First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Engine is still out, the block has not arrived yet. BUT, today is critical as I might be able to share some news and also let you guys know how Honda operates, at least in Europe. I have learned a lot for their internal processes and I will share the story asap. There is one more thing to be done and hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow.

Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8, ek4, e46 m3 and crx mk2 soon
Country flag
Engine is still out, the block has not arrived yet. BUT, today is critical as I might be able to share some news and also let you guys know how Honda operates, at least in Europe. I have learned a lot for their internal processes and I will share the story asap. There is one more thing to be done and hopefully it will be done today or tomorrow.
Sounds great we'll be waiting for your update, good luck

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok guys, this is the story so far:

Around the end of June, the car started acting up. It took about a week for the error light to go off, showing misfires on cylinder 4. We opened up the engine to check the gasket and found out the sleeve on cyl 4 was cracked.

The local workshop placed an order for an expedited delivery from Japan, as Europe had no stock. This is quite strange, as one would assume that every single part number should be available, at least 2 spare parts. There were 4 complete engine heads available, but no short blocks.

When an order is placed, no matter if it is warranty or a customer order, Honda is shipping parts by the usual routes. If it is from Japan, by ship to Belgium and then by truck to continental EU. If an expedited delivery is requested (which means by airplane), the Honda distributor/dealer who places the order must pay for the transport costs.

In my case, while my local dealership placed the order by airplane, main distributor offices saw the order, contacted Honda EU and asked for Honda to pay for the transport in order to save the distributor 1000-1500 euro. Someone at Honda EU (which is in the UK still) said "ok, CANCEL the current order and place a new one". At the time the initial order was placed, Japan had stock of assembled short blocks. BUT when the order was cancelled, I was moved to the back of the line. So I had to wait for a new short block to be assembled from scratch. And to make things worse, whoever from Honda EU said "ok on the airplane transport", didnt go through with it. So not only I was moved to the back of the line, but also I have to wait on a ship transport. And we all know how shitty container transportation and global supply chain has been and still is for the past months.

As of 2 weeks ago, the honda logistics system shows that the part will be delivered to Belgium on December 5th. If airplane transportation is still on the menu from Belgium to Greece, the block should be here by December 10th. If not, it will arrive around December 20th or last week of 2021.

In the meantime, I called Honda EU at a UK phone number. I told them the story and the said to write an email to [email protected] and so I did. My email was re-routed to the main distributor offices at Honda Greece!!! So it is quite obivous that Honda in Europe DOES NOT have a centralized customer support and overall operations system in Europe. Each EU country is considered to be a unique selling point. It is not like in the USA where you may have local distributors per State but there is a central corporate office. This is quite strange because Honda EU DOES TREAT each EU country as a "State", keeping parts in Belgium and distributing them as needed. But when it comes to management, there is NO WAY to speak to a high ranking executive that works for ACTUAL Honda, rather than your local distributor.

It seems that things got really f*cked up ever since Honda decided to shut down the factory in Swindon. Even though my car (and many others) are/were manufactured in Japan, Honda UK along with the main Belgian warehouse, kept more parts in stock. Swindon was mearly an assembly factory, so a sh*tload of parts were coming in from Japan. That meant that more parts could be also sent to Belgium at one go, as the same ship docked at Belgium and then went to the UK.

It could be that the Belgian logistics/warehouse did ask for parts but they could not figure out a way to have everything shipped out and in stock as Honda Japan simply stopped sending big quantities to Europe like before. It will take a lot of time for things to settle with Honda EU.

Lastly, with the morons that run the EU overall being so aggressive with electric vehicles and the import taxation on things made outside the EU, it is a given that Honda presence in Europe will continue to decline. Hondas in Europe are crazy expensive and they are not being treated as such on a marketing perspective. Any Honda that was assembled in the UK, was considered to be "EU product" thus it did not face taxation from the EU. With Brexit, Honda made in the UK were also imports and it did not make sense for Honda to built a new factory elsewhere in the EU.

While all this has been going on, in the previously mentioned email to Honda EU, I complained not only about waiting for 4 months and counting but also for the fact that I got a shitty replacement vehicle, a Mitsubishi Space Star(....). So after that email, Honda Greece handed me a Civic Sport+ FK7 (MY20), which is the facelift. I drove it for a couple of days and asked Honda Greece to...sell it to me!

So I sold my fathers HR-V MY19 and got the Civic Sport+ MY20 for a decent price I might add. Dad got the Civic, I am back in the Mitsubishi Space Star and still waiting on the CR-V. On the bright side, I will get to choose between the CR-V and the Civic once the V is all fixed up!

Needless to say that I have already drafted a mods list for the Civic, which was not too difficult having gone through the research already for the CR-V!

I hope I will come back sooner rather than later with the assembly of the CR-V's engine!

Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok guys, this is the story so far:

Around the end of June, the car started acting up. It took about a week for the error light to go off, showing misfires on cylinder 4. We opened up the engine to check the gasket and found out the sleeve on cyl 4 was cracked.

The local workshop placed an order for an expedited delivery from Japan, as Europe had no stock. This is quite strange, as one would assume that every single part number should be available, at least 2 spare parts. There were 4 complete engine heads available, but no short blocks.

When an order is placed, no matter if it is warranty or a customer order, Honda is shipping parts by the usual routes. If it is from Japan, by ship to Belgium and then by truck to continental EU. If an expedited delivery is requested (which means by airplane), the Honda distributor/dealer who places the order must pay for the transport costs.

In my case, while my local dealership placed the order by airplane, main distributor offices saw the order, contacted Honda EU and asked for Honda to pay for the transport in order to save the distributor 1000-1500 euro. Someone at Honda EU (which is in the UK still) said "ok, CANCEL the current order and place a new one". At the time the initial order was placed, Japan had stock of assembled short blocks. BUT when the order was cancelled, I was moved to the back of the line. So I had to wait for a new short block to be assembled from scratch. And to make things worse, whoever from Honda EU said "ok on the airplane transport", didnt go through with it. So not only I was moved to the back of the line, but also I have to wait on a ship transport. And we all know how shitty container transportation and global supply chain has been and still is for the past months.

As of 2 weeks ago, the honda logistics system shows that the part will be delivered to Belgium on December 5th. If airplane transportation is still on the menu from Belgium to Greece, the block should be here by December 10th. If not, it will arrive around December 20th or last week of 2021.

In the meantime, I called Honda EU at a UK phone number. I told them the story and the said to write an email to [email protected] and so I did. My email was re-routed to the main distributor offices at Honda Greece!!! So it is quite obivous that Honda in Europe DOES NOT have a centralized customer support and overall operations system in Europe. Each EU country is considered to be a unique selling point. It is not like in the USA where you may have local distributors per State but there is a central corporate office. This is quite strange because Honda EU DOES TREAT each EU country as a "State", keeping parts in Belgium and distributing them as needed. But when it comes to management, there is NO WAY to speak to a high ranking executive that works for ACTUAL Honda, rather than your local distributor.

It seems that things got really f*cked up ever since Honda decided to shut down the factory in Swindon. Even though my car (and many others) are/were manufactured in Japan, Honda UK along with the main Belgian warehouse, kept more parts in stock. Swindon was mearly an assembly factory, so a sh*tload of parts were coming in from Japan. That meant that more parts could be also sent to Belgium at one go, as the same ship docked at Belgium and then went to the UK.

It could be that the Belgian logistics/warehouse did ask for parts but they could not figure out a way to have everything shipped out and in stock as Honda Japan simply stopped sending big quantities to Europe like before. It will take a lot of time for things to settle with Honda EU.

Lastly, with the morons that run the EU overall being so aggressive with electric vehicles and the import taxation on things made outside the EU, it is a given that Honda presence in Europe will continue to decline. Hondas in Europe are crazy expensive and they are not being treated as such on a marketing perspective. Any Honda that was assembled in the UK, was considered to be "EU product" thus it did not face taxation from the EU. With Brexit, Honda made in the UK were also imports and it did not make sense for Honda to built a new factory elsewhere in the EU.

While all this has been going on, in the previously mentioned email to Honda EU, I complained not only about waiting for 4 months and counting but also for the fact that I got a shitty replacement vehicle, a Mitsubishi Space Star(....). So after that email, Honda Greece handed me a Civic Sport+ FK7 (MY20), which is the facelift. I drove it for a couple of days and asked Honda Greece to...sell it to me!

So I sold my fathers HR-V MY19 and got the Civic Sport+ MY20 for a decent price I might add. Dad got the Civic, I am back in the Mitsubishi Space Star and still waiting on the CR-V. On the bright side, I will get to choose between the CR-V and the Civic once the V is all fixed up!

Needless to say that I have already drafted a mods list for the Civic, which was not too difficult having gone through the research already for the CR-V!

I hope I will come back sooner rather than later with the assembly of the CR-V's engine!
Wow man what a journey, hope you get the replacement block sooner rather than later, and congrats on the fk7 they are great too, looking forward for updates good luck

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok folks, so the car has been back on the road for more than a week, have already done about 700km braking the new engine in. I am running it only on ECO mode, havent gone over 3500rpm and obviously not WOT.

The car as expected feels fine, completely stock and along with the new clutch and new tires, it truly feels like the first day I got it from the dealership.

At the moment the only aftermarket parts on it is the intercooler, the wheels and the big brake kit. I 'll change oil, run it another 5000km and then start retuning!

It has been 7 months and 2 days for the dealership to get it up and running. Quite shocking. Thats why I did not pay a single penny, literally. Didnt pay for the clutch kit, not even the oil or oil filter or the air filter for that matter! I would have preferred having payed and have the car up and running sooner but at least this is some king of reimburtsment for the long wait.

The car will NOT remain in a OEM status, thats for sure. I will wait until the dust settles a bit with the dealership and throw everything back at it. In the meantime, I will also start some light modifying on the FK7 as well, first chance I get.

There has been no definite answer as to why the sleeve cracked. The car was running hot, no question there as the turbo housing was cracked. But I do not believe that this is a reason as to why a sleeve would crack. I was going through the automatically saved logs on ktuner and found a log where the car was running at AFR 11,2 at 200+km/h. Not great, not all that bad either I guess.

In any case, lesson of this whole story is a)do not run basemaps even on an otherwise stock engine and b) definately do not run basemaps on an aftermarket DP, even a catted one. Under no circumstances will I change my driving style, which is "full send" wherever :p. Thats just not me!

Here is to the newly installed engine, hope this one can handle me:headbang::beer:

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda CR-V AWD 1.5T RW2 EUDM 20211231_104927

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda CR-V AWD 1.5T RW2 EUDM 20211231_105058

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda CR-V AWD 1.5T RW2 EUDM 20220104_125739

Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is great to hear bro really glad for you,and good to see that your tuning spirit is still high too, i had my dads crv tuned and the difference is night and day now hes making 40-60hp from 3000 to 5000rpm and 50Nm more peak torque using 4psi less boost its crazy. installed prl sports cat downpipe recently too big difference in response sound and top end. Cant recomend him enough manolitotech from puerto rico he live tunes using teamviewer and takes 3 or 4 hours on average.
Anyways super glad you're back in the game and everythings worked out in the end really apreciate all tge info you post thanks man

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Ok folks, so the car has been back on the road for more than a week, have already done about 700km braking the new engine in. I am running it only on ECO mode, havent gone over 3500rpm and obviously not WOT.

The car as expected feels fine, completely stock and along with the new clutch and new tires, it truly feels like the first day I got it from the dealership.

At the moment the only aftermarket parts on it is the intercooler, the wheels and the big brake kit. I 'll change oil, run it another 5000km and then start retuning!

It has been 7 months and 2 days for the dealership to get it up and running. Quite shocking. Thats why I did not pay a single penny, literally. Didnt pay for the clutch kit, not even the oil or oil filter or the air filter for that matter! I would have preferred having payed and have the car up and running sooner but at least this is some king of reimburtsment for the long wait.

The car will NOT remain in a OEM status, thats for sure. I will wait until the dust settles a bit with the dealership and throw everything back at it. In the meantime, I will also start some light modifying on the FK7 as well, first chance I get.

There has been no definite answer as to why the sleeve cracked. The car was running hot, no question there as the turbo housing was cracked. But I do not believe that this is a reason as to why a sleeve would crack. I was going through the automatically saved logs on ktuner and found a log where the car was running at AFR 11,2 at 200+km/h. Not great, not all that bad either I guess.

In any case, lesson of this whole story is a)do not run basemaps even on an otherwise stock engine and b) definately do not run basemaps on an aftermarket DP, even a catted one. Under no circumstances will I change my driving style, which is "full send" wherever :p. Thats just not me!

Here is to the newly installed engine, hope this one can handle me:headbang::beer:

20211231_104927.jpg

20211231_105058.jpg

20220104_125739.jpg
Finally. Now drive it to Spain hehe

Corfu79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V

20211231_104927.jpg

20211231_105058.jpg

20220104_125739.jpg

Hi I am Greek too living in Canada. Nice project of yours. Sad to see the crack, lucky you had it covered under warranty, I think here it wouldn't be the same case.
I am having the crv AWD/cvt. Man I feel like it cannot go. That is why I was thinking of ktuner, so we can have some extra HP. The best would be this car was provided with 2.0T engine like Hyundai Santa Fe or Ford Edge.
Back to tuning,after checking your issue, I am now very hesitated.
I like the BBK, not sure if it fits AWD, we have one 19rims but we swap in winter with 17" not sure whether we may need adaptors etc. Was yours a plug and play?

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi I am Greek too living in Canada. Nice project of yours. Sad to see the crack, lucky you had it covered under warranty, I think here it wouldn't be the same case.
I am having the crv AWD/cvt. Man I feel like it cannot go. That is why I was thinking of ktuner, so we can have some extra HP. The best would be this car was provided with 2.0T engine like Hyundai Santa Fe or Ford Edge.
Back to tuning,after checking your issue, I am now very hesitated.
I like the BBK, not sure if it fits AWD, we have one 19rims but we swap in winter with 17" not sure whether we may need adaptors etc. Was yours a plug and play?
Greetings fellow Greek!

The BBK is bolt-on, obviously fits the AWD (as is mine) BUT you should use wheels that clear the calipers. You can ask D2 to send the template to check fitment. This kit will clear 18"s but not 17"s. So if you want it, you will need 2 sets of wheels(if you don't want to run spacers),a summer set and a winter set. I guess Canadian winters are pretty severe for just going with all season tires but then again, I don't think it would be too costly to get 2 sets of cheap wheels like JR in Canada.

As for the engine, the CRV needed the 2.0T RDX setup. I am not against tuning obviously and since there is no way of knowing what exactly caused the issue, there is no reason to lose faith.

I do say this however, having gone through all of this hassle: do NOT run basemaps. Even on an otherwise stock engine, get it custom tuned by a renowned professional. It's for the best.

Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I recently change my IC with Injen intercooler. The IC is used and bought from my friend. We did leak test and no issue with leak and no issue with fitment.

I also experience the same issue with you. IAT2 temperature would go higher than IAT temperature. In my case, my IAT2 temperature will go up starting 4400 RPM and up.

Do you happen to find solution to this issue? I suspect the IC is just not efficient.
How much boost are you trying to push after 4400? Also do you have a high flow cat or decat?

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
How much boost are you trying to push after 4400? Also do you have a high flow cat or decat?
Around 23 PSI. I have high flow cat. I already replaced the intercooler with Rev9 a.k.a Aliexpress intercooler, which has no issue cooling down Post Intercooler temp within 41-43 celcius range during WOT.

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Around 23 PSI. I have high flow cat. I already replaced the intercooler with Rev9 a.k.a Aliexpress intercooler, which has no issue cooling down Post Intercooler temp within 41-43 celcius range during WOT.
The fact that the Injen is short and fat could be the main issue.

Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Theres no way the turbo can flow that much pressure at that rpm turbo is way out of its efficiency range, was tuning on monday and stock L15b on the civic sport will make so much backpressure that anything over stock boosts after 5500rpm would increase knock regardless of afrs or timing changes so car is running 21 psi then tapers to 18 at 4500 then at 5500 again to 16psi or around stock, on the larger td03 from the Si and crv you can add around 2psi over all those numbers, but thats the limit on the stock mhi td03 turbos pretty much anything more is just out of the efficiency range and starts pumping just heat

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Ktuner showed on the 21 basemaps, steady 20psi till redline! Still, what you say is generally correct. The stock turbo is too small to keep that psi over 5500.
Sponsored