lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I need to top my coolant off after losing some when I was putting my turbo blanket on. I noticed the Honda coolant is blue while other coolants tend to be a greener color.

Is there an issue mixing different color coolants? Is Honda coolant worth getting a jug of just to top my coolant back up, or should I flush the coolant system so I can use a different coolant?

Are there "better" coolants out there?
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Not sure with Honda, but I know with Lexus and other brands, you do not want to mix with the OEM stuff. I would just use the Honda stuff that's in there until you can completely flush it out in the future and fill with something else, if preferred.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Honda does not want antifreeze that has the ingredient 2-ethylhexanoic acid. It was something about damage to rubber gaskets and requiring more frequent maintenance.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The way Honda is, I wouldn't dare use anything but their coolant. That being said, yes there is an issue when mixing say, orange"GM Dexcool" with say the regular green stuff. It causes some type of reaction and turns to serious sludge. My buddy did it and it was a mess.
My Toyota used red coolant, and someone put the Orange in it before I bought it and it was a nightmare flushing that crap out :(

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Honestly, I'd just use the Honda coolant. A jug of concentrate can't be much at the dealership's parts store. And it's not something one changes a lot in the car's lifetime.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honestly, I'd just use the Honda coolant. A jug of concentrate can't be much at the dealership's parts store. And it's not something one changes a lot in the car's lifetime.
You are right .
Our last cars in the family with more than 10 year old and alway in good working order when bought new cars have their original collant..........

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I need to top my coolant off after losing some when I was putting my turbo blanket on. I noticed the Honda coolant is blue while other coolants tend to be a greener color.

Is there an issue mixing different color coolants? Is Honda coolant worth getting a jug of just to top my coolant back up, or should I flush the coolant system so I can use a different coolant?

Are there "better" coolants out there?

I'll use Honda coolant to top your coolant.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I just ordered. I'll post how it goes later on xD

EVANS Coolant EC53001 High Performance Waterless Coolant

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Evans indicates higher coolant temps just to give this info (used it before in my buick) not a fan. The coolant temps are elevated because it "works" better at heat transfer. Thats great but how will the computer respond to seeing the elevated temps? Pull timing and add fuel even though the metal of the engine is cooler than the readings?

Also If you ever need topped off you cant anywhere unless you happen to be near a supplier of evan's. Just a couple thoughts.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Well I had to order 2 jugs becuase 1 was just a tad not enough. So I'll have extra. As for it possibly reading a little hotter. I wonder if that adjustment can be made in the tune.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
It may not even pose an issue. Im sure if it was a problem in anyway it would be accounted for by the tuner. We are really only talking 5 to 10 degrees.

First time I converted it the (good 160) t stat was refusing to open and I kept spiking 225 to 230 in my regal.

Month later it had to come out for other maintenance and I never went back with it. Too much effort for too little return.....I think im just getting old and dont like fidgeting with "special shit" anymore.

Let us know how you like it.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I dis see that you have to flush the system nice and good before switching to this coolant. Tho I didn't get there special flush because it's going into a new block. And everything has been completely drained from the surrounding systems.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Evans indicates higher coolant temps just to give this info (used it before in my buick) not a fan. The coolant temps are elevated because it "works" better at heat transfer.
This statement could earn you a Nobel Prize in physics, or at least some major engineering award. "If true," of course, as CNN likes to say.

So coolant temperature is elevated because "Evans coolant" works better at heat transfer? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Higher coolant temperature is higher engine temperature. So the better the cooling the hotter the engine? Sounds like the global warming explanations. Polar vortex is caused by global warming...... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The "Evans coolant" is a worse heat transfer fluid than traditional water-based coolant because it has lower specific heat capacity and lower thermal conductivity. Most organic fluids, including ethylene or propylene glycols are worse heat transfer fluids than water. This is the reason why water is added. So using pure glycol or the "Evans coolant" (which is glycol anyway :D) will result obviously, in worse cooling.

Any coolant sold as "concentrate" intended to be diluted with water is already a waterless coolant, except it contains additional additives needed for water. This product is for old clunkers or odd vehicles which have corrosion issues. It may be fine for cars built with oversized cooling systems designed for inferior coolant. But this company is committing a scam trying to sell it to regular newer car owners using false advertising.

Do you have a problem with coolant boiling in your civic or components being corroded by the Honda coolant? :hmm: Really? :hmm: If so, you may use more glycol or pure glycol, but your engine will run hotter and wear out earlier. At higher temperature not only the oil will decompose faster, but it will have a lower viscosity from the beginning. I don't even need to mention the poor turbo getting inferior coolant.

Last edited: