951s

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2
Country flag
Would it be possible to fit a smaller AC-condenser for better the air flow to the radiator?
Sponsored

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
RE: What Russell from Acuity mentioned on Page 2 of this thread.

A Race-Style radiator: A High Performance Core with what is called "B" Tube Technology and multi-louvered fins, as well as a reverse-flow orientation design for lower outlet temperatures (necessary with the car’s intercooler placement in front of the lower portion of the radiator).
Description:
hpd2_1-2-1170x780.jpg

AND/OR

A Bar & Plate Oil Cooler with "Dual-Pass"
Description:
  • CSF #8119 Universal High Performance Bar/Plate Oil Cooler as Factory Engine Oil Cooler
  • Solves High Engine Oil Temperatures, High Engine Water Temperatures, and Common “Limp Mode”
  • Placed Underneath Passenger Headlight Using an HPD Mesh Insert vs. OEM Plastic for Airflow to the Oil Cooler
  • Durable Bar & Plate Design Withstands Impact of Road Debris
  • M22 x 1.5 Connections
  • 13″ L x 4.75″ H x 2.16″ W
This appears to be the only product listed to be released WORLDWIDE.
Assume that a PAIR of -10 AN hose would also be included (or not) depending your option to buy. Those would be a wise choice, as they would be custom fit for the FK8.

IMG_7380-4-1170x878.jpg
Good finds, but these are not the product we were mentioning. I'll try to remember to post here when it's released. Also, that upper rad appears to be an Si/Sport rad. FK8's have vertical flow direction while the vehicles with the 1.5t motor have horizontal flow direction. ~Russ

FK8_Track_Pig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Prelude, 2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1995 Nissan Micra
Country flag
If the car was developed and track tested in Japan/UK/on the Nurburgring, it's unlikely that the engineers ever encountered the types of temps we regularly see here in the States.

A very hot day at the Nurburgring is 80F. Same with the UK. Japan can get quite hot in the summer, but if Honda didn't run the car on track there in July or August, it's likely that very little track running was ever done in temps above 80F. At 80F ambient, the stock pads and fluid will give out before the car reaches limp mode from coolant temps.
It's not uncommon to see temps in the 90s here mid summer, its also not the outside air temps that keep these cars cool on the Nurburgring. It's the average speed on that track that keeps these cars cool, you'll be over 100 mph way more often and way longer at times than any other track out there. Its the slower tracks even on cool days that hurt these cars cause you're not getting as much airflow cause the front end design of these cars aren't the best.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
It's not uncommon to see temps in the 90s here mid summer, its also not the outside air temps that keep these cars cool on the Nurburgring. It's the average speed on that track that keeps these cars cool, you'll be over 100 mph way more often and way longer at times than any other track out there. Its the slower tracks even on cool days that hurt these cars cause you're not getting as much airflow cause the front end design of these cars aren't the best.
In Germany, yes, but not usually in the Eifel Mountains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NĂĽrburgring#Climate

Also, as you said, the average speed greatly helps with cooling. Top speed on my local track is only the top of 4th gear (~115mph) and the average speed is much lower than the Nurburgring (~70mph).

Weather is way hotter / more humid here as well. The September all time record high temp at the Nurburgring is 86F. At my local track, the high was >90F 23 out of 30 days in September, and relative humidity was over 90% every day of the month except 1 (when it was 88%). That is brutal for cooling, especially at such a low average speed.

http://weather.gfc.state.ga.us/climate/daw.19

If Honda was actually testing their cars in hot/humid climates like what we see here, maybe the car would have adequate cooling. But they are testing in environments with summertime average temps between 70-75F vs. the 90F+ average temps that you get in many US states in the summer.

Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good finds, but these are not the product we were mentioning. I'll try to remember to post here when it's released. Also, that upper rad appears to be an Si/Sport rad. FK8's have vertical flow direction while the vehicles with the 1.5t motor have horizontal flow direction. ~Russ
It’ll be major downer if the new product is a pair radiator hoses. Can you confirm that this is not the case?

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
It’ll be major downer if the new product is a pair radiator hoses. Can you confirm that this is not the case?
If we were just releasing radiator hoses in a new material, I wouldn't have suggested they can reduce ECT further. Swapping radiator hoses for silicone only improves the hoses ability to deal with higher underhood temps. We'll release a tech vid with it to explain the new product. Be patient, Billie Eilish.

~Russ

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Remember, C7 ZO6's were "tested" in Arizona and no overheating issues were found. They overheated like crazy in TX if ambient temps were over 80 degrees. I bet test results for the Type R would be the same, "zero overheating problems." :rolleyes1:

FK8_Track_Pig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Prelude, 2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1995 Nissan Micra
Country flag
In Germany, yes, but not usually in the Eifel Mountains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NĂĽrburgring#Climate

Also, as you said, the average speed greatly helps with cooling. Top speed on my local track is only the top of 4th gear (~115mph) and the average speed is much lower than the Nurburgring (~70mph).

Weather is way hotter / more humid here as well. The September all time record high temp at the Nurburgring is 86F. At my local track, the high was >90F 23 out of 30 days in September, and relative humidity was over 90% every day of the month except 1 (when it was 88%). That is brutal for cooling, especially at such a low average speed.

http://weather.gfc.state.ga.us/climate/daw.19

If Honda was actually testing their cars in hot/humid climates like what we see here, maybe the car would have adequate cooling. But they are testing in environments with summertime average temps between 70-75F vs. the 90F+ average temps that you get in many US states in the summer.
If you're going by Wikipedia that's some old data, we had a HOT summer last year, all of Europe including Nurburg. I live a hour away and the last summer day I was at the ring it was well in the high 80s. Outside temps do have an affect on overheating but people are still over heating these cars on low temp track days. I do agree Honda should of tested this car more in different places and different tracks since the avg speed of the ring can keep any car from overheating regardless of the outside temp.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If we were just releasing radiator hoses in a new material, I wouldn't have suggested they can reduce ECT further. Swapping radiator hoses for silicone only improves the hoses ability to deal with higher underhood temps. We'll release a tech vid with it to explain the new product. Be patient, Billie Eilish.

~Russ
I am looking forward to this big time!

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Ok, so tbh, I was dying to tell you more when you said "It’ll be major downer if the new product is a pair radiator hoses. ". If you notice in my reply to that one, I had said "If we were just releasing radiator hoses in a new material, I wouldn't have suggested they can reduce ECT further." I basically alluded to the fact that they were radiator hoses but they weren't just silicone hoses but something more. We had to keep this product under pretty tight wraps before launch since it's so unusual. Very excited to finally have launched them though! :)

~Russ

OP
OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
2.5 C in reduction but only if you have multitude of other mods installed.

I guess most people who will buy this will already have the other mods.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
2.5 C in reduction but only if you have multitude of other mods installed.

I guess most people who will buy this will already have the other mods.
LOL, this is a common response from people without a background in heat transfer. We come from a level of motorsports where an F1 or LMP team will literally pay 10's of thousands of dollars to drop coolant temps a few degrees F. That's an extreme case, but the point is rejecting heat without adding a ton of weight or drag to a car is very involved. These add no appreciable weight, no appreciable drag, and can get 4.5F more cooling out of a system that's already been optimized as much as possible. That's a big deal. Make no mistake, these hoses are meant for the track, where the FK8 struggles on hot days. Last year, I can't tell you how many FK8's we saw overheat at time attack, road race, and hpde events. It was insane. For the guys that have overheated at the track already, have tried other cooling mods, and still aren't getting temps where they need it, 4.5F (2.5C) can be a lifesaver. If you are pushing your car in hot temps and/or with an upgraded IC, you are going to have to deal with overheating and will eventually need silicone hoses. Our philosophy is that you are going to have to get silicone hoses if you are pushing your car, would you prefer silicone hoses that do nothing more than handle increased temps or would you rather some that help make your car better? It's a small gain, but it's coming from hoses and when you're fighting overheating, every little bit of thermal performance helps.

~Russ

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
LOL, this is a common response from people without a background in heat transfer. We come from a level of motorsports where an F1 or LMP team will literally pay 10's of thousands of dollars to drop coolant temps a few degrees F. That's an extreme case, but the point is rejecting heat without adding a ton of weight or drag to a car is very involved. These add no appreciable weight, no appreciable drag, and can get 4.5F more cooling out of a system that's already been optimized as much as possible. That's a big deal. Make no mistake, these hoses are meant for the track, where the FK8 struggles on hot days. Last year, I can't tell you how many FK8's we saw overheat at time attack, road race, and hpde events. It was insane. For the guys that have overheated at the track already, have tried other cooling mods, and still aren't getting temps where they need it, 4.5F (2.5C) can be a lifesaver. If you are pushing your car in hot temps and/or with an upgraded IC, you are going to have to deal with overheating and will eventually need silicone hoses. Our philosophy is that you are going to have to get silicone hoses if you are pushing your car, would you prefer silicone hoses that do nothing more than handle increased temps or would you rather some that help make your car better? It's a small gain, but it's coming from hoses and when you're fighting overheating, every little bit of thermal performance helps.

~Russ
So this raises a few questions for me. Is this worth doing if not tracking the car but would still like to maintain cooling?
Are there are any other mods that are suggested to be supplemented with these rad hoses?
What's the install like? Is it pretty straight forward like swapping these hoses, or being that they are reverse flow is there more involved??
Sponsored