remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
They must be running a different tune than the factory one. With the factory tune, horsepower is reduced as soon as IAT hits 104F. The stock intercooler, even on a high speed track cannot come close to keeping temps below that. At Daytona on a 75 degree night I was getting 125F IATs WITH water injection on. Without water injection I was getting 145-150F IATs! The car just feels slow when intake temps get that high. I did not have any overheating problems at Daytona, even running a tune with no cooling mods, probably because of the high speed sections providing adequate air flow. I'll likely be getting a PRL intercooler before the next track night at Daytona, so I'll post here if I notice higher ECTs.
Sponsored

OP
OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think my next mod then is going to be swapping over to the 2020 grill and radiator and a modest IC like PRLs would be good for street use.

OP
OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
They must be running a different tune than the factory one. With the factory tune, horsepower is reduced as soon as IAT hits 104F. The stock intercooler, even on a high speed track cannot come close to keeping temps below that. At Daytona on a 75 degree night I was getting 125F IATs WITH water injection on. Without water injection I was getting 145-150F IATs! The car just feels slow when intake temps get that high. I did not have any overheating problems at Daytona, even running a tune with no cooling mods, probably because of the high speed sections providing adequate air flow. I'll likely be getting a PRL intercooler before the next track night at Daytona, so I'll post here if I notice higher ECTs.
They're running more power than factory (I think around 330hp)

Dwight

Banned
Banned
First Name
Delon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
7:40

According to the engineer at honda research and development, adding a bigger IC just reduces the airflow that will hit the radiator, will lower intake temps briefly but increase water temp which will increase the temps of the whole engine thus will just raise the intake temps again. He's saying to keep the stock IC.

What they did to combat overheating at the track is just increase the radiator size and cut some ducts for airflow to the engine
So the prl fmic I was about to buy is a total waste of money?

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
For road racing I would go with a tube and fin IC, Wagner or HKS. I am leaning towards the HKS one because it is not as massive as the Wagner.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I've been saying this for quite a while now. These massive bar and plate intercoolers are going to hurt cars that see hot track days. IMO these intercoolers are great for dyno queens but no ideal for track use. We need as much airflow as possible to the radiator. Ducting, AC condenser delete, upgraded radiator, properly sized tube and fin IC, etc are all pieces to the cooling puzzle.

OP
OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
So the prl fmic I was about to buy is a total waste of money?
I can't say, not entirely sure.
I've been saying this for quite a while now. These massive bar and plate intercoolers are going to hurt cars that see hot track days. IMO these intercoolers are great for dyno queens but no ideal for track use. We need as much airflow as possible to the radiator. Ducting, AC condenser delete, upgraded radiator, properly sized tube and fin IC, etc are all pieces to the cooling puzzle.
So I guess HKS would be the way to go for IC?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The same Honda engineer that allowed 35000 earlier cars as beta testers so they can introduce a more track-focused 2020 model with bigger grille and larger radiator to combat heat soak?

wicked pissah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
riced out fk8
Country flag
The same Honda engineer that allowed 35000 earlier cars as beta testers so they can introduce a more track-focused 2020 model with bigger grille and larger radiator to combat heat soak?
Nope, not the same engineer

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
...What they did to combat overheating at the track is just increase the radiator size and cut some ducts for airflow to the engine
That's not everything they did. Without seeing under the hood, there are some key changes that you'll miss. Can't release info now, but we have a product on these cars that will be available to the public in coming weeks that further helps reduce water temps beyond what a larger rad, a vented hood, and a more open grille will provide. :)

That engineer is Kevin Boehm, a test driver and now race car driver for Honda. He's only involved in development after the cars are mostly designed and I believe that while he was involved in the FK8 race cars while working with HPD, he was not involved in testing the road-version of the FK8, at least not much. Why Honda released the FK8 with as little cooling capacity as it has is a mystery to us though. I'm sure some engineer somewhere has a reason, good or not who knows.

~Russ

ACUITY

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Interesting to see if the 2020 have overheating issues on the track.
Knowing the changes that Honda touted (primarily improved air flow, I believe), it should do better but it will still struggle on very hot track days. Can't be 100% sure until some people start tracking them though.

Whatever it is, just for the FK8 or will the FC1/3 benefit as well?
It's something that's unique to the K20C1 platform and cannot easily be adapted to the L15 platforms. We 100% would if we could though. It will make more sense why it's not possible when the product is released. That's all I can say for now.

~Russ

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
This isnt really news I’ve been saying this for a long time as have others
Sponsored