unit which the advisor said I might be able to get back with my case number. So now it's the waiting game until I hear back from Honda after I sent them all the information that the dealership found and the receipt of what I paid for so far.

Subydayo

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 4DR
Country flag
Hey guys, I've been having issues with the AC in my 2016 EX really since I bought the car (bought it used from a Chrysler dealership). A week after purchase the AC was blowing warm brought it back and they changed it and said it wasn't leaking. It stayed operational for that summer and now when I went to use the AC for the first time this year it wasn't working again. I took it to a local mechanic for diagnosis and he said that there was oil leaking from it so I'm hoping with that Honda might cover this.

The only thing that gets me is that he said that the system does have freon, the AC has ground but it won't kick on. I talked to the tech at Honda and he says that if it's not covered under warranty that I'd owe $300 for a diagnostic fee because of the cost of the freon. He sounded pretty confident that the failure was due to the part under warranty, but I'm shaking in my boots at the prospect of having to pay $300 for them to find out what I already know.

I'll be dropping the car off to be worked on Tuesday morning. Crossing my fingers that it's covered. Has anyone else had a similar issue that has been covered?
I'd assume the fee would be waived if they discovered that was the issue, but I'd make them say it or get It in writing before they perform it... cuz dealerships.

Wow, a lot of awful stories in this thread. I think I saw some leakage in the engine bay. I'm going to clean it up and see if it returns. The AC is blowing cold for now, but not trying to find out in August.

IPx

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The fee is only waived if the issue under warranty is found. They won't give anythjng in writing from my experience. Any additional issue was found while they did their diagnostic then you'll be charge. That was our case when we took it in yesterday and they found that the evaporator core is also bad. So I submitted everything to Honda Corporate.
Sponsored