Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So isn't the root problem the turbocharger and it's placement heating up the entire engine bay??
If there's less heat in the engine bay the cooling parts intercooler,radiator ,oil cooler all work better.
I've been thinking about using Zircotec on my turbo and downpipe for over a year.But it's not worth it on a stock turbo and downpipe.
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We are a business, so of course we make and sell products, but as a team of engineers that take their work and motorsports seriously, we don't particularly care for making parts that aren't needed and we definitely don't try to sell customers something their specific application does not call for. :)
Yet another reason Acuity gets so much respect. Thank you!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ordered a set a couple days ago. Looking forward to installing. Big fan of your products Russ.

Ok, so tbh, I was dying to tell you more when you said "It’ll be major downer if the new product is a pair radiator hoses. ". If you notice in my reply to that one, I had said "If we were just releasing radiator hoses in a new material, I wouldn't have suggested they can reduce ECT further." I basically alluded to the fact that they were radiator hoses but they weren't just silicone hoses but something more. We had to keep this product under pretty tight wraps before launch since it's so unusual. Very excited to finally have launched them though! :)

~Russ

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
So isn't the root problem the turbocharger and it's placement heating up the entire engine bay??
If there's less heat in the engine bay the cooling parts intercooler,radiator ,oil cooler all work better.
I've been thinking about using Zircotec on my turbo and downpipe for over a year.But it's not worth it on a stock turbo and downpipe.
Remember that the turbo dumps heat into air after it passes through the rad, so it is not impacting cooling. Also keep in mind that putting a turbo blanket on a turbo means the heat can't escape that way anymore, so most of it remains in the exhaust and heats up exhaust pipes elsewhere and the balance of the heat absorbs back into the motor and subsequently into the cooling water (which then goes to the radiator). If anything, the turbo is a flow impedance since it sits right behind the rad.

Yet another reason Acuity gets so much respect. Thank you!
Thank you for the kind words! We will try to earn that respect. :)

Ordered a set a couple days ago. Looking forward to installing. Big fan of your products Russ.
Thanks so much! Honestly, I can not take so much credit. I handle a lot of product development, but that's only part of the process. There's a small team of really dedicated car-guys (and gals) powering ACUiTY, and they are all to thank for anything that comes out of it. :)

~Russ

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Remember that the turbo dumps heat into air after it passes through the rad, so it is not impacting cooling. Also keep in mind that putting a turbo blanket on a turbo means the heat can't escape that way anymore, so most of it remains in the exhaust and heats up exhaust pipes elsewhere and the balance of the heat absorbs back into the motor and subsequently into the cooling water (which then goes to the radiator). If anything, the turbo is a flow impedance since it sits right behind the rad.

Thank you for the kind words! We will try to earn that respect. :)

Thanks so much! Honestly, I can not take so much credit. I handle a lot of product development, but that's only part of the process. There's a small team of really dedicated car-guys (and gals) powering ACUiTY, and they are all to thank for anything that comes out of it. :)

~Russ
Yup, with the stock turbo being so compact with high back pressure and being bolted directly onto the headifold instead of a traditional turbo manifold, running a turbo blanket might not the the best idea. It keeps the heat within the turbo and gets it much hotter than without a blanket. The benefit is lower engine bay temps/radiant heat. The potentioal downside is the increased conductive heat from the turbo getting extra hot and transferring that heat to the headifold which is right next to water passages in the cylinder head, and also the turbo CHRA that is oil and water cooled.

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Yup, with the stock turbo being so compact with high back pressure and being bolted directly onto the headifold instead of a traditional turbo manifold, running a turbo blanket might not the the best idea. It keeps the heat within the turbo and gets it much hotter than without a blanket. The benefit is lower engine bay temps/radiant heat. The potentioal downside is the increased conductive heat from the turbo getting extra hot and transferring that heat to the headifold which is right next to water passages in the cylinder head, and also the turbo CHRA that is oil and water cooled.
Fully agree. I think a good compromise would be a heat shield on the turbo, blocking anything like intake piping where radiant heat is problematic. Although I am not sure if any company is making a decent option. Similarly, you can wrap the objects being radiated to (the parts absorbing heat) with insulated, reflective tape rather than opting for the blanket.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fully agree. I think a good compromise would be a heat shield on the turbo, blocking anything like intake piping where radiant heat is problematic. Although I am not sure if any company is making a decent option. Similarly, you can wrap the objects being radiated to (the parts absorbing heat) with insulated, reflective tape rather than opting for the blanket.
Zircotec also puts their coatings onto plastic and Carbon fiber like on the F1 Cars (anything that can handle the heat from plasma spraying the ceramic).The stock intake manifold and TIP are made from heat resistent plastic.
So you actually could get the TIP and intake manifold coated with molten ceramic.That coating gives a 15% reduction in temp.
Sponsored

Last edited: