Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8, ek4, e46 m3 and crx mk2 soon
Country flag
My Ktuner showed on the 21 basemaps, steady 20psi till redline! Still, what you say is generally correct. The stock turbo is too small to keep that psi over 5500.
Sure but we like keeping the knock sensor under 0.70 and this was on the td25 not the td03 like the crv , dont get me wrong we could make over 20psi at 5500 but too much on the knock sensor for our liking even on the 98ron. This car made 200ps completely stock
Sponsored

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
Sure but we like keeping the knock sensor under 0.70 and this was on the td25 not the td03 like the crv , dont get me wrong we could make over 20psi at 5500 but too much on the knock sensor for our liking even on the 98ron. This car made 200ps completely stock
You can push more than 21 psi at sea level. AFAIK the CRV is the same TD025 as the SI. 98 RON is usually between 91 AKI and good 93 AKI, USA remote tuners say that gas quality (using 98RON) is not as good as 93 octane and Spain summer heat doesn't help.

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can push more than 21 psi at sea level. AFAIK the CRV is the same TD025 as the SI. 98 RON is usually between 91 AKI and good 93 AKI, USA remote tuners say that gas quality (using 98RON) is not as good as 93 octane and Spain summer heat doesn't help.
That is completely correct, the CRV and Si turbos are the same and they are TD025 (sort-of). I was running 100RON but what Vtek is saying also makes sense, despite being able to hold 21PSI or over after certain rpm, it makes sense to drop the pressure to keep the K.control happy

Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My tuner confirmed that our 98ron E5 local fuel is very similar to the usa 93oct that he uses in Puerto rico also i was talking about the td025 on the regular civic sport, as i said the crv and civic Si use the slightly larger td03 turbo which basically makes 2psi more all other things being equal but still on those the 23psi with which they happily run cant be sustained up to redline as the backpressure does not allow for more boost without heating the air to the point of deminishing returns( ktuner basemaps would push up to 27psi on my dads RW2 which eventually would cause turbo damage) car makes way more power on 23psi with adequate timing than the basemaps on 27psi and im talking 40-60hp difference from 3000rpm to 5500rpm? hope that makes some sense

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Theres no way the turbo can flow that much pressure at that rpm turbo is way out of its efficiency range, was tuning on monday and stock L15b on the civic sport will make so much backpressure that anything over stock boosts after 5500rpm would increase knock regardless of afrs or timing changes so car is running 21 psi then tapers to 18 at 4500 then at 5500 again to 16psi or around stock, on the larger td03 from the Si and crv you can add around 2psi over all those numbers, but thats the limit on the stock mhi td03 turbos pretty much anything more is just out of the efficiency range and starts pumping just heat
I am not on stock turbo. I'm using turbocharger with GTX 11 compressor and 9 blade enlarged turbine. This is custom made turbo I ordered locally.

The fact that the Injen is short and fat could be the main issue.
You are correct! The depth bring the back of intercooler very close to radiator so when the heat raise, post intake temperature also raise.

Vtek

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The compressor size is not the problem here, the turbine is the chokepoint the back pressure is too great and becomes inefficient. the gtx11 compressor with td025 is a strange combo is it the one from turbo centras? What is the A/R ratio on the turbo and comp?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
as i said the crv and civic Si use the slightly larger td03 turbo
No they don't
My Si had a td025. I swapped to a td03, and it pulls to redline at 26psi with 27won TIP and PRL race MAF. It did drop to 24 at 6000 or so rpm when I had a stock sized intake

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
The compressor size is not the problem here, the turbine is the chokepoint the back pressure is too great and becomes inefficient.
They are both a problem at that point. But yes, the Si TD025 turbo is a bit more efficient at high loads because it has 9 blade turbine instead the 11 blade on the other 1.5t.

My tuner confirmed that our 98ron E5 local fuel is very similar to the usa 93oct that he uses in Puerto rico also i was talking about the td025 on the regular civic sport
Are you talking about manolito? Derek told me and 2 other big turbo tuned friends of mine that our E5 98 is not as good as their best 93, it doesn't mean is bad, but is a bit closer to 91. As I said heat and also altitude (Madrid) doesn't help.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The compressor size is not the problem here, the turbine is the chokepoint the back pressure is too great and becomes inefficient. the gtx11 compressor with td025 is a strange combo is it the one from turbo centras? What is the A/R ratio on the turbo and comp?
Sorry, I didn't receeive notificarion about your reply.

No, my turbocharger is custom made. It uses GTX 11 compressor wheel style with 42/52 wheels, & 37/40 11 blade turbine. I know 9 blade turbine generate higher flow. Iwas just curious with this setup.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To get back on your cracked sleeve ,tuner 7Mod (in germany) posted a while ago that they repaired a lot of fk8 engines which had cracked sleeves .Those where all Fk8 's from europe.
So maybe there was some bad quality sleeves being used for some time by honda in europe?
I asked this also in the 10thgen group on facebook, and it seems in the usa they don't have this problem.

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So these are repearable?? I thought that being aluminium and such thin disformity cant be repaired. Maybe they are using Darton sleeves and call it a "repair"??

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So these are repearable?? I thought that being aluminium and such thin disformity cant be repaired. Maybe they are using Darton sleeves and call it a "repair"??
No no don't get me wrong, they rebuild the engine most likely sleeved them .
But they had lots of the same failures also headgaskets and cylinders cracks.

Daugaard

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V RW1 Jazz GP1 Prelude BA4 Civic ED6
Hi!

Great write up!

These custom parts for the intercooler did you save the CAD or are they possible to order somewhere?

OP
OP
Anger

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi!

Great write up!

These custom parts for the intercooler did you save the CAD or are they possible to order somewhere?
Sorry, we didn't use a computer to cut the pieces, it was all done manually but very precisely.

It was not difficult, an experienced machine shop will do it easily. It just take time. The fotos are a good guide and a machine shop will figure it out easily.

Although the injen is a "safe" way to go in the sense that I have done it and there are fotos and you already know the diffuclties, I d suggest going for another FMIC such as the PRL or the Mishimito(the 27WON seems to be way too large/tall and despite it will probably fit, it will be the most difficult one to handle).

The reason I am suggesting against the Injen, is that it might be short so easier to install/find the right position, it's also very thick, thus not allowing for the same air volume to reach the radiator, at least when not driving fast(say 50-60mph).

If I d do it again, I d choose PRL. I ve seen some CRVs in Asia having installed it, so I guess it does fit after all.

Daugaard

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V RW1 Jazz GP1 Prelude BA4 Civic ED6
A few more fotos

Close up of the cold side with the intercooler misalligned.
20200731_164517.jpg

It seemed there was plenty of space below the IC for the bumper but turns out there wasnt!
20200731_171446.jpg

IC has plenty of room from the A/C
20200731_171504.jpg

Test fitting the bushing. The bottom has the stock hole dimensions but we madw an extra smaller hole to the right so the IC mounting point would sit in
20200731_173759.jpg

Cold side stock bracket. A small inox extention was placed between the brwcket and the car
20200731_180138.jpg

Cold side done
20200731_191403.jpg

Hot side bracket. A small alluminium piece painted black was fabricated since the bracket wouldnt line up to the original hole
20200731_191741.jpg
Sorry, we didn't use a computer to cut the pieces, it was all done manually but very precisely.

It was not difficult, an experienced machine shop will do it easily. It just take time. The fotos are a good guide and a machine shop will figure it out easily.

Although the injen is a "safe" way to go in the sense that I have done it and there are fotos and you already know the diffuclties, I d suggest going for another FMIC such as the PRL or the Mishimito(the 27WON seems to be way too large/tall and despite it will probably fit, it will be the most difficult one to handle).

The reason I am suggesting against the Injen, is that it might be short so easier to install/find the right position, it's also very thick, thus not allowing for the same air volume to reach the radiator, at least when not driving fast(say 50-60mph).

If I d do it again, I d choose PRL. I ve seen some CRVs in Asia having installed it, so I guess it does fit after all.
Thanks for the reply.
I will look into the PRL.

I'd really like to get a flexi fuel setup but that seems to be hard on the G5.