HONDA EARTH DREAMS ENGINE LAWSUIT FILED FOR CR-VS AND CIVICS

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I live in S Wisconsin, and if I only drove 2 miles I'd purposely drive a longer route home to get the engine up to operating temps and hold them for longer.
well the longer route would be only 2.2miles lol. I live in a small college town.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
True.
I've read of CR-V owners in cold climates having issues. Short trips are much longer with the 1.5L. It takes a while to warm up in very cold weather.I've also read of some CR-V 1.5L owners seeing the engine temp gauge dropping at long stop lights.
I wonder if the problem is exacerbated in the CRV due to the extra load on the engine from its weight?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My trips are all short distances, I'm only getting slightly over 4,000 between my oil changes,going by the minder.
But I remote start my car almost all the time if its cold out especially, and usually its at full operating temp. Even when I don't remote start, it doesn't take long for it to reach the full temp on the gauge.
So am I still prone to all this oil dilution based on that? I have to admit, I can't really tell about the gas smell in the oil.
Also, does having a catch can installed help with any of this? I do notice fuel smell from that .

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good to know. Seems like your very short drives allow more fuel to accumulate without being burned off? I wonder if you'd notice a difference in the smell if you were to take it on a long highway drive.

All this not to say that your engine is being harmed. It could reek of fuel and still maintain its required viscosity. As long as there's not metal particulates in the oil indicating engine wear. You could still be fine.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
All the more reason to change your oil and filter @ 6K miles, rather than by the maintenance minder - if you own the car. If you're leasing and giving it back after 3 years - go with the maintenance minder.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
All the more reason to change your oil and filter @ 6K miles, rather than by the maintenance minder - if you own the car. If you're leasing and giving it back after 3 years - go with the maintenance minder.
NO! All the more reason to pay the $28 for Blackstone Oil Analysis. The maintenance monitor should be followed and oil changes should be documented. Documented oil analysis helps everyone.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Interesting thread.Looks like those 10 K mile oil changes aren't such a good idea after all. Which is what I always suspected. I DIY my oil changes every 5K or so. The MM is designed to keep quoted maintenance cost unrealistically low. Marketing BS. I would never go 10 K miles without an oil change. My 2016 civic NA 2.0 has never shown any increase in oil level. I check it weekly. Maybe part of the reason is the water thin 0w20 oil? Maybe it gets past the rings to easily? Just guessing.Can someone tell me why DI engines experience this but not Port injected engines?

Last edited:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Interesting thread.Looks like those 10 K mile oil changes aren't such a good idea after all. Which is what I always suspected. I DIY my oil changes every 5K or so. The MM is designed to keep quoted maintenance cost unrealistically low. Marketing BS. I would never go 10 K miles without an oil change. My 2016 civic NA 2.0 has never shown any increase in oil level. I check it weekly. Maybe part of the reason is the water thin 0w20 oil? Maybe it gets past the rings to easily? Just guessing.Can someone tell me why DI engines experience this but not Port injected engines?
Yep. Google search can tell you

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
my drives are 2miles every day and my oil reeked of gas at 60% oil meter in the winter
My hunch says you're not driving long enough to burn off excess fuel in the cc. I'm not sure if you've done a UOA. But you could always trying kicking up your commute to 5+ miles next winter and see if the issue subsides.

@Snoopyslr has gone 10K+ on Amsoil and can probably chime in on his findings.

DI is more prone to this because the injector sits directly over the cylinder. During cold startup and first few minutes of operation, a small amount of fuel can seep past the rings into the sump.

Things should start to normalize once the oil reaches operating temps. Fuel vapors are burned off, with the rest being extracted through the oil separator and PCV. But it takes a good 4-5 miles of driving (not idling) for the entire system to circulate.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There is much exaggeration in the "water-thin 0W20 oil."

It is much thinner at cold temperature than a 10W oil.
But at the engine operating temperature it is not even 1.5 times less viscous than the 10W30 oil. Actually, by their data sheet, Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W20 is only less than 20% less viscous than the once common 10W30 grade. If you could shake cans with each oil at 200 F, you could hardly detect any difference.
At the engine operating temperature these oils are 8 to 11 times thicker (slower flowing) than water at room temperature.

The problem is not the oil passing by the rings, but the fuel, in the opposite direction. DI indeed creates a much greater chance for unburned liquid fuel condensing on the cylinder walls and passing by the rings to the crankcase.

Last edited:

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
An electric car may be for you. Short driving distances = electric propulsion.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My trips are all short distances, I'm only getting slightly over 4,000 between my oil changes,going by the minder.
But I remote start my car almost all the time if its cold out especially, and usually its at full operating temp. Even when I don't remote start, it doesn't take long for it to reach the full temp on the gauge.
So am I still prone to all this oil dilution based on that? I have to admit, I can't really tell about the gas smell in the oil.
Also, does having a catch can installed help with any of this? I do notice fuel smell from that .
Anyone?
Sponsored